Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Coffee + Preop Diet = Headache

This is my first post on this site...And first of all let me just tell everyone "Thank You"!

A friend of mine was sleeved back in October and I saw him working a Christmas Parade this past season and he looked great. Over the Christmas Hoidays, I researched the fool out of WLS options and all of you on this site helped me make the decision that a Vertical Sleeve was the right choice for me. I'm 41 and my BMI is 48.5.

I'm very forunate to have great insurance. While on Holiday, I contacted my local WLS center and scheduled a consultation. My surgery date is Feb.14th (Talk about quick) The day was open and I thought it would be a great gift to my wife and kids.

Now, let's talk about the Pre-Op Diet. I started on it yesterday, a day early, and it went fine. My diet consists of 4 Protein shakes a day with 1 small meal...Since cream is not on my menu, I am also giving up coffee. Today, I've had the worst headache in the world. I'm pretty sure its from the caffeine withdrawal. I'm hoping that this only lasts a few days...I felt so bad, that I actually hurled my 1 small meal about 2 hours after I ate it....

Bottom Line, I'm not giving up on my Pre-Op Diet...But I am looking for some advice on how to handle Caffeine Withdrawal....

Pre op diet is pretty much done to shrink your liver and to adjust to a new lifestyle after surgery. I was a heavy coffee drinker( 10 cups per day). I just ended it cold turkey. Next day I had a headache all day cas of withdrawal. I went to the store next day and bought some caffeine free tea, sugar free Jello, chicken broth and cream of mushroom Soup. My doctor didn't allow Decaf coffee either so tea it was and my favorite was apple n cinnamon flavored. The pre op diet will also teach you to look at the back of the labels as well. I was allowed to eat one meal which was 4oz of chicken or your choice of meat but broiled or grilled and one side of green veggies only. It was very hard at times and I sorta cheated the first two days by adding crackers to my cream of Soups and at one point eating out of my kids plate. That's when I realized how much of an emotional eater I was. I Reset my mind n started all over again the 4th day. I held up the pre op diet till day of my surgery. Now here's the kicker, the day before my surgery they said nothing to eat or drink after 11 pm. The day of surgery they hook u up to an iv machine and then they gave me the good stuff and the next I remember was waking up 5 hrs later and throat hurt, dry mouth and people telling me to get up n walk. I buzzed for the nurse n asked her if I can have crystal lite or some ice chips. She said nothing to drink till next day after the leak test. That was the moment I freaked and started asking myself what did I get myself into. I had to call the doctor and he had to tell the nurses to up my iv fluids. Then I calmed down after a while and just told them keep giving me the pain meds so I will fall asleep just so I won't think abt food or drinks. I passed my leak test and they brought a lot of liquids.< /p>

Anyways I'm four days post op and today was my best day, no pain, no pain meds. For the next 3 months I have to take an acid blocker and 2 Multi Vitamins, Calcium and B12. There is an initial disappointment cas u want to eat everything but once your mind is set for all the positive outcomes you both will be ok.

Just checking back in...Just to let you know my headache was not as bad today...I still had a small one, but hopefully the Caffeine withdrawal is about over. I actually woke up on Day 3 of my Pre-Op Diet with lots of energy...When I stepped on the scale this morning, I've lost about 7 1/2 pounds over the first 2 days....And I feel Great!

glad things are getting better! It does seem to get easier! So glad you have support!

Welcome to the site!

This is my first post on this site...And first of all let me just tell everyone "Thank You"!

A friend of mine was sleeved back in October and I saw him working a Christmas Parade this past season and he looked great. Over the Christmas Hoidays, I researched the fool out of WLS options and all of you on this site helped me make the decision that a Vertical Sleeve was the right choice for me. I'm 41 and my BMI is 48.5.

I'm very forunate to have great insurance. While on Holiday, I contacted my local WLS center and scheduled a consultation. My surgery date is Feb.14th (Talk about quick) The day was open and I thought it would be a great gift to my wife and kids.

