Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Sushi Nightmare,lesson Learned :(

So today after 3 months post I decided to try one of my favorite foods pre surgery,Sushi. I used to love the California Roll and the tempura shrimp roll. We went to this "chinese" restaurant and it was buffet ( I know what a waste of money for a bariatric patient ) But I didn't pay, a friend who invited me paid for my meal. So I decided to try 2 pieces of Sushi and 2 small pieces of fresh orange. I ate the sushi and right after I was done, I had this weird sensation on my stomach :( It was painful. So I went to the bathroom and puked and my stomach hurt like hell. I learned my lesson that my sleeve is definitely not ready for this type of food. I used to love sushi ,it was one of my favorite meals ever. I used to buy sushi fresh from the grocery store so I was wondering if it was that sushi at that restaurant,it was not fresh made. I am so scared to try it again :( How long did you wait after surgery to eat sushi? I was thinking maybe sushi with brown rice would be better,but I am not sure if I will try to eat that again . My stomach STILL hurts after hours.

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I'm on pins and needles waiting to know when I came at sushi again (I'm only 3.5weeks po) ;-) I hope someone can give you some advice that we can both learn from.

I for one was told stay away from fried foods, so maybe the tempura is what did u in? Also nothing wrapped will be easily digested (sea weed or typical Cali roll).

Stick with the rolls with baked rice or at Lear brown so it's very dense.

That's all the advise I got from my Nut, but she also said wait a few months. So far I've only had seafood that has been the closest thing to my wonderful sushi.

Good luck and I hope it passes and isnt a thing of the future for us.

I was wondering about this myself. I ususally go to the all you can eat sushi place but they also have a to go tray. I think I'd buy the to go plate and fill it with sashimi and vegetables instead of the stuff with lots of rice or the fried stuff. I'm certainly not happy that this happened to you but I'm happy that you posted about it as a warning to the rest of us. I'll either take it easy my first time back or wait a little bit longer than you did.

Hmmm...I am just over 2 months post op. I too love sushi. The California roll is my favorite. I ate two of them a couple of weeks ago with no problem. I am wondering if it might be the rice expanding in your stomach that caused your pain. Next time, you might either try picking off the rice, or just eat one and see how you feel after that. Also, is this the first time you have had oranges post-op? The acid of the oranges might have caused this pain also. Just some thoughts. Best of luck to you! No one should be deprived of sushi! :)

I, too, love sushi and it's one of the things I can't wait to eat when I'm able. Thanks for the post and thanks to Vance for his comment. That gives us a little hope for the future.

I had my first sushi meal 1 month out.. I was so cautious and removed most of the rice, made it like a sashimi. It was fine, Actually I think may be its the orange ans vince mentioned. Dont worry it will get better, some kind of foods I couldnt tolerate before are just fine now, may be you had too much rice in those 2 pieces, Just go for sashimi now, and dont be scared, this phase is all about trials and errors :) and success:))

I still eat sushi, but only a few bites. The rice is definitely a problem for me. Nowadays, when I eat sushi, I typically split a roll with my husband, and I take the "guts" of the roll and eat them, leaving most of the rice on my plate. I get the great flavor of the sushi without the intolerance issue. My favorites are crunchy rolls (with "crab," avocado, and asparagus with a little tempura crunchy) and Philly rolls--not really "sushi," I know, but yummy ("crab," avocado, and cream cheese). My other favorite is one that does not have rice at all--it's called crab naruto, and it's the "crab" salad stuff wrapped in cucumber strips instead of seaweed and rice. Delicious and light!

There's a restaurant in Memphis called Bonefish and on their appetizer menu they have tuna sashimi. You talk about delish! It is basically tuna lighly seared on each side and served in thin slices on a plate. I can't wait to have that again. Straight Protein, right? And no rice. I'm sure it'll be a while before I can try it because I am only 8 days post-op. But for those in the regular food phase, that might not be a bad menu item to try if there's a Bonefish Grill in your area.

sushi is something I miss very much - I can't eat much seafood because of the high copper content - but I did have a little not that long ago - I agree with previous posters - it very well could be the rice - try eating it without the rice :)

Damn girl. Seafood is the only thing I got on my mind. I got all kinds of seafood in my freezer from gulf seafood like shrimp, crabs, asst fish, octopus, eels, and some others to imported stuff like seaweed salad, conch, vietnamese clams and so on. My wife has her steaks and pork chops and other meats but I dont like to eat them. I would be screwed if I had a copper? or mercury problem.

I started eating sushi (cali rolls) at 5 weeks out... I could only eat max 2. I still can only eat max 3. You may have just eaten to much too fast... ?? Hopefully the next time goes better for you. :)

I eat sushi, my favorite is eel. It's kind of a waste to buy it for myself because It takes about an hour to eat 3 slices (there are 9 in a meal). I hate throwing away the rest, but a sleeve girl has got to do, what a sleeve girl got to do. Best wishes

Hmmm...I am just over 2 months post op. I too love sushi. The California roll is my favorite. I ate two of them a couple of weeks ago with no problem. I am wondering if it might be the rice expanding in your stomach that caused your pain. Next time, you might either try picking off the rice, or just eat one and see how you feel after that. Also, is this the first time you have had oranges post-op? The acid of the oranges might have caused this pain also. Just some thoughts. Best of luck to you! No one should be deprived of sushi! :)

Thanks :) Actually I been eating oranges since 1 month post op. I still thinking it was because the sushi wasn't fresh :( I am so scared to try it again but I still have time for that.

Thanks y'all for your responses :) :) I will try it without the rice or with brown rice,since I had brown rice before and it was ok with my sleeve

Chinese buffet is definitely not where you want to eat sushi at. Hopefully you can try it again when it's freshly made. I'm not sleeved yet, but I know sushi fills me up pretty darn quick.