Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1& 1/2 Weeks After Gastric Sleeve Surgery- Vomiting?

Hi All,

This is my first time posting. I was sleeved about a week and a half ago. I am fairly happy so far with the results, but still having severe nausea and often vomiting (more like the slimes - not full on vomting)....after about half of the meals that I eat. I am on a soft food diet. Mostly a bit of refried Beans, egg salad, yogurt, a bit of custard, Soups, etc. Pretty simple and soft, no lumps, type of food. I have been eating tiny amounts, but occasionally have pain and vomiting. Is this normal? I have had almost no care from my doctor regarding what to eat and how much to eat (just a handout that he gives to all patients- this is very common in Australia, unfortunately). I have very little guidelines on how much to eat, and even what to expect.

I live in Australia (although I am American)...and they are very slack here with follow-up care. My first appointment with my doctor is in about 3 weeks from now. I suppose that is why I am on this forum now, due to the lack of medical support. What I am wondering is if this is normal? It seems to be getting better every day, but I probably wouldn't even be consuming 500 calories per day. I am trying to consume Protein first, but I am just wondering when the nausea and vomiting calms down? After I eat, I generally have to lie down for a bit, as I feel so bad, and then I usually end up vomiting a bit of it back up - not the majority, but a it of it, and it is very slimy and gross.

I would love to hear about any of your experiences! I can't say that I am unhappy as I have already lost 27 lbs. in 3 weeks. I just wonder when things will be a bit more normal? I would love to hear from you all! Thanks so much!

Raven, A couple of suggestions to help with the vomiting. First, it seems like you have progressed to soft foods very quickly. I was on "full liquids" at this point in my recovery. Protein shakes, pureed Soups, cottage cheese. Basically, it was still "If you can chew it, don't do it". So, maybe you need to back up to full liquids for a little bit and give your sleeve more time to heal.

Second, I discovered that I am lactose intolerant at about your current stage as well. I quit drinking milk, eating yogurt or cottage cheese and I didn't have diarrhea issues after that. Maybe try some non-dairy milk (soy or almond) and see if that helps.

Third, are you taking an acid reducer? You may be sick because your sleeve is producing too much acid. Too much acid can also make you feel hungry all the time.

Fourth, you should really be concentrating on getting your Water in at this early stage. Yes, you should work on the Protein, but it's more important to stay hydrated than it is to reach the protein goal right now. As your swelling goes down, you'll be able to get more protein, but you must stay hydrated to avoid kidney stones and/or ending up in the hospital.

Lastly, Good luck and welcome to VST!!! :) Good luck on your journey!! :)

Hi Lissa,

Thank you so much for your advice - much appreciated! I will maybe just go back to Soups and puree, etc. for a while and see if that helps. I am on an acid reducer and really haven't been very hungry. I have felt very low energy though, and I was assuming it was from not taking in enough calories or Protein. How long does it take for the sleeve to heal generally?

I probably haven't been drinking enough Water, so I will focus on that a bit more. Thank you so much for your help!