Now, let's talk about the Pre-Op Diet. I started on it yesterday, a day early, and it went fine. My diet consists of 4 Protein shakes a day with 1 small meal...Since cream is not on my menu, I am also giving up coffee. Today, I've had the worst headache in the world. I'm pretty sure its from the caffeine withdrawal. I'm hoping that this only lasts a few days...I felt so bad, that I actually hurled my 1 small meal about 2 hours after I ate it....

Bottom Line, I'm not giving up on my Pre-Op Diet...But I am looking for some advice on how to handle Caffeine Withdrawal....

You mention that you are giving up coffee because cream is not on your menu. Did your doctor tell you that you cannot have coffee?

I am six weeks postsurgical and I have a cup of coffee every day. I was also allowed to have it before surgery and even a little in the hospital. I let the coffee cool a bit and add a scoop of chocolate Muscle Milk in my shaker cup (no sugar or sweetener of any kind, no milk or cream). I get 16 grams of Protein and my caffeine, and it is very smooth.

If you don't want to give up your coffee, ask your surgeon if you can continue?

OH gravy, the headaches are just indescribable for me. I'm 3rd day of liquids right now, and today was good. The first two days, I had headaches that rivaled a Migraine. I am glad I did it now and not day of surgery. My doc does not want people fighting with caffeine withdrawal while trying to see where you are in healing from surgery. Once I get home I'll be able to have 1 cup a day. There's really no way to combat the headache. You just have to push through. At least that was my experience.

I decided to go ahead and stop the caffiene cold turkey this week, even though my surgery isn't until the end of the month. I did not want to suffer through the pre-op diet battling withdrawal symptoms. I am- (was)- a major caffiene addict! The first three days were torture- massive headache, nausea and fatigue. The fourth day, I woke up with no headache and was suprisingly alert. I have felt better the last two days than I have felt in years. Who knew? I think I can do without the coffee and Coke, but I am worried about no BC powders- but hey- I may not need them anymore. I am truly shocked at how good I feel and my energy level. Y'all can do this!!!!!!!

I really resisted stopping coffee (my pre-op diet lasted three months), but in the last month I did manage to give it up and I was so grateful! Right after surgery I really had to work to get in enough fluids and I couldn't stand the thought of something as strongly flavored as coffee for the first week or two. The thought of dealing with feeling crappy after surgery and caffeine withdrawal really helped me stick to giving up caffeine pre-op. I had the headache and felt really fuzzy, but it does go away after a few days.

I did well after surgery and at three months was cleared for caffeine. I am enjoying my coffee again!

Lynda

Hi everyone..My name is Kim..I am new to this group and I was just moved up on my surgery date this week ..I am having the surgery on Feb. 21st and just started the Optifast yesterday..I am so glad that someone brought up this subject of the coffee/caffiene..I cannot fathom not having any coffee..I am not a heavy coffee drinker but I have to have the coffee in the morning..does anyone know why they do not want you to have caffiene? what harm is there in at least one coffee a day..I have followed the Optifast fully with 5 shakes a day and no food..but i did have small coffee yesterday and today..I see that alot of people have had this issue and I find it hard to think that I will totally have to give up coffee..I used to drink diet soda and gave that up cold turkey..but coffee is totally different..please help...thanks for all the support..

Thanks for all the great advice and ideas that have been shared in this Discussion...Just to give you an update, I'm on Day 10 of my Pre-Op Diet. I haven't had coffee in 11 Days and I feel Fantastic...I've actually dropped 19 lbs already.... I'm looking forward to my sleeve on Feb. 14th....Good Luck Everyone!

A great way to come down gently from the coffee demon is to combine your regular coffee with Decaf and over a week, gradually up the amount of decaf. It really does help with the headache.

Now I am a coffee addict - I just love everything about it, making it, smelling it, drinking it, thinking (dreaming) about it lol - can you tell I am a Seattleite? I will be having surgery this May and I have decided I need to give it up - all caffeine in fact, because I am addicted to it, when I start weaning myself off of it I could be on an episode of Intervention I am so crabby.

My love of coffee has gone way beyond love - it is hard core addiction. I have heard that caffeine is an appetite stimulant as well - so I really want to up my chances of success after so much failure in the WL dept.

I was able to quit smoking after 28 years of a pack a day - I can do this too.