Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where Are You 200+Er's?

My loss has been maddeningly slow. Since surgery, I've lost just over 20 lbs (it's been five weeks today). Four pounds a week is good, sure, but with as much as I have to lose, that seems light straight out of the gate! Best of luck, everyone. :)

Hi There,

I'm new here as of today and am loving reading about everyone's experience. I had my surgery on January 30/12. A 42 FR Bougie was used on me but I am a little concerned because the results are not what I expected. I was 360 starting off and lost 41 before surgery. 319 onsurgery day and now, almost 5 weeks post-op am still 303. Only 16 pounds gone in almost 5 weeks. Staying between 600-800 calories per day for the most part so am very surprised. I do not feel much restriction at all- no trouble eating or drinking or doing both together... can eat 5 or 6 oz fish no trouble... I don't feel like this is normal and am waiting for pain or nausea.. haven't had any. Eating mostly soft foods still, but when I read, it seems like most loose at least 30 in the first month.. I'm off to a very slow start:(

Hi There,

I'm new here as of today and am loving reading about everyone's experience. I had my surgery on January 30/12. A 42 FR Bougie was used on me but I am a little concerned because the results are not what I expected. I was 360 starting off and lost 41 before surgery. 319 onsurgery day and now, almost 5 weeks post-op am still 303. Only 16 pounds gone in almost 5 weeks. Staying between 600-800 calories per day for the most part so am very surprised. I do not feel much restriction at all- no trouble eating or drinking or doing both together... can eat 5 or 6 oz fish no trouble... I don't feel like this is normal and am waiting for pain or nausea.. haven't had any. Eating mostly soft foods still, but when I read, it seems like most loose at least 30 in the first month.. I'm off to a very slow start:(

Have you talked to your doctor about it? Also, it could be what your eating too. I had a really hard time right before I scheduled my surgery and it turns out even though I was eating good foods, they weren't good for me. Everyones body is different, and some people can eat some things that others can't. For example, carrots aren't ideal for me to have as a normal staple in my diet, but dark veggies like green Beans and broccoli are. So if I eat a lot of carrots, even if I'm staying in my calories, I might not lose as much as I would if I ate more green Beans. I don't know if this will help, but I hope so! Talk to your dietician, they would have a LOT of great suggestions :) good luck and keep us posted!

Im in the 200++ club. So far going ok has slowed down this week. My highest wt was 340. Sx wt was 327 my current wt I'm proud to say is 293 feels so good to say I weigh in the 200"s. I also dont feel like you can tell. I had some ask me if i did something to my hair. I know they could tell i looked differentt but she just could not figure out what. I go back to work next week and everyone knows i had the sx im afraid they wont notice i lost any weight....

Good day all... I am new to this site and came on here looking for sleevers that wanted to lose over 200 lbs. I was sleeved on 2/14/11 and have lost 130 lbs ( highest weight 433 lbs) but I have no lost weight in 4 months...I go to gym but am frustrated with being stuck at 300 lbs...I have no one to talk to or who understand ... Everyone says look how much you have lost but I want to loose abt 50 to 100lbs more

Good day all... I am new to this site and came on here looking for sleevers that wanted to lose over 200 lbs. I was sleeved on 2/14/11 and have lost 130 lbs ( highest weight 433 lbs) but I have no lost weight in 4 months...I go to gym but am frustrated with being stuck at 300 lbs...I have no one to talk to or who understand ... Everyone says look how much you have lost but I want to loose abt 50 to 100lbs more

No weight loss for 4 months? Just shooting in the dark but maybe thyroid or food choices come first to mind. How much time do you spend in the gym and is it aerobic?

No weight loss for 4 months? Just shooting in the dark but maybe thyroid or food choices come first to mind. How much time do you spend in the gym and is it aerobic?

I was going to the gym 3 days per week 1/2 hour which consists of treadmill, epileptic machine and bike and I also lift weights for 1/2 hour...from November to January with no weight loss and February/March I have been going inconsistly because I became discouraged...I am off track with Protein intake and I wanted feedback on how sleevers broke plateaus when they still need to lose a significant amount of weight

Hello all.

I'm new, but thought I would introduce myself. I'm going to be self-pay and hope to get my surgery date in about a month. I still have to have my psych eval and since there is a history of a genetic clotting disorder in my family, I have to see a hematologist this week to see if I have the disorder so my surgeon knows what special steps (if any) he needs to take.

I had a lap band surgery about ten years ago, but I only had restriction for three months before my band broke. I've sinced moved to a different state and this surgeon hopes he can remove my defective band and do the sleeve in one procedure. I'm hoping that's the case.

I know that most of y'all are post surgery, but I have real concerns about surviving the surgery. I know most of that is probably in my head. But I have such shortness of breath, that I worry I'll just konk out on the table. My surgeon is so sweet and he doesn't seem concerned with the measures they take, but I'm nervous.

Also...my mobility is not great because I have bone-on-bone arthritis in both knees and I'm so large. Getting in and out of chairs, my bed, etc. takes lots of effort. I can't even imagine what it will be like with a painful stomach. Is it doable? I guess it will have to be... ;)

Hello all.

I'm new, but thought I would introduce myself. I'm going to be self-pay and hope to get my surgery date in about a month. I still have to have my psych eval and since there is a history of a genetic clotting disorder in my family, I have to see a hematologist this week to see if I have the disorder so my surgeon knows what special steps (if any) he needs to take.

