Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you make your own cream Soup by blending a can of vegetable Soup (Campbell's) until smooth? I chose Vegetable instead of Beef with Vegetables (would be my first choice) because of the barley.

Have five more days of cream Soups, cottage cheese until I can eat some more variety.

Thanks

You should be able to. I can't see why not!!

Yes, zap it up! Works just fine. If the Soup has some Beans in it, it will blend to a smooth, creamy texture. After you heat it up, you can add some cheese, sour cream, or Greek yogurt on top for added Protein. :-)

I think you can. I made my own Soups from scratch prior to surgery and was given the A-OK to eat them. They included black bean and split pea. I just used my immersion blender on them.

It was more about the consistency than the ingredients. I think you are good as long as you don't eat a chunk of anything.

"Cream of whatever" soups are not particularly nutritious, you are probably better off with the other soups anyway.

Yep, it's a consistency thing, not an ingredient thing. Blend it up until it's totally smooth and enjoy!

~Cheri

I had a problem early on with Soups that had potato in them. The potato didn't sit well with me, creamed or not. Other than that, I don't think it matters as long as you strain any remaining chunks out, the same as you would do for the canned cream soups, such as cream of mushroom. I like the Anderson's Split Pea Soup. It has 9 grams of Protein in a cup and 130 calories. I could eat 1/2 cup at first.

Lynda

yup - the puree setting on your blender or an immersion blender is your friend! :)

This is how I lived weeks 2-5.

Lentil/ham with veggies

Chili

chicken veggie

Get that hand blender out and whirrrrrrrrrrr ... yum

Potato can be a little rough. And, potato doesn't really add much nutrition. I made some homemade potato Soup and froze it before surgery, but opted to feed it to my husband (who added bacon and cheese - lol).

Just be mindful of the carbs. If you are concerned that you are getting it smooth enough you can always put it through a strainer and mortar or ladel and that will guarantee only the finest particles go through.

If I had not had to step back to thinner liquids my hubby was going to try this with turkey chili and a bit of a weak thai spice, and add some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury protien powder unflavored. I can't say if it tastes ok yet. :(

A friend suggested making a low country boil, and saving the broth, and mix the broth, the meat, peas, scallops and a little potato with a cream and again some unjury...i really want to try that one!

Just remember the powdered protien has to be introduced last, and after the mix has cooled past 130 f. It will denature if it is too hot.

Thanks for all of the great information. I have looked through all of my literature but can't find out how many carbs is too many carbs. I will be two weeks post op Monday. What should I keep it under?

I can only eat a 1/4 cup at a time so adding a tiny amount of bacon and cheese would add up to a hill of Beans. I made my own Soups too and they are completely blended. I guess I can start eating them as today is my first day of full liquids. I can also do regular Protein shakes. Hmmmm. strawberry cheesecake shake?

Enjoy the vegetable soup!

cscake, I don't think you really need to worry about carbs when you are only on liquids or mushies. I blended up and sipped Wendy's chili in the mushy stage. It was divine, IMO!! I had some for dinner last night as a matter of fact.

Use your blender, stick blender, magic bullet, or other blending tool to mush up almost any soup/food if you like it. I actually ate some potted meat with a scrambled egg in the early stages, just to get a different taste. As long as you can create a smooth consistency, it's fair game, IMO. The only things I would avoid is beef and raw veggies, because they are a bit tougher to digest.

Good luck!! :)