Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

emotional/stress eating

I want to tell you guys about the realization I made today. Its kind of a personal story but I think there may be a few of us that can relate to it. Before surgery, I asked my husband what kind of eater did he think I was... emotional, stress, volume etc... I thought I was just a volume eater. He immediately said stress and emotional. I argued with this and was very defensive about it. He said when I seemed sad and depressed, i ate more. I just thought, no way and that he was wrong. I said I dont get hungry when I am upset!

The story began yesterday when I got a voicemail from my 17 year old son's school that he had been arrested and taken to adult jail. I panicked listening to what he could have possibly done. He had driven the car I bought him to school and failed to get the proper sticker for it. They searched it and found a pocket knife in the console under some CD's. He is now charged with a FELONY because the car was parked on school grounds. He was in jail until 3:30 am this morning when they finally released him to us. He was scared to death. He is a very small guy and he looks very young for his age. He is a late bloomer. Anyway, you can imagine my horror! I cried and cried for him. I was so scared something would happen to him in there! I skipped dinner altogether because I was upset and forgot to eat thanks to sleevy.

Fast forward to this morning. I had to go to the school this morning to get the keys to his car and his ID. I was upset when talking to the principal about why they didnt call me at work and decided to leave that on a voicemail plus how rediculous I think it is that they would charge a kid with that knowing he didnt bring it to school on purpose and it was way down in a console of a car, long since forgotten about. Anyway, I was shaking by the time I got to work. I started looking for food. My stomach felt like it was burning and I just wanted to eat. I knew i really did need to eat something so I chose greek yogurt but it wasnt satisfying me at all. I only ate half and gagged my way through that. I knew my sleeve was full but I was still searching for something... thats when I realized my husband had been right all the time.... when I am stressed like that and emotional, I turn to food for comfort! I had to calm myself down but the urge to eat was really strong! I managed to not give in to it. I ate a normal lunch for sleevy (some soup) and I am feeling better. It all makes sense now that I was able to pinpoint my problem area. I didnt give in to it... I stayed busy at work and it kept whispering in my ear...but I ignored it. I just wanted to share this and see if anyone else can relate to something like this since they were sleeved. I know I would have eaten until I was in a coma before I was sleeved, if something this upsetting had happened to me and my family. Holla if you feel me.....

I'm in preop right now on a two week Protein Shake only diet and I realized I have a major stress and emotional eating problem. I stayed up all night trying to think things through and writing it all down as the urges of my cravings got stronger I sat with the feelings and became more aware of this problem. I am thankful for going through this to get it under control sooner than later.

I completely agree! I only ever feel hungry post sleeve if I am stressed or depressed.

Well done for resisting temptation, and fingers x'd your son will be ok.

Its looking good. We have a good attorney. Thanks for your concern.

For most of us we are emotional eaters which is how we got so fat.

Good luck with you son, schools and laws have gotten inane. Out here there was a boyscout who got expelled for having a butter knife in back of pickup used the prior weekend for scout event. One principal had a policy if two kids were at Water fountain it was considered gang activity.

Surprised cops were called versus an inappropriate expulsion. And why did they search a car for a missing sticker, seems to much for a police stop.

Forensik -

This may be some OT advice, but I work in college admissions and we see things like this all the time. Students are required to disclose this kind of thing on their college applications. As soon as this all gets resolved for your son, see what you can do about getting it expunged from his record. Sorry this has happened to him and to you, sending good vibes your way!

Sarah

For most of us we are emotional eaters which is how we got so fat.

Good luck with you son, schools and laws have gotten inane. Out here there was a boyscout who got expelled for having a butter knife in back of pickup used the prior weekend for scout event. One principal had a policy if two kids were at Water fountain it was considered gang activity.

Surprised cops were called versus an inappropriate expulsion. And why did they search a car for a missing sticker, seems to much for a police stop.

We have school cops. They were keeping the parking lot secure and checking parking decals. They decided to search his because he hadn't picked up his sticker., he paid for it but didn't get it. Its a shame they are like mall cops.

I want to tell you guys about the realization I made today. Its kind of a personal story but I think there may be a few of us that can relate to it. Before surgery, I asked my husband what kind of eater did he think I was... emotional, stress, volume etc... I thought I was just a volume eater. He immediately said stress and emotional. I argued with this and was very defensive about it. He said when I seemed sad and depressed, i ate more. I just thought, no way and that he was wrong. I said I dont get hungry when I am upset!

The story began yesterday when I got a voicemail from my 17 year old son's school that he had been arrested and taken to adult jail. I panicked listening to what he could have possibly done. He had driven the car I bought him to school and failed to get the proper sticker for it. They searched it and found a pocket knife in the console under some CD's. He is now charged with a FELONY because the car was parked on school grounds. He was in jail until 3:30 am this morning when they finally released him to us. He was scared to death. He is a very small guy and he looks very young for his age. He is a late bloomer. Anyway, you can imagine my horror! I cried and cried for him. I was so scared something would happen to him in there! I skipped dinner altogether because I was upset and forgot to eat thanks to sleevy.

