Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mushies - How Many Calories A Day?

I am 2 1/2 weeks post-op. My surgeon told me to eat mushies, get in 60 - 70 grams of Protein a day, and follow my vitamin/mineral regimen. I normally eat a poached egg with a few cheese shreds in the morning, a 1/4 c. of cottage cheese or refried Beans with a bit of cheese at lunch, and dinner is 50 grams of Protein, Isopure Dutch chocolate made with Water. Weight loss is 28 pounds in 30 days, counting pre-op.

I just put my food intake into Fitday.com, and that's less than 350 calories a day. Excuse me? The only time that I feel anything remotely resembling hunger is when I'm behind in taking my PPI. I still can't gauge fullness, which is why I'm measuring my food.

Is there a guideline as to how many calories a day I should be eating? I have never in my life been in a situation where I didn't know how much to eat. God bless the sleeve.

I just looked back at my food log from when I was about that far out, and I was getting about 600 calories/day. Now, at almost 5 months out, my nutritionist recommends between 700-900 (I'm usually at the higher end of that range).

I was told 400-600 calories, but that is rough guidance not hard and fast. I am in the pureed food stage and i am not sure how you are getting enough Protein with so low of calories, but i guess most of it is coming in the Isopure? How are eggs going down, NUT told me not to try them just yet as people often have problems with them.

I think you need to be careful with taking in 50 grams of Protein for dinner. Your body can't really absorb more than 25 or so at a time.

Add a couple of laughing cow cheeses for Snacks, some Peanut Butter, some greek yogurt. Or make your Protein shakes with milk to add some Calcium and some more calories. You are probably in starvation mode right now.

My thanks to all of you who took the time to respond.

​I'm taking your advice to heart, because I think that I'm in starvation mode, too. I'm walking half an hour a day, so add that to the mix. I'll split my Isopure into morning and evening, add the Greek yogurt (Fage 0% fat), mix the Isopure with lowfat milk (can't handle non-fat), and just try harder, I guess.

Soforreal, I'm glad that I'm not the only one struggling with this.

Cowgirl, I have at least one egg (poached) a day. Love 'em.

Thanks again, everyone, and have a Happy New Year!

How is your energy level on so few calories? I am struggling with extreme fatigue and weakness at around 500-600 calories a day. I am getting in around 60 grams of Protein. I gotta do something to get some energy back, it's depressing me. I want to walk, go back to the gym, just be normal again. My surgery was Dec 7th. I am taking extra B12 and all my Vitamins. So are you functioning well on so few calories?

5Dogma, I am with you - I was sleeved 12/12 and really really wanting more energy. I am eating right around 600 calories, but i have started to allow myself more carbs. I was staying in the 20-30G a day but i could barely scrape myself up off the floor. I am now having 40-50 total carbs a day and feeling a bit more energetic. I am taking all my Vitamins, getting in 60g of Protein and the Water too.

I meet with the nutritionalist on Jan 10th and I really want to figure out a livable calorie/carb zone because I love being active but don't want to do anything more then sit around when my energy level is so low.

Those of you who are still within the first month, your energy levels won't be too high yet - remember, your body is still recovering and healing. Just keep pushing the Protein, try to get your calories at a decent level, and keep sipping the liquids! I promise you that it gets easier!!

You definitely need some carbs, not less than 20-30 daily. That is the energy for our bodies. And anything less than 700-800 cals daily is starvation mode. Not good for your body. I know everyone wants fantastic results and early on we get really pumped losing all that weight. But this is a lifetime business now, so in addition to losing weight we must be vigilant about proper nutrition. And I can't emphasize enough to add Vitamins and supplements. Absolutely imperative. I know people say that Vitamins make them sick and they just can't do it. But JUST DO IT!! Most of us say we did this dramatic surgery for our health...well then do what it takes to be healthy, not just skinny.

Great Going Everyone!!! Kathe

5DogMa, my energy level stair-steps. I'll be fine, and then I "run out of gas." I'm trying something different today. Isopure with 2% milk for Breakfast, then 1/2 c. of Fage, 1/2 c. of Ricotta Bake, then Isopure with Water for dinner. That's about 600 cals, 15 gms. of fat, 33 gms. of carb, and 75 gms. of Protein. Let's see how it goes.

Indymom and grannyk, you are 100% right. I don't want to be a skinny, anemic, and osteoporotic person. I have to remember that this is for life. Thank you for the reminder.

Me too, I didn't do this to get skinny, I did this to get healthy and I want a slow weight loss because of my age which is 57. I don't want my neck resting on my chest in a couple of months. As it is I already look tired and frail. So much of my weight loss is showing up in my and face and I don't look like me anymore. I'm looking much older and tired. I wish I could eat more, but right now I'm still on mushies and 1/4-1/3 cup fills me up and I have to eat real slow. Eating and drinking is a full time job almost. I think I am healing slower than most as I can't gulp fluids and have to wait in between drinks. Sometimes I'd love to just chug-a-lug some milk, but small swallows is all I can do now. I think I'm still pretty swolllen because of my acid relflux still acts up even though I'm taking my Nexium and drinking Mylanta as needed. I'd like to get my calories up to around 1,000+ daily. Before surgery I was eating around 1,200-1,400 a day and losing weight. I felt really good and could exercise and had lots of energy. I'm not trying to break any fast weight loss records, I want a slow steady loss that will allow my body to adjust and shrink. My health comes first, not the weight loss.

5DogMa, I'm almost 55. I posted somewhere where someone had asked about sagging chins, and I was honest about my droopage in my reply. Humbling.

I didn't tell most people about my WLS, just my closest family members. I didn't want to defend my decision to people who don't or won't understand my choice. My choice had nothing to do with vanity. At 5'1" and 232 lbs high blood pressure and type II diabetes was breathing down my neck. Both run in my family and I saw what they went through. Not to mention physically I couldn't do much. My back and knees were killing me. I resent any remark that I would do this to get skinny, that was never in my mind. Only getting healthy so I can live to play with my grandchildren one day. I would love to eat more right now, but I can't and since I'm still not a month post-op I don't want to over-fill my sleeve and risk a leak or do any damage. I am taking Vitamins and I am listening to my body. I also want my weight loss to be slow because I don't want those who don't know that I had WLS to ask if I'm sick or worry something is seriously wrong with me. I don't want to look tired and sickly, but I do right now.

So I got the best Christmas present this year. A postive pregnancy test from my son and his wife all wrapped up like a Christmas present. My first grandchild is due in August, one of the main reasons I did this. I'll be the one pushing the stoller all over Disneyland instead of someone pushing me around in a wheelchair.

I know things will get better just right now I'm tired and weak. I wish I could eat more and drink more, but I can't. Do you see a ticker tape below my posts? No, because it's not about losing the weight, it's about getting my health back.