Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Develope Dry Skin After Sleeve?

I was just wondering if anyone has noticed an increase in dry skin since getting sleeved? I am 1 month out and began to notice early on that I have to use 2 to 3 times more lotion than I use to. I think it might be due to the severe decrease in the amount of Water I drank daily (I use to drink about 3 gallons a day). Does anyone have any experience with this matter?

No experience with that (haven't had surgery yet), but I just read in a WLS book that patients can develop dry skin as a result of not drinking enough Water, like you said.

I use Neutrogena Body Oil on my skin. I have noticed that my legs are dryer than before, but I attributed it to lack of swelling now.

When I don't get in all my liquids, my kidneys hurt, so I'm pretty on top of that issue. :)

I noticed the dry skin pretty bad in the first month or so, but it got better as I was able to keep up with the liquid intake. It's just like everything else, you'll look at yourself and think "....my dry skin is gone, wonder when that happened?" lol it all gets better with time. Lotion up!!

Yes, yes, yes!! I'm always dry in the winter but it's a billion times worse post op. Now, in all fairness I will admit that I'm in a rough climate so that could be contributing, too.

If you think about the fact that my diet was full of fatty fried foods prior to surgery it's not much of a surprise. I exfoliate, use bath salts and lotion up like a pig after bathing. My hands are so bad I wear moisturizing gloves to sleep with a ton of lotion slathered on my hands. I have to use pumice scrubs and a foot file to keep my feet soft, too. It's a real issue, from head to toe!

I think I read somewhere that taking Vitamin E or fish oil can help with this, so you might consider that as an option. I just deal with it as best I can with what I can find here.

~Cheri

I am experiencing the same issue. I have found that Olay In-Shower Moisturizer works wonderfully. I even use it on my face without breaking out.It's fairly inexpensive, convenient and available in an auto-ship from Amazon. I swear by it because I just don't have time to lather up with lotion in the morning after my shower so I just do it in the shower.

I agree that we are eating way, way less fatty, greasy foods that use to keep our skin lubed up (acne prone for some of us). They also caused internal issues that we no longer have to worry about! Yay US! But Water intake is a factor as well. The more we get, the better we look.

My skin especially on my stomach and legs itches constantly. I use Cornhuskers Lotion and I love it. I think it is due to the decrease in your food and Water intake and that is is winter here today and 4 degress outside at the moment. I do have my humidifier up and running and that has helped. Also one of the major things is that you are not getting as much fat in your diets since your surgery as I know that I have not. This also makes your skin dry. I try and eat a tablespoon of Peanut Butter each week as it has fat and your body does need fat and so does your hair for those of you worried about Hair loss.< /p>

My skin has been dryer off and on since surgery and I developed a couple of odd scaly Patches that stayed for a week or two then disappeared. I do get enough fat in my diet and I drink plenty of Water.

I thought maybe my skin was drier because its in flux, trying to adjust to a smaller undercarriage. I have read it takes up to a year for our skin to readjust, so I'm just expected some oddness from it and I try to baby it with extra lotion and body oils.

Lynda

Feeeewww! It's a relief to know it's not just me. Thanks everyone for all the great advise! I am drinking more Water and that seems to be helping.

Oh Thank Goodness someone posted this...I thought I was just dealing with winter. I never had dry itchy skin until I had my surgery. I too drank tons of Water, and can not anymore, that aspect is very disappointing to me. I miss my water. I feel dehydrated all the time, especially if I eat something with salt in it or after Protein. I gag now every time I drink water, and that bothers me.

I have never really had trouble with dry skin in the past but soon after surgery my skin has been really dry and itchy especially on my abdomin.

Peanut Butter doesn't help me, because Peanut Butter toast is how I start every day, probably two tablespoons worth, 5-7 days a week.. :(

My skin especially on my stomach and legs itches constantly. I use Cornhuskers Lotion and I love it. I think it is due to the decrease in your food and Water intake and that is is winter here today and 4 degress outside at the moment. I do have my humidifier up and running and that has helped. Also one of the major things is that you are not getting as much fat in your diets since your surgery as I know that I have not. This also makes your skin dry. I try and eat a tablespoon of peanut butter each week as it has fat and your body does need fat and so does your hair for those of you worried about Hair loss.< /p>

Most of my body seems rather fine... my only issue is my face... around my lips and goatee, both sides of my nose and at the top of my nose and forehead...

I can get out of the shower (after using Dove moisturising body wash), dry off, put a reasonable amount of body butter (http://www.amazon.com/Manuka-Honey-Wild-Ferns-Butter/dp/B003TSJ5T2). But 15 mins later, parts of my nose are already dry... and I put a second layer on, and that normally works for a half a day of ok skin...

I've tried about 20 different moisturisers and this body butter is my favourite so far... but I think butters in general are better than the runny ones... they feel like they last a lot longer.

I'm wondering if there are any drugs to deal with this as I feel like the areas are expanding.

Btw... my operation was in Nov 13, and I would suggest that it is growing worse for me over time.... and I also eat fatty foods quite a bit (although in small quantities), and I drink a reasonable amount each day (after a year) - about 1 litre 0(.264 us gallon).

So I'm still struggling to find a solution to this issue... it is very frustrating as I do a lot of video work, public speaking and such... so the maintenance efforts are getting in the way.

Any advice?

I too have been fighting dry, itchy skin way worse than normal. The best moisturizer I have found is good old coconut oil you find at the grocery store for cooking. Apply it right after you get out of the shower and your skin is still damp. It is a solid at room temperature. Just scoop some out and rub it between your hands and it melts. Rub it in really well over your entire body. It isn't greasy, smelly, sticky, nor full of crappy chemicals. It is inexpensive too. I bought a good size jar for about $5 and have been using it regularly for my whole family for 2 months. We haven't even used a quarter of the jar yet. We first discovered this on a recommendation from my son's dermatologist. My son had horrible eczema and itchy skin. Everything we tried either burned or gave him even more of a rash. I was skeptical at first, but was willing to give it a try even if it proved the doc wrong. His skin was 80% better within 10 days of starting it and after 2 weeks it was as if he has never had any skin problems. I know it sounds weird, but I promise it works! We even use it on my son's chapped lips and chapped face around his mouth and it clears up in a few days. Since then we were all converted. My husband works outside and our temperatures regularly are below zero and commonly between -20 to -60 degrees in the winter at night. His hands get so chapped from the wind that they crack and bleed. He started slathering on the coconut oil at night and putting on those cheep cotton stretchy gloves overnight. It eliminates the cracking and bleeding as long as he keeps up on the moisturizing.

Grab a small jar next time you get groceries and give it a try. It really works! Ladies- it also works great instead of shaving cream! You get a close and smooth shave and your legs come out soft.

Have the same issue, I am dry all over, even my hair have become dry though I had oily skin before surgery.