Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 Days Post Op - Sleeved In Mexico - Dr. Ponce - Long Story

Holla everyone! ;) Just wanted to give a status of my experience with getting sleeved - and in Mexico to boot!

Arrived in Tijuana on Thursday March 8th, was met by a driver and driven across the boarder to the Hotel Lucerna. The drive was actually quite nice. I've been to TJ before, and I'm from LA, so I knew what to expect. The hotel was actually just 15 to 20 minutes from the boarder in a pretty nice area of town. Made small talk with the driver, met my coordinator Trish - and was taken to my room. The hotel was nice - modern - kind of like a "Ramada Inn", or maybe a "Marriott Suites" (kind of sort of). The rooms are nice, clean, nice sized TV, bottled Water, pretty tile in the bathroom, etc..... Really like any decent hotel that you stay in here in the states.

After check in I was driven across the street (literally) to the INT Hospital. It's also relatively modern, only 4 stories with about 13 rooms on the floor that I stayed on. When I say the hospital is CLEAN.. I mean.. CLEAN. You could dang near EAT off the floor. I do have to admit however, that after a while, the smell of "Fabulosa" cleaner, nearly made me sick.. but I digress...

I met with one of the doctors, who did the EKG and my blood pressure. I just KNEW that I was not going to pass the BP because I hadn't taken my medication in a couple of days, hadn't eaten, was STRESSED out with all that I was going through.. BUT, he took it and said it was really good.. like 142/80.. huh?? Had to ask my coordinator if they had a different numbering system in Mexico because surely that couldn't be right.. (being sarcastic of course!) The EKG took like 5 minutes and I passed with flying colors?? what?? So I cross the boarder and am in better health than when I left Atlanta?? Oh well, that was great news for me.

I left the hospital, went back to the hotel for the night - met my mom - who flew in separately and went to sleep. My surgery was the first one that next morning at 7. Got to the hospital around 6:30, they put an IV in my hand (first try!), got some fluids in and I was taken to the OR. I walked in myself, holding my IV bag with one hand, the back of my gown in the other hand (yep,they were about to see ALL of me - but dang it - can a sistah's arse be hidden for a minute??)

Ok.. let me focus here... It looked just like any other OR, they were playing what I consider to be "Mexican" smooth Jazz ... yes baby!! The operating table itself was skinny as I don't know what.. I told the 2 doctors/nurse in my best - trying to be cool in spanish... "delgado??" meaning skinny?? They laughed and said it's ok, hop on... The first doctor, named Dr. FRIDAY . um, I said to him, did you say FRIDAY? is that in English or is your last name Viernes, that means Friday in English (He said "you are a comedian")... um, no, just delirious and nervous, and when that happens, I turn into Richard Pryor, I don't know why!!!) So, the next doctor comes in and I say "Dr. Ponce??"... he says no, I'm the anesthesiologist.. Alright I said, now the party starts (they probably can't stand American sense of humor :P ). I told him I was talkative because I was nervous and he says Don't Be.. well, that was all I remember...

You know how you watch movies, and they do really quick flash backs?? Well, waking up in the recovery room was like that for me. I don't remember much except briefly waking up and swinging. I mean SWINGING like I was Muhammad Ali! I remember telling the young nurse next to me that I had to go - because I was going to be sick, and she kept saying relax, relax! I was busy trying to escape. Next thing I know, I'm back in my room and my mom and Trish walk in and my mother is yelling at me.. Sean, Sean.. OMG what are you doing??? I was not in the hospital bed - I was on the floor! I know this sounds crazy, but I was so freakin sick from the anesthesia that I couldn't get LOW, enough.. FLAT enough, and COLD enough! I had to get to the floor STAT!! The nurses are rushing in, my mother is screaming SEAN IT'S AGAINST THE LAW TO BE ON THE FLOOR IN A HOSPITAL... really Mom? really?? well, if you were sick with what feels like the ebola virus - you would care less!