Fast forward to this morning. I had to go to the school this morning to get the keys to his car and his ID. I was upset when talking to the principal about why they didnt call me at work and decided to leave that on a voicemail plus how rediculous I think it is that they would charge a kid with that knowing he didnt bring it to school on purpose and it was way down in a console of a car, long since forgotten about. Anyway, I was shaking by the time I got to work. I started looking for food. My stomach felt like it was burning and I just wanted to eat. I knew i really did need to eat something so I chose greek yogurt but it wasnt satisfying me at all. I only ate half and gagged my way through that. I knew my sleeve was full but I was still searching for something... thats when I realized my husband had been right all the time.... when I am stressed like that and emotional, I turn to food for comfort! I had to calm myself down but the urge to eat was really strong! I managed to not give in to it. I ate a normal lunch for sleevy (some soup) and I am feeling better. It all makes sense now that I was able to pinpoint my problem area. I didnt give in to it... I stayed busy at work and it kept whispering in my ear...but I ignored it. I just wanted to share this and see if anyone else can relate to something like this since they were sleeved. I know I would have eaten until I was in a coma before I was sleeved, if something this upsetting had happened to me and my family. Holla if you feel me.....

TOTALLY! Not only about your stress eating but also with your child. Mine went AWOL from the marine corps and was missing for nearly 2 years (he was 22 then) . We rec'd no call from him in 2 years. . . the military kept calling us threatening that we were harboring a fugitive . . they were so stupid, finally i threatened back with lawyers as we didn't know where he was. They backed off. . . finally they caught up to him and he was arrested and spent 1 year in jail in Camp Pendelton CA. after that he paid restitution and was handed over to me. He rec'd a bad conduct discharge and i drove to CA to pick him up. For those 2 years I was a total emotional wreck. . . every time the phone rang I thought it was the Mp's or civilian police calling to let me know they found his body. . . it was horrible. After he came home, he lived with me for about 1 year and then disaapeared again in the night. I ballooned up to over 350lbs. . . another year or so passed and no calls, not from the police or him. . then we started to recieve orders for his arrest from the civilian police. . he was wanted for a variety of reasons, domestic violence, dwi, speeding, etc. . .he was in and out of jail. . . that was then. . . .

Now I had the sleeve 2 years ago. . I've lost 150 lbs and am very proud of that. . . work is now my stress point and i noticed that when i was stressed out, like you, my stomach burns something horrible. . . i make very sure i keep really busy because i was depending on junk and alcohol a lot. . . lots of black licorice pieces and pretzels. . . i gained about 10 lbs. . . i had to stop so i did and lost that plus a couple more. . . i am a emotional eater and alcohol drinker. . . i had to stop both for a while. . . it was getting bad. . .

So yes, i can totally relate with you and what you are going through. . . by the way, my son (is 30 now) has straighten out his life (for the past 1 1/2 years). he works, but has a record He has a nice wife and they are expecting their first kid. . . it is very very tough when your kid gets into trouble and has legal things against them. . . but know this. . .you have done your job, you have shown him the right way and guided him to know right from wrong. . . he needs to walk his path of life and stumble and fall, then get back up, shake it off, and continue. . . they all learn from their mistakes and hopefully this scared him enough so that he'll walk the straight and narrow now. . . good luck and know that you are not alone in this. . . alot of us have gone through problems and we are here to help you, even if it's just to listen and talk. . .

I am so sorry to hear about everything. Me and my BF are going through a similar situation. He has a felony on his record and can't find a job because of it. So we are really struggling with money and really just life in general. He has been a crazy mess about it. He feels like a loser and doesn't feel he deserves me and our daughter. Needless to say we have been fighting a lot. So if we fight and he leaves I find myself in the fridge. Then, if we are happy and everything is good we are usually going out to eat and having a good time that way. I can't win with food, it's my go-to best friend in all situations.

My BF is getting his felony dismissed and then expunged. It is for something far more serious than what your son did so I would bet you can have it taken care of. Here in Illinois it takes 5 years from the date of conviction to get it expunged. I'm not sure if he gets it dismissed first, could be less time or the same.

Either way it will be okay. My daughter is only 2 so I still don't have to go through these kind of things yet, but I can imagine how hard and heartbreaking it must be for you. Good Luck with everything. And congratulations on turning down food when you wanted it the most.

I am so sorry to hear about everything. Me and my BF are going through a similar situation. He has a felony on his record and can't find a job because of it. So we are really struggling with money and really just life in general. He has been a crazy mess about it. He feels like a loser and doesn't feel he deserves me and our daughter. Needless to say we have been fighting a lot. So if we fight and he leaves I find myself in the fridge. Then, if we are happy and everything is good we are usually going out to eat and having a good time that way. I can't win with food, it's my go-to best friend in all situations.

My BF is getting his felony dismissed and then expunged. It is for something far more serious than what your son did so I would bet you can have it taken care of. Here in Illinois it takes 5 years from the date of conviction to get it expunged. I'm not sure if he gets it dismissed first, could be less time or the same.

Either way it will be okay. My daughter is only 2 so I still don't have to go through these kind of things yet, but I can imagine how hard and heartbreaking it must be for you. Good Luck with everything. And congratulations on turning down food when you wanted it the most.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am at least learning my triggers so I can manage them better. I am currently in my first stall I think. I lost 1/2 pound last week. That hasnt happened yet for me till this week. I didnt eat crazy, I just thought about it. I never had the three week stall so I guess its my turn. I hope next week is better. Good luck with your BF.