Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking After Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Always enjoy a good exchange, for sure.

But, no surgeon is going to ask you to quit smoking on your surgery day. To imply this is irresponsible. From what I have read, most surgeons require a minimum 3 months non-smoking before they will even schedule the surgery. I've heard of 6 months as well. But, a lot of smokers are not honest with their medical team and do not admit to being smokers.

It is a risk to be healing from a surgery and smoking. Is it a necessary risk ...??

My insurance coverage required that I have two blood tests for tobacco, one at 45 days before surgery and one the day of surgery. They don't cover this surgery for smokers. Period.

Regarding surgeons requiring patients to stop smoking, I am not sure now many actually require it. I don't think mine required complete quitting, but then it was a non-issue for me so maybe he did.

There are plenty of WLS "mills" out there though who will do anything for a buck and just go through the motions as far as prequalification. My surgeon's team was not like that at all. My psychiatric evaluation was rather grueling and I even had to see a counselor for several sessions. She insisted that I buy and read several book suggestions (not her own books) before I would receive a letter of recommendation. All addiction issues were addressed, not just food. Also addressed was how well I was equipped to handle life as a thin person - would my marriage suffer, etc.

I guess my point is that while the smoking and other behaviors should be addressed well before surgery, I don't think they are in many cases - whether it is through deception on the patient's side or apathy on the surgeon's side.

Based on why my orthopedic doc told me prior to the ankle fusion, I specifically asked my bariatric doc if he recommended I quit prior to sleeving and he said that the psychological impact was greater than the risks of smoking during the healing process. After I reported what happened when I didn't listen and attempted to quit 3 months after the sleeving, he reiterated his advice pretty strongly. I received this information from a qualified medical professional versus advice on this forum. Merely making a point here that smoking with bariatric surgery is a completely different situation than smoking and other procedures that have no psychological core.

Always enjoy a good exchange, for sure.

But, no surgeon is going to ask you to quit smoking on your surgery day. To imply this is irresponsible. From what I have read, most surgeons require a minimum 3 months non-smoking before they will even schedule the surgery. I've heard of 6 months as well. But, a lot of smokers are not honest with their medical team and do not admit to being smokers.

It is a risk to be healing from a surgery and smoking. Is it a necessary risk ...??

....smoking with bariatric surgery is a completely different situation than smoking and other procedures that have no psychological core.

See, now THAT I agree with (perhaps easier for me to relate to this as an ex-smoker though). Your earlier assertion was much stronger than that -- ie, calling it irresponsible when smoking cessation IS advised/required, which I still disagree with. Would it also be irresponsible to require that someone with a diagnosed eating disorder, especially bingeing disorder, get treatment for that (AND quit bingeing or other problematic behaviours) prior to surgery? Or just irresponsible to require both at the same time? I'm really trying to understand where you're coming from, because I suspect we are more similarly opinioned on this than our discussion thus far would indicate. LOL.

Dee, I didn't mean it the way you think. My original statement was that it irresponsible for posters to respond to the OP with inaccurate info in such a judgmental manner. This is what I said:

"But to tell someone who is contemplating or recently had the sleeve that they need to cut off one addiction while having major surgery for another is, in my opinion, irresponsible."

See, now THAT I agree with (perhaps easier for me to relate to this as an ex-smoker though). Your earlier assertion was much stronger than that -- ie, calling it irresponsible when smoking cessation IS advised/required, which I still disagree with.

You've taken my points completely out of context and assumed things that were not stated. My point was that attempting to quit 2 addictive behaviors at once could very well cause psychological issues that bear more consideration than the type of replies the poster received.

I also find it interesting that the same bias that is generally applied to overweight people is being applied now to smokers. To have it come from the same folks who are or were once a target of that bias is disappointing.

I knew there's a reason I lurk and not post. Back to my cave....

No, I didn't take your points completely out of context. And, my entire post isn't just about what you posted, or I would have quoted you and addressed your points specifically.

