Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hrt - A Chemical Sleeve Un-Do

Background: I'm in my 50's, sleeved tail end of April 2011. I love this way of life. I read threads about "what did you name your sleeve" and I think "stomach". Because (and I'm not knocking those kinds of thread, just explaining) to me this is how I should have been all along. All this surgery did was give me the small stomach I should have been born with. I can eat almost anything I want. This surgery gave ME control. Now, on to the subject of this post...

About 4 months ago the menopause misery sent me to the world of hormone replacement therapy. I'd tried everything holistic and OTC I could find with no relief. Within days on prim-pro I had relief from waking 10 times a night in a hot flash. I was lucky in that I did not sweat, but I would wake up feeling like I was on fire. But now I've noticed that along with all of the good (no hot flashes, being able to concentrate better, return of some sex drive), all of the "bad" of the monthly cycle is gradually returning. Last week I was starving for about 4 days. Within an hour of eating I was starving again. And it wasn't "head hunger" because it would wake me at 4 or 5 a.m. It truely never occurred to me that the full impact of my normal cycle was back, but that was exactly what it was. I found myself back in that part of the store buying "monthly supplies". I knew periods might come back but I wasn't prepared, as silly as that seems, for the full impact -- hunger, headache, cramps -- to hit me.

This is the first real concern I've had in terms of slowing down my sleeve success. I've been a very slow loser compared to others here but very consistent. Right now I'm at about 3/4 of a pound a week. Since I'm only 20 or 30 pounds from goal, I'm fine with that. My thinking was that I'll be there by the end of this year. But now I'm thinking that if one or two weeks a month it becomes a major fight again (coping with the hunger) I might be stuck where I am. I can live with that. But I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts with dealing with this sort of hormonal drive.

I'm on the lowest dose of this stuff they make. I'm going to talk to my doctor in a couple of weeks. But until then, what do you all think? Anyone else in this boat?

I'm 55 and was sleeved last February. I have been on HRT since 1991, a few months after my hysterectomy. I do not have any of the monthly cycles you are describing. Since I am now old enough to have gone through menopause with my one remaining ovary, that is all behind me. I have only the good side effects of being on HRT.

Have you talked to your OBGYN? Maybe this is temporary?

I'm 55 and was sleeved last February. I have been on HRT since 1991, a few months after my hysterectomy. I do not have any of the monthly cycles you are describing. Since I am now old enough to have gone through menopause with my one remaining ovary, that is all behind me. I have only the good side effects of being on HRT.

Have you talked to your OBGYN? Maybe this is temporary?

I would love for this to pass but he wasn't at all surprised. I read the insert w/ the pills and it says this might happen. So I knew it was possible, I just didn't think it would be quite as "normal" as it has been. Each month has become a bit more like old times. I called their office and they said they'd only be concerned if the period became constant, otherwise it was pretty normal as a "side effect". I didn't ask if it could be a phase, so I'll check on that.

Apart from the hunger, I can live with the rest. After a few months of relief, I really don't want to have to go back to the old days. I actually realized after I stopped having regular cycles that it was hormones that drove the "binge" type days I had. I don't know why I didn't connect the dots that the hunger cycles could come along with the rest of the hormone package. But then when you are waking 10 times a night ready to combust, you're not at the top of your game "smarts" wise. : )

Hiya DoOver,

Last year I was put on HRT Patches at the 'tender' age of 39.... my blood results showed early menopause but because I was still have irregular perionds, they said I was peri menopausal! I only had the Patches on for about 6 weeks and I was hit with a severe Migraine. I was taken off them immediately. We now know (something I have suspected all my life) that my Migraines and bad headaches are indeed, hormone related.

Around Oct time I started getting severe flushes that would cover my whole body in sweat, disturbed sleep, moodiness that was vile even for me, cravings and a weightloss stall from hell that I am still in! ( I havent lost a pound since 29th Oct). I went back to my doc who sent me for more bloods and then back to the menopause clinic. In the mean time the doc perscribed me with Clodine to stop the sweats and flushes. This has worked like a dream... I get, perhaps one a week? But it is done in seconds and no one else can tell. The menopause doc has put me back on HRT because I am so young and I don't want problems in the future, weak bones etc... I am hoping that the migraines won't return as Clodine is also perscribed as a preventative measure for migraine suffers... perhaps it will cancel out the migraines cause by the hormones? I have been on the HRT patches for about 3 weeks now and so far so good.

