Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi sleevers

i believe (will verify Monday) my NUT told me that you need to eat your meal over a 20 minute time periodl, After you take a bite, squish away, wait 3 minutes start again, after 20 minutes your are done- can't eat anymore else it is considered grazing. I am remembering this specifically now because i just had a scrambled egg which i could eat only 1/2 of - and i stopped after the required 20 minutes.Am I saying this correctily?

I guess that I was never given a time limit as to eating a meal. I just ate slowly, chewed well and when I felt full I stopped. I did keep eating a few times and regreted it a great deal as I was miserable for sometime after eating. I did not vomit but did not like that feeling at all. I think that you will find a great deal of difference in people when they are eating, what they eat and how much as each persons sleeve is different.

My doc told me to take at least 30 minutes to eat a meal. I find that I eat too fast, it never takes me 30 minutes.

I had my first NUT appt. on Monday. She did advise to take at least 20 mins as it takes the brain that long to register that you are full.

I was advised to take 30-45 minutes to eat a meal. I am still working hard to reach this goal. I eat way too fast,it makes me really full too fast,and I feel like this is the reason I can't get much solids in.

I have found it EXTREMELY difficult to eat slow as well as drinking slowly. Plus also taking small bites. I try but seems like it only works part of the time. I still haven't "learned" to do this even with the discomfort. I'm feeling a bit un-normal when I can eat and drink much faster than I'm supposed to. Im trying to un-learn my old habits and learn new ones but when one has been eating and drinking like this for over 30 years it is a big challenge for me. I'm able to drink an ounce of liquid in a minute..I totally feel like I'm the only one that is doing this and I'm not even 3 weeks out. I feel like I'm already failing..

Is anyone else having this issue?

I haven't had my surgery yet but my fast eating has been a concern. I was told to get a timer to help me but it has seemed impossible to eat an egg and 1 piece of toast in more than 10 minutes or so. I'm also a Water guzzeller. How does it effect those of you who have had surgery?

I have found it EXTREMELY difficult to eat slow as well as drinking slowly. Plus also taking small bites. I try but seems like it only works part of the time. I still haven't "learned" to do this even with the discomfort. I'm feeling a bit un-normal when I can eat and drink much faster than I'm supposed to. Im trying to un-learn my old habits and learn new ones but when one has been eating and drinking like this for over 30 years it is a big challenge for me. I'm able to drink an ounce of liquid in a minute..I totally feel like I'm the only one that is doing this and I'm not even 3 weeks out. I feel like I'm already failing..

Is anyone else having this issue?

I have the same issue with eating fast and I still lose steady. I am 6 weeks out. The Water isn't a big deal. I could drink an ounce in a minute at 3 weeks out. I can drink alot more now. I just can't eat alot of solids at once but what I do eat,I eat fairly fast. Your sleeve will only let you eat so much. I've never eaten so fast I've gotten sick,just uncomfortable. If we just keep trying,we will get there. =)

I haven't had my surgery yet but my fast eating has been a concern. I was told to get a timer to help me but it has seemed impossible to eat an egg and 1 piece of toast in more than 10 minutes or so. I'm also a Water guzzeller. How does it effect those of you who have had surgery?

Hey there, =) First of all,once you have your sleeve and begin to eat solids like eggs and toast,you probably won't be able to fit in a whole egg and peice of toast in one sitting at first. More like a half egg and couple bites of toast or just one whole egg by itself at the most. If you eat it too quickly,it may make you sick,or just make you feel uncomfortable for awhile. I am 6 weeks out and am still working on slowing down with my eating,but I will get there soon enough. Things I find that help me try to slow down are taking a bite and then walking away for 5 minutes. Come back and do the same thing. Or if you are sitting and resting and don't want to walk away,make sure you put your spoon/fork down after each and every bite. I was such a Water guzzler b4 my sleeve! I could seriously drink like a whole bottle at once lol. I though it was gonna be a big problem after surgery but it isn't. I find that if I sip constantly (except when eating) I am confortable.I haven't had the urge to guzzle at all. You won't automatically wanna guzzle after surgery bc it will constantly be on your mind that your stomach is wayyy smaller now. Good luck,you'll do great!

I'm also a Water guzzeller. How does it effect those of you who have had surgery?

Eating and drinking is very different after surgery. I could barely drink an ounce of Water immediately after my surgery. I remember I went out on a boat and watched my family water ski and go tubing. I panicked for a moment thinking I'd never be able to water ski because I couldn't risk gulping that much water. It scared me to think of doing that.

Needless to say, time passed, and I healed, and I can drink large amounts of water. It just took a long time to get to that point.

Eating is something I still do slowly. I can't eat too fast. I need to physically stop between bites and let my food settle into my stomach before taking another bite. If I eat too fast, I become very uncomfortable. It only takes once or twice of that happening before you learn how to eat slower.

Hey there' date=' =) First of all,once you have your sleeve and begin to eat solids like eggs and toast,you probably won't be able to fit in a whole egg and peice of toast in one sitting at first. More like a half egg and couple bites of toast or just one whole egg by itself at the most. If you eat it too quickly,it may make you sick,or just make you feel uncomfortable for awhile. I am 6 weeks out and am still working on slowing down with my eating,but I will get there soon enough. Things I find that help me try to slow down are taking a bite and then walking away for 5 minutes. Come back and do the same thing. Or if you are sitting and resting and don't want to walk away,make sure you put your spoon/fork down after each and every bite. I was such a Water guzzler b4 my sleeve! I could seriously drink like a whole bottle at once lol. I though it was gonna be a big problem after surgery but it isn't. I find that if I sip constantly (except when eating) I am confortable.I haven't had the urge to guzzle at all. You won't automatically wanna guzzle after surgery bc it will constantly be on your mind that your stomach is wayyy smaller now. Good luck,you'll do great![/quote']

Thank you. Your unfo has been helpful. I'm so excited. 5 more days til my surgery.