The original poster came on here looking for validation that it was okay to smoke following the surgery. There are discussions all over this forum started by people looking for "permission" to deviate from their surgeon's program. When the original poster got advice she didn't like, she accused the very people who took their time to try to help of being rude, and then she flounced off.

Fact is, at the time of surgery, WLS patients are not supposed to be battling the food addiction for the first time. They should be well on their way to recovery. They should be able to handle a few days (or more) of not smoking, without becoming suicidal. That sort of issue should have come out in the psychiatric exam.

I smoked rather heavily for 25 years. I totally get that it is addicting. I surrounded myself with smokers as friends, because smoking is one of those deal-breaker habits when it comes to hanging out with people. All but two of my friends have quit. It is not an intelligent or considerate habit and I wish I had quit earlier. I had to clean my life up to give it up. Yes it is hard.

Regarding bias against overweight people and smokers: Yep, have been on the receiving end of both of those. Is there bias against smokers in this thread? I don't see it. Facts are facts: It can cause complications in recovery from surgery. Many surgeons advise against it because it is unhealthy and can cause complications. That isn't bias.

I do hope you aren't in any profession where empathy is a core component. Your responses and use of words like "flounced" really tell a tale. There is more to the term "complications" than just physical. I applaud your ability to conquer your smoking habit and work on your food addiction. I do hope that, should I be successful in my 8th attempt at smoking cessation, that I will still be able to understand what it's like in those old shoes.

No, I didn't take your points completely out of context. And, my entire post isn't just about what you posted, or I would have quoted you and addressed your points specifically.

The original poster came on here looking for validation that it was okay to smoke following the surgery. There are discussions all over this forum started by people looking for "permission" to deviate from their surgeon's program. When the original poster got advice she didn't like, she accused the very people who took their time to try to help of being rude, and then she flounced off.

Fact is, at the time of surgery, WLS patients are not supposed to be battling the food addiction for the first time. They should be well on their way to recovery. They should be able to handle a few days (or more) of not smoking, without becoming suicidal. That sort of issue should have come out in the psychiatric exam.

I smoked rather heavily for 25 years. I totally get that it is addicting. I surrounded myself with smokers as friends, because smoking is one of those deal-breaker habits when it comes to hanging out with people. All but two of my friends have quit. It is not an intelligent or considerate habit and I wish I had quit earlier. I had to clean my life up to give it up. Yes it is hard.

Regarding bias against overweight people and smokers: Yep, have been on the receiving end of both of those. Is there bias against smokers in this thread? I don't see it. Facts are facts: It can cause complications in recovery from surgery. Many surgeons advise against it because it is unhealthy and can cause complications. That isn't bias.

I do hope you aren't in any profession where empathy is a core component. Your responses and use of words like "flounced" really tell a tale. There is more to the term "complications" than just physical. I applaud your ability to conquer your smoking habit and work on your food addiction. I do hope that, should I be successful in my 8th attempt at smoking cessation, that I will still be able to understand what it's like in those old shoes.

I have plenty of empathy. I also know that coddling and agreeing with every bad feeling never solved anything. Logical thinking is not a bad thing. Warm fuzzies aren't very effective in most cases.

I also know that people will do what they are going to do. But if they come online and ask a question, I am going to assume they are logical and really want an answer. I know, silly me.

I hope you remember what it is like to be in a smoker's shoes too. What that has to do with whether or not smoking against doctor's orders during recovery, I am not sure.

Again, always enjoy a good exchange.

If you look at my last post, I'm not talking about "attempting to quit 2 addictive behaviors at once", but quitting smoking should have occurred at least 3 months prior to even scheduling the surgery. I'm sure guessing surgeons in other countries won't have a problem operating on you and watch you go out 30 minutes after and have a cig. I'm sure there are several here in America, too. But that is not what my surgeon and dozens of others I researched allow. If you're looking for a backrub and warm fuzzies to tell you it's OK, go smoke in your hospital gown ... I think there is a forum for that. But if you want real answers to how people are succeeding with their sleeve program, then the answers may not fit your pre-conceived notions. Empathy? Oh, yes, we have it. So much so that we are willing to share the truth and offer whatever help we can. But I'm not going to sit here and tell you black is white.

