Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Calories/carbs/ Day?

I was sleeved in Mexico and while they gave me a huge post op package with sample foods and all about the phases, when I called today to ask if I am getting too many calories/proteins/carbs in they told me they don't really know to just eat Protein first and follow the phases. So okay my first negative thing to say about having surgery there sad.png

My insurance doesn't kick in until the 1st of the year when I can make an appt with a nutritionist so help please.

I am 2 wks post op and averaging 900-1000 calories, 70 grams of protein, and about 50 grams of carbs. Is that okay?? I am flying blind here. My husband seems to think I need to up to 1200 because anything below 1200 is starvation. I don't know what to think.

Thank you so much.

Sounds fantastic to me! I eat 1200-1600 a day but I'm at 4 months out. At 2 weeks out I could barely get 300 cals in! How do you do it?!

bella, My surgeon said to ignore the calories completely. I do 70 grams of Protein per day and 64 oz of Water. I get my Protein and Water first and don't worry about the rest, mostly. If I'm working out, I try to eat some carbs just before, but nothing major. I usually have a piece of bread or a Protein Bar, just a little to add fuel to the fire.

I use My Fitness Pal for tracking my food, protein and water, and it's always giving me that "starvation" message. I showed it to my surgeon at my follow-up and he said just ignore it. I'm sure that will change once I'm closer to goal, but I doubt I'm going to starve anytime soon since I currently weight 288! LOL

Good luck! :)

I seemed to have turned a corner this past friday. Before everything was going down rough and I had to sip, now I can actually take a gulp and not feel bad and I am getting hungrier. Today I tried a little tuna can ate the whole thing. I don't know what happened since friday but my stitches came out and I feel so much better but so worried.

and that is what I tried to telling dh. I am 225 I doubt I am in starvation mode. My hair is shiny, my nails are not breaking, I don't think I need to up anything. I think I need to lower it if anything..lol

Oh and typical day :

b: 1/2 cup oatmeal with milk 150 calories or 1 scrambled egg 102

3 Protein shakes 390 calories

snack laughing cow cheese 35. Usually I have about 2 of these

lunch is either some Soup or egg cooked crepe style with some refried Beans and cheese

dinner is same lunch or some ricotta

and maybe a pudding here or there or an ice pop or tablespoon Peanut Butter. So its good stuff going in but adding up quickly. I was shocked when I tracked this weekend how much calories it added up. I can't even imagine how much I was eating pre op sad.png

This passed Saturday was 2 weeks since I had my surgery. There is no way that I could eat all that. I drink alot of Water and I may get to eat 1/2 cup of Soup for lunch. For dinner I get about another 1/2 cup of soup if I am lucky. The Protein Drinks I cant drink they make me sick. I tried a slim fast drink today that I like and didnt get sick.

girl you are doing awesome. I wish I could have been at that calorie count early too. I am a big fan of slower weight loss and trying to feed your body I think you will lose less hair, maintain your muscle mass and overall will be feeling better. Keep up the good work!

I am 2 and half months post op, and I average 600 calories, 60 grams of Protein and try for 20 carbs daily. Of course, it being Christmas and the tastiest time of the year does not help...

I am 2 1/2 months post op and I can't eat much. At the most I can eat 1/2 a sandwhich without the crust. I drink a Protein Shake in the am and evening. I do struggle with waiting 10 minutes between each bite. I doubt that I'm getting more than 600 calories in my day.

See, that is what I am reading from everyone. I think I am eating too much, how is this possible?? Maybe this is why I am struggling with the weight loss thing too :(