I had a lap band surgery about ten years ago, but I only had restriction for three months before my band broke. I've sinced moved to a different state and this surgeon hopes he can remove my defective band and do the sleeve in one procedure. I'm hoping that's the case.

I know that most of y'all are post surgery, but I have real concerns about surviving the surgery. I know most of that is probably in my head. But I have such shortness of breath, that I worry I'll just konk out on the table. My surgeon is so sweet and he doesn't seem concerned with the measures they take, but I'm nervous.

Also...my mobility is not great because I have bone-on-bone arthritis in both knees and I'm so large. Getting in and out of chairs, my bed, etc. takes lots of effort. I can't even imagine what it will be like with a painful stomach. Is it doable? I guess it will have to be... ;)

Well, I can't speak directly to your situation like "do it!" or "no, don't do it!" That's something you and your doctor need to decide if it is safe for you to undergo surgery. If he says it is, then remember, it's in God's hands. The day you leave this earth is set in stone already. (That's not to say you can be careless...but you get my point...)

I think this can only improve your quality of life. Getting up from a flat position is hard for a couple of weeks, but you generally need to sleep in a raised position for a while so it's easier to get up from that anyway. If you are flat, you need someone to give you an arm up because it hurts a bit to try to use your stomach muscles. Well---I had a hernia repair, so it may have intensified that effect. It may not be as bad for everyone.

I was freaked out about not surviving the surgery too, because I have a husband that adores me and three little boys who count on me. I had no logical reason for thinking I wouldn't make it. I was thinking of some fluke or mistake or something. I had an excellent surgeon though, so I could talk myself down with that. There was more chance of something happening to me if I did NOT start losing the weight and even possible gain more had I not taken this step.

My two cents. That and 4 bucks can get you a cup of coffee! ;)

I am so glad to have found this thread! I was embrassed to tell my starting weight in other threads because it seemed like most people didn't have as much to lose as me. When I started the liquid diet I was 387.7, I'm almost 9 weeks post-op and I am currently 332.6. The weight has just been falling off for me and it's been awesome. I get the feeling that I will start slowing down here pretty soon but as long as that number gets smaller then I can handle the rest.

I'm 5'11 so my goal is 175, meaning I have about 213 pounds total to lose.

You guys are great inspiration, good luck and post often! :)

Hello all.

Hi, I still have some way to go, but I started at 385 with severe osteo arthritis at age 62. Ugh, the pain. I still have severe osteoarthritis and may still need knee replacement but the pain is a lot better and getting up and walking etc. a lot easier. I slept in my recliner at first because it made getting up so much easier with a painful stomach; the knees weren't bothering me so much after surgery--all the pain medication I suppose. Hope all the hematology test shows no problems for you!

Hello all. I have 250lbs to lose. I am 5'7" and weigh 440lbs. My doctor and I both agree that 200lbs is a good goal weight. I go in to get sleeved tomorrow 3/21/12. I'm nervous and excited. I haven't done great on the pre-op diet and my biggest fear is the surgery being canceled or having complications. Although I do admit that I did eat a lot less fat, carbs and calories in the last 2 weeks than I have ever done before. My hopes after surgery are very optimistic. I have a good friend who was sleeved in April 2011 and has lost 200lbs to date. Between him, my family, my bariatric team and God, I plan on making this work for me. I have never in my life lost more than 5 lbs and I have been overweight my whole life. Here's to a great brand new beginning!!!!

Hi, I still have some way to go, but I started at 385 with severe osteo arthritis at age 62. Ugh, the pain. I still have severe osteoarthritis and may still need knee replacement but the pain is a lot better and getting up and walking etc. a lot easier. I slept in my recliner at first because it made getting up so much easier with a painful stomach; the knees weren't bothering me so much after surgery--all the pain medication I suppose. Hope all the hematology test shows no problems for you!

Oh thank you. Yes, I'm hoping that the weight loss means I'll get a few more years out of my knees before they require replacement.

The recliner seems to be the way to go after surgery. I'll plan on that, then.

As one of those 200+ers out there, I just want you to find hope in my story. I've had a number of knee operations over the years, mostly related to athletic injuries, and they allowed me to use the knee pain as an excuse so avoid the work I needed to get into some kind of shape (other than round :) ). In no way was it as severe as osteoarthritis but I still used it as an excuse and allowed myself to excuse my gain weight. As the weight gain got worse, so did my knee issues. I was looking at knee replacements but I knew, in my case, that it was more related to weight gain so I kept putting it off and dealing with the pain. Eventually, as the rest of my health deteriorated, WLS became the solution to address my problems. As I lost weight, I gained energy and I wanted to lose more. Losing more meant exercise and I started with walking. I enjoyed it and got hooked. Being competitive, I looked for an outlet to challenge myself. I've found it and each of you will too. 200+ is a lot to lose. In fact you will lose 1/2 of yourself in this process but gain so much more than you can imagine. Good luck and we are here to support you.

I am glad to find this. At my pre-op appt. on March 8, 20 12, I was 410. FOUR-10! I couldn't believe the scale. My surgery is scheduled for March 28th. I have lost 18 lbs on my 2 week liquid diet so far. My weight has been a struggle my WHOLE life. Even as a 5 year old I was obese. I am so ready for a new life. I have a wonderful family. I have the best husband ever and four beautiful children. I need to be here for them, for me. I have never been in control of my weight. I have been wanting to have WLS for 10 years, but the timing with insurance and babies was never right. Now that I am finished having children and insurance pays for it once again, I can do it. Thank you all for being an inspiration to me.