On to the subject of weight loss... I completely relate to you. I am close to my surgeon's goal of 154lb and fearful that the HRT will impede my already slow weight loss. It is hard to stay focused and positive but I am giving it all that I have got. My menopause doc wants me to get as close to a normal BMI as possible and that is about 30lbs away!

I really don't know the answers, I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone in this hormone battle...Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

I started menopause at around 39. It took a few years. I didn't do HRT, I refused it. I just didn't see the necessity as this is what our bodies are meant to do. I am a happy camper now, and other than being overweight, I am in very good health.

I know HRT is controversial, but if you can manage the "side effects" of menopause, it isn't a 100% sure thing that you need to do this. For me, the side effects were just inconvenient.

When I had my hysterectomy at 33, it made me go into immediate menopause - including the incredible moodiness and horrific night sweats. I was thrilled to go on HRT and am still happy with it. I never worried about the adverse side effects of HRT.

I started menopause at around 39. It took a few years. I didn't do HRT, I refused it. I just didn't see the necessity as this is what our bodies are meant to do. I am a happy camper now, and other than being overweight, I am in very good health.

I know HRT is controversial, but if you can manage the "side effects" of menopause, it isn't a 100% sure thing that you need to do this. For me, the side effects were just inconvenient.

I am an insominac. Have been all my life. The insomnia got worse after being sleeved as others here have stated. The fact that I am such a poor sleeper and was averaging about 6 hours of sleep a night with being awakened as many as 10 times a night with hot flashes was the tipping point. If I didn't have a stressful, thought required job, I still might have toughed it out. But I was actually at risk of losing my job due to the lack of sleep.< /p>

I tried everything else first. I finally bowed to HRT when I started experiencing severe symptoms of depression and my primary suggested HRT prior to an anti-depressant. He was pretty sure it was sleep deprivation that was driving the depression and he was right. I'm telling this part just in case anyone else is in this boat. Severe sleep deprivation can create depression. So treat the root of the depression when possible. (And a sleeping pill didn't do anything as the hot flashes drove right though it. Actually made it worse because I was still so tired in the morning.)

It's been about 4 months now and I am still surprised when I wake up in the morning and realize I've slept through the night! I can't tell you how amazing it is to wake up naturally -- no alarm needed -- having slept 6 hours straight. So it's a hard thing to think about giving up.

Hiya DoOver,

Last year I was put on HRT Patches at the 'tender' age of 39.... my blood results showed early menopause but because I was still have irregular perionds, they said I was peri menopausal! I only had the Patches on for about 6 weeks and I was hit with a severe Migraine. I was taken off them immediately. We now know (something I have suspected all my life) that my Migraines and bad headaches are indeed, hormone related.

Around Oct time I started getting severe flushes that would cover my whole body in sweat, disturbed sleep, moodiness that was vile even for me, cravings and a weightloss stall from hell that I am still in! ( I havent lost a pound since 29th Oct). I went back to my doc who sent me for more bloods and then back to the menopause clinic. In the mean time the doc perscribed me with Clodine to stop the sweats and flushes. This has worked like a dream... I get, perhaps one a week? But it is done in seconds and no one else can tell. The menopause doc has put me back on HRT because I am so young and I don't want problems in the future, weak bones etc... I am hoping that the migraines won't return as Clodine is also perscribed as a preventative measure for migraine suffers... perhaps it will cancel out the migraines cause by the hormones? I have been on the HRT patches for about 3 weeks now and so far so good.

On to the subject of weight loss... I completely relate to you. I am close to my surgeon's goal of 154lb and fearful that the HRT will impede my already slow weight loss. It is hard to stay focused and positive but I am giving it all that I have got. My menopause doc wants me to get as close to a normal BMI as possible and that is about 30lbs away!

I really don't know the answers, I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone in this hormone battle...Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Thanks. Can you check the spelling on the med? I can't find anything under Clodine. I'd like to look into any alternatives. I'm not dead set on HRT if anything else can manage my symptoms, but I need help of some kind and it was what is finally working well.

The best news is that even with eating as I am, I am gaining nothing. So basically, if this is as "bad" as it gets, I will be able to stay where I am. I can live with that. And I'm still thrilled with my results. 200 trumps 364 any day of the week and in any life time! And my highest was 364, many years ago in a land far away that I never want to go back to!