Anyway... the first 24 hours were like a nightmare. I was alternatively nauseous and in pain from the dry heaves. Between my mother barking orders at the nurses, then back at me..SEAN you are going to ruin your new stomach if you can't control those dry heaves!.. Um... lady, do you think I want to do this???? You think I want people walking in here with my arse out, on my tip toes, throwing up air in the trash can???

I was crazy the first 24 hours... I refused to sleep in the hospital bed, because it wasn't firm enough and was hard to get in and out of. So, yours truly slept on the firm, narrow couch and my mom in the hospital bed! Good Grief, they probably thought these ladies are nuts!! I kept telling my mother we needed to get back across the boarder to an American hospital because they don't understand my pain level here! See... when you spell DRAMA.. it's really spelled S-E-A-N!

They finally realized that I was having a reaction to one of the pain medications that they gave me. So after 24 - 48 hours - any many different medications, they found the one that basically knocked me out! I slept for 7 hours and on Sunday morning - I woke up and smiled at my mom. She said she had gotten up in the middle of the night to check on me because I hadn't been thrashing in my sleep, whimpering, etc.. she said I was so still that she thought they had given me an overdose! :)

I have to say that I have a low tolerance for pain, BUT a high tolerance for pain medication... Not trying to scare anyone but thank goodness my mom was there to help guide me through this. The nurses did later say that it's the first 24 hours that are the hardest and most folks get through just fine. I had a tremendous amount of gas..they kept telling me to get up and walk, and when I did, I had to walk the halls with my eyes closed to keep from being sick. :wacko: Can you imagine how I looked?? I had my yoga pants on, bra and an open back hospital gown. My hair was all over my head, and I was walking with my mother holding one arm, me holding the the IV, and my damn eyes closed! :blink: round and round the floor.. alternatively opening one eye and then immediately shutting it..

They'd be talking about me to my mother in Spanish (she has a functional level of Spanish), telling her she was great, because I was so spoiled! <_< .. Yeah, whatever ladies... just keep the dang meds coming so I can get better!

I left the hospital Sunday night, back to the hotel, and have been recovering nicely ever since. My scars are okay, still a little sore - but overall I'm feeling pretty good. Especially when I got on the scale and was down 10 pounds from the day of surgery. WOW!!

I met with Dr. Ponce and we reviewed my diet for the next 40 days. It's very similar to what allot of you are doing.. 10 days of Clear liquids and water, followed by another 10 days of water, broth, yogurt and "creamed" Soups, then another 10 days of similar foods, but can add small amounts of Protein... I was okay without food the first couple of days. I stayed full on all the water/broth. I just started feeling "head" hungry this weekend, and made the pivotal mistake of thinking I could eat a few "goldfish"... ummm, no, no Sean you can't! I felt sick within 5 minutes and vowed to NEVER do that again. It's like being one of Pavlov's dogs... you only got to show me once or twice, then I'm okay with following strict directions.

Would I do it again? Yes - in a heartbeat. The first 2 days were hell for me - but that's because of my own intolerance to pain (gas) and anesthesia (nausea) . Sorry, just have to keep it truthful. That was my personal experience, not that it would be yours. Bottom line, If I can get off my high bp medications, lower my already heading toward high cholesterol, and lower my pre-diabetic numbers.. then what do I care that I was in pain for a few days? Oh, I forgot to mention that when they took my BP, right before I left the hospital, it was 125/80........... and THAT'S with all of my drama AND no high BP medication...

I'm on my way... and thank God I did this...

Seannie

Great review! Sounds like you had an adventure you will never forget! LOL. I am sorry you had such a bad reaction to the meds and the anesthesia but you pulled through. Thanks for posting this.

Girl, i just love your adventure!!! Your mom is Awesome !!

I appreciate your honest experience! I am scared but if I know what to expect I can handle it better. Thanks for sharing!

I loled many a time reading this! great story girl!