Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant 3 Months After Sleeve Surgery

Well Yes it is true. I am 1 month Pregnant and just had the sleeve surgery 4 months ago. I am trying to eat more but it is a hard thing to do. I am forcing myself really hard to drink and eat more. Will I gain weight or will I lose weight during pregancy? After baby can I still lose? I have not gotten to my goal weight yet. Have you heard of anyone getting pregnant that early after their surgery. This will be my first child and I am 35 years old. I wasnt very big before weighting 223 pounds and now weighting 176 pounds. I always had a normal cycle, but I guess losing the weight really helped. HELP what am I in store for???

O my.. I had to sign a paper saying I wouldnt get pregnant for 18 months after surgery. I have to say congrats, but I am worried for you. You need to contact your doctor right away. Let us know what he said and good luck

Wow! First of all congratulations! What an exciting (and scary) adventure.

I have noticed a number of posts of women getting pregnant unexpectedly within 3-6 months after surgery. I thought it was hogwash when they said you become more fertile, but I guess it's true. I had my sleeve to that we COULD get pregnant, after losing the weight 12-18mos from now. I would suggest trying to find an OB/GYN that specializes or can work closely with your WLS doctor. I've seen some people talk about that helping them. Most of all, make sure you absolutely take all your Vitamins. You may need to evaluate if you need more/less of anything.

The good news is that your sleeve is not going anywhere. It will still be there during and after the pregnancy. It will take work, lots of preparation -- but I'm sure you will get the weight off, at least after pregnancy.

May I ask if you were on or using any type of BC? I'm worried because I don't like taking BC from bad past experiences, so we plan to only use condoms. Perhaps we need to reconsider?

So happy for you! First of all for losing close to 47lbs in 4 months and now a BABY! Let us know how it works out :-)

OK, I know someone personally who got pregnant after the sleeve. I met her on a gastric sleeve support group on Facebook. She got pregnant several months after the sleeve and hit her 100 pound goal a year and a half after VSG. She had a healthy baby and she continued to lose weight easily after the baby was born! It just took her a little longer to hit goal. She didn't have much to lose either. She is tiny. Many people who need to lose 100 lbs or less take 12-18 months to lose it all.

Are you able to drink Protein drinks? Many people just don't like them. I love them.

I would think if you supplemented with Protein Drinks, you would be able to get enough Protein and calories through out your pregnancy. Make sure to take your Calcium and Vitamin supplements. The baby will take what it needs from your body.

You will still be able to lose weight after the baby comes, especially if you breast feed.

Congratulations!

I have to go with the advice that you need to contact your surgeon ASAP. While this is not an issue for me, we discussed in our class how it was inadvisable to get pregnant for the first year. But since it's too late for that-accident or otherwise (and I am genuinely excited for you!!-were it not for my weight I might not have had the fertility problems I suffered with for 35 years)-At least find out what you can do to keep both you and your baby well nourished and healthy throughout the pregnancy. And I would surely not worry about trying to lose weight during this time. Just focus on keeping you both healthy.

Keep us informed. You must be so excited!!

I believe a baby is a gift from God anytime and everytime. So I am thrilled for you! congratulations to you and your family... I pray some with experience chime in...love to follow your progress!

Congratulations and best wishes! My only advice that I didn't see mentioned is to make sure you are getting PLENTY of carbs. Ketosis is very harmful for a developing fetus. You'll probably be sick of eating by the time this bundle of joy arrives but I'm sure everything otherwise will be fine. Please do check back in! :)

Thats great news!!!

Congrats! Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy. I am sure you can get all of your nutrition in by eating lots of times throughout the day. Keep us posted!

Sleeved 3/16. I'm pregnant. I started with a low BMi at 163 lbs down to 138. Was banded before and did band to sleeve. I am averaging 800-1000 calories a day. Today I over did at 1400 cause I found out last night that I'm pregnant and it was unexpected for sure. I don't want to gain weight! What do I do????