Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery is over! Adverse reaction to anesthesia!

Hello Everyone!

I had my surgery on Wednesday morning around 9:30am. The surgery was text book and only took 1/2 an hour to complete. However, I had quite the adverse reaction to coming out of the anesthesia. I was very nauseous afterwards and I couldn't not shake being groggy. I had a heck of a lot of pain in my sternum and back. The clinic I was at here in Washington state does it as day surgery, but I ended up having to stay the night since I couldn't keep anything down; I was on iv fluids all night and lots of pain medication. I had a lot of anti-nausea drugs prior to surgery, so it could have been a heck of a lot worse without them. I was able to come back to the hotel early this morning. I am sleeping a lot and just drinking Water and apple juice. I am no longer nauseous but I still get that pain in my sternum when I take too big of a sip of liquid.< /p>

I had six incision spots and they are itchy as hell! My stomach muscles are pretty painful and walking around isn't easy. I am hoping that tomorrow I will be able to walk a bit more. Tomorrow I can also start in on full liquids if I feel like it. I find though that I am sleeping so much that I am coming nowhere near the amount of liquids I should be drinking. It is nearly 4 in the afternoon and I am only up to about 16oz. I think I need to stay awake for a while!

The surgeon took photos of the surgery- what lovely looking guts! heheheh

I hope everyone out there is either recovering well or preparing well. Good luck everyone!

Hang in there. I know that I didn't get enough liquid in on my first couple of days. I think it is perfectly normal. Do what you can to get some walking in, and rest when you need to. I found that the pain meds made me so groggy, that it was difficult for me to do what I needed to do. It will be better in a few days. I hope you can get some rest and relaxation for a few days anyway. How long until you have to fly home?

Hi Kara, I live in Washington and am guessing you had your surgery at a clinic in Edmonds, perhaps? I'm so sorry to hear about your nausea. That happens to be one of my little fears about my surgery, scheduled for next week. Did they have you take something like Emend beforehand? Best wishes to you - I hope you continue to feel better, quickly!

I feel the same on the pain meds- groggy for sure! I am going to be here until Wednesday the 26th and then we start the long trip home.

Hang in there. I know that I didn't get enough liquid in on my first couple of days. I think it is perfectly normal. Do what you can to get some walking in, and rest when you need to. I found that the pain meds made me so groggy, that it was difficult for me to do what I needed to do. It will be better in a few days. I hope you can get some rest and relaxation for a few days anyway. How long until you have to fly home?

Hi! Yes, I had the surgery at the Edmonds clinic. They were fantastic! I had the Emend and another anti-nausea pill before the surgery, but it didn't quite cut it. I have had surgery before (gallbladder) and the reaction then was even worse. The surgeon said very few people have the type of reaction I had. Good luck on your surgery day!!

Hi Kara, I live in Washington and am guessing you had your surgery at a clinic in Edmonds, perhaps? I'm so sorry to hear about your nausea. That happens to be one of my little fears about my surgery, scheduled for next week. Did they have you take something like Emend beforehand? Best wishes to you - I hope you continue to feel better, quickly!