Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vsg Recovery Time For A Mom With Young Children?

Hi,

I'm in the beginning stages of considering having VSG surgery (in fact, my first appointment is today). I have three small children and am a stay-at-home mom. What can I realistically expect for my recovery time? When will I be well enough to be able to care for my kiddos? (I have a 6 year old and 3 year old twins). Just wondering how much time to plan for my husband to take off of work, etc.

Thanks for your advice!

To say it will be a certain time, may be difficult honestly. I have read here a large scale of differences. From a woman who was released from the hospital a few hours after her surgery (amazing) to days in the hospital or more frequently folks having to go back because of dehydration or other issues. I personally would say plan on two weeks and that would include your hospitalization. You will not be taking in calories in the beginning so your energy will be low and the kiddo 's will not understand. This will be a time for YOU. You will go home from the hospital on liquid pain medicine and rest helps you to heal.

You will be better off to take it slow then to rush things and end up with an issue.

Just my thoughts. Good luck to you, I wish you the best.

Family kept my kids for a week & that was a blessing. They had fun - I healed & was fine by the end of the week.

I, too, have 3 kids...ages 8, 4 and (at the time of surgery) 1month. My surgery was on a Friday and we came home from TJ on Tuesday. I think that you probably won't have too many problems considering their ages, unless of course the 3 year old are the "more loving" type who like to be in mommy's lap a lot. Even in that case they are are big enough to climb up to you and just keep a pillow between you and them for some cushion against the incisions. I think they are also big enough to understand that mommy has a boo-boo and they need to be gentle.

i just had surgery last week, and I am the mom of 4. 13, 11, 4 and 2. Granted the older two help some, but, well, they add their own brand of stress because they fight between the two of them a lot.

I had hubby take off two weeks. I'm a week out now, and its been extremely helpful. Today is the day I'd say I rounded the corner, but even so, have to take naps.

i was in the hospital two days and had to fight to get to stay there two days because I was doing quite well, but they let me stay. Do yourself a favor and stay in the hospital as long as they will allow. Yes, they wake you up, yada yada, but you can focus on YOUR recovery, rather than having little ones tugging on you wanting YOU to take care of them. :)

we've had the littlest ones still going to daycare even though we are home. Helps us both, so hubby can get stuff done around the house.

Do you have someone who can help you with the kids at least for the first 2 weeks or so? I think

Is depends what your surgeon says . Mine told me me nit to lift anything heavier than 5 lbs for about 4 weeks. I had my mother in law who came to help with my 2 year old. I started feeling much better after week 2 . Everybody is different . Good luck!!!

I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. The first couple days I felt like crap. I got home on Friday and by Monday I was okay to care for them. With children they are pretty easy. The only thing I couldn't do is pick them up and give them a bath. So dh gave them a bath every night when he got home and my 2 year old learned to climb in the car and sit in her car seat. I couldn't go to the store with them alone until this week because I couldn't pick her up to put her in the cart. I just went to the store for the first time alone with them yesterday and picked her up and was fine. We sat around a lot and watched movies, colored, they knew to be careful with mommy's boobo. It was funny because they would lift my shirt say boobo and then kiss it. Sometimes my 2 year old whined I couldn't pick her up (she is going through a rough separation anxiety phase), so I would sit on the couch and she would sit with me. By 3 wks post op, the clouds parted and I got my energy back and it was wonderful. The only thing though is make sure your husband is supportive and try to pick up the slack. Dh walked through the door and I was pretty much off. I went to take a shower cuddle with my kindle and just relaxed. I was done for because my whole energy was drained.

Thank you SO much for your suggestions! I appreciate the feedback. :)

I was away from my kids (aged 2 and 4) for a week while I had the surgery. Once I came home I arranged for care for them for the next week during the day while my husband was at work. I was pretty tired most of the time and didn't feel like doing much. Those two weeks really allowed me the time that I needed to heal physical and to start getting a good foundation mentally for this new journey.