Sorry

ps I quit years ago (about 6-7 attempts) and it is still a battle. If smoking were healthy, I'd have one right now

Does anyone smoke after being sleeved. Im 9 days out n having a really hard time i took maybe 3 drags and then felt bad so put it out but im so depressed right now i just want to finish it... What do i do! How bad is it to smoke this soon or at all after surgery

Yes, of course it is bad for you, healing and otherwise. We are human, though, and can't always do the right thing at the right time. I smoked for twenty-seven years, sometimes getting so sick that my lungs made me hack like an old man, and I had to sleep sitting up. We, my wife and I, both quit when we had our first child. We just couldn't stand the idea of submitting our newborn to the awful smell that would permeate the house, car and clothes. It was tough, though, maybe the hardest thing that I have ever done. I do hope that you will be able to lick it though; they say that nicotine is even more addictive than heroin, so it ain’t no cakewalk believe me.

Your face will become so beautiful, though, if you do, trust me.

How about Cigars, and if you don't Inhale?

Thoughts?

Not like I need one, but just wondering if on the occasion to have one, can I?

How about Cigars, and if you don't Inhale?

Thoughts?

Not like I need one, but just wondering if on the occasion to have one, can I?

We are all adults here. Weigh the facts and act accordingly. Look up "cigar health hazards" get informed and decide from there.

I know this is about smoking. I used to drink two to three cups of hot tea a day, it had to be lipton and caffeinated. When I say cups I am talking about the large cut mugs, about 3 cups in one (love those mugs). However, I knew that caffeine would slow down my healing process, so I had to give it up. Do I want a cup of lipton tea, yes. But I can't do that to myself, having bariatric surgery is a committment, and if you are not ready, then wait. I can buy Decaf tea, I will later on, 4 months out, just to be sure. I have a girlfriend who I have to run to the ER every now and then to find out why she is so sick. When she stops smoking she feels great, when she starts back she gets sick again. She has not had a bariatric surgery. So, if their are risks with smoking for bariatric patients, don't do it. A couple of drags is not going to destroy you, just talk to a therapist about it. My 2 cents.

You did this to get healthy. Smoking is quite simply one of the worst things you can do for your health (heart attack, stroke, skin aging, decreased immune response, poor wound healing, bladder cancer, lung cancer, head and neck cancer). There is no gray area about this. No 'few hits are okay.' If you are serious about making a change for your health and are willing to go so far as to have a huge part of your stomach cut out, you need to quit smoking. This is very blunt, and I know it.

Sorry, I haven't read all the responses - but just wanted to respond to the OP:

I can't imagine quitting both smoking and overeating at the same time. When I quit smoking it was extremely hard. I did gain weight. I was miserable. If I had been trying to lose weight at the same time I may have become suicidal. As it was I was pretty close to being homicidal!

I don't know the medical terms and labels for what qualifies as an addition, but I can tell this anecdotal evidence from my own experience (and this is me and just me I'm speaking for). It has been so much harder to quit overeating and using food as a drug than it was to quit smoking.

Please do quit completely at some point. But discuss with your doctors the best way. Maybe a drug will help or maybe the electronic cigarettes, whatever. But I wouldn't beat myself up over a puff or two.

Does anyone smoke after being sleeved. Im 9 days out n having a really hard time i took maybe 3 drags and then felt bad so put it out but im so depressed right now i just want to finish it... What do i do! How bad is it to smoke this soon or at all after surgery

Hey there... Did u smoke before surgery?? In so nervous n smoking calms me lol but I'm getting worried now.