Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

seem to be able to eat more as the day goes on....

I am hoping this is normal, for some sleevers anyway. I eat Breakfast , sometimes its a really small meal like 2oz and i am FULL. And i won't eat anything until lunch time. But then after lunch, it seems like i have to fight myself from eating again. LIke i feel hungry. Im off work at 5pm, and then BOOM when i get home, i feel like i can eat anything. i don't let myself but i feel like i could. i will eat dinner ( maybe 4-5 oz) and then 2 hrs later feel hungry hungry hungry!!! I might eat a little more meat ( my meals are primarily meat and maybe some veggies) . is this normal?? ive accepted that i might be able to eat more than other 3 month out sleevers. And ive also accepted that i will probably always have my hunger as some sleevers have lost their hunger after surgery. I have not be lucky like that :) Anyone else going thru something like this??

Phew... I thought it was just me. I am only 2 weeks post-op and I'm sure I feel hungrier than most. I was just sitting here thinking I must be part camel as I can drink more than the average person who just had surgery 2 weeks ago. I not only feel hungry but I'm thirsty as well. I have to make myself stop eating after 2-3 ozs of creamed Soups or yogurt because my full button doesn't seem to be working and the last thing I want to do is stretch my new tummy out. I written this concern down along with about 5 others that I plan on asking my physician. My 1 month appointment isn't until Oct 28 but I don't think I can wait that long to get the answers to my questions.

I think for you, your tummy hasn't healed enough and won't be able to signal you that your are full yet. I would continue to measure out your food just to be safe. I felt the exact same way !! i always was able to drink and eat more than the other sleevers, and i became kinda obsessed with how much i was eating because i am so freaked out about stretching out my sleeve. And yogurts and Soups go right through just like liquids so you really won't feel the restriction just yet :) If you are concerned, i would call your surgeon's office . :) good luck to you on your journey and i hope things continue to get better for the both of us :)

I have this problem, and have heard some people mention that sometimes your sleeve needs "warming up" in the morning. There are some days where I feel like I can't even eat until after 3pm. I can force liquids and soft stuff down before then, but I don't become "ready to eat" until the afternoon. Some of the suggestions I heard were to drink warm liquids in the morning, like Tea, or to do a Protein Shake for breakfast. I didn't pay much attention to the reasoning behind all of it, but it makes sense. Drinking tea, for the record, did nothing to help with this problem and I can barely get 2oz of a shake down in the morning - 2 months post op.

I find I do better when I don't let myself go more than 4 hours between meals. If I go longer than that then I feel hungry and am afraid that I won't make the best decisions. I eat an egg and piece of turkey bacon for breakfast or a Protein shake if I'm in a hurry about 8:00. About noon I eat some Protein and a little veggie, most recently it's been 3 oz. shrimp with lettuce. Around 3-4 I'll have a snack of greek yogurt or a Protein Shake or something else that has protein. Then for supper around 6:30 I'll have more protein and veggies and sometimes a little brown rice. After supper if I haven't gone over my calories and carbs for the day and I'm hungry I might have a carb smart bar or another Protein Shake.

if I stick to this schedule then I don't get too hungry to make good decisions and don't feel like I need to eat a lot of anything. But days that I forget or go too long between meals or Snacks I can feel like I could eat a whole lot more, even though I really can't. But I might reach for something carby if I'm not careful, especially at that time of month.

I think you're normal. You just have to adjust your meals to keep yourself from getting too hungry.

Sounds like it is fairly normal. I eat a normal amount for breakfast, if I remember a mid day snack of fruit cup or Jello, light lunch like a Protein Shake or bar, and a regular dinner (practically a normal presurgery plate) and then fruit later on. Still not all that thirsty and have to try to remember to take Water. Don't know for sure but I think part of it is not enough calorie intake and brain is telling you to eat more to get out of starvation mode.

I'm guessing it's normal also. I have my first protein/coffee drink in the morning, followed closely thereafter by breakfast. I'm usually not even thinking about lunch and have to remind myself to eat around noon, but then by 3:00 or 3:30 I get the hungries. I haven't made the best choices with my afternoon hunger (I'm getting home at that time with my daughter and I've found myself grabbing a few pretzel crisps or animal crackers . . . . damn you carbs!) but I am going to start grabbing an oz of cheese or some other Protein. My meal plan doesn't call for Snacks yet but I think if I'm going to need something in the afternoon I'd rather it be protein than empty carbs. I also considered doing my second protein coffee drink at that time rather than at night, so that's a possibility too.

It happens to me too. Can't eat much for breakfast and am not even hungry, but eat something anyway, eat a normal meal for lunch, and i can sometimes eat more at dinner, depending on what it is. Some foods are denser and fill me up quicker than others. But I do feel hunger like I had hoped I wouldn't. If I'm hungry after dinner, I'll grab a Babybel cheese wheel or something. I think that if we feel hungry, we should eat. But, we should make good choices, and avoid eating when we're NOT hungry like we did pre-op. Maybe you should do smaller meals more frequently? Also, sometimes if you're not drinking enough Fluid it can masquerade as hunger. I think that's part of my problem too. 64oz was a lot for me pre-op, let alone now.

thank you for this. i do make better choices ( most of the time) heehee. But if i do get hungry i will usually eat more Protein or greek yogurt or something like that. :)

I too, feel this way. I am 2 weeks out today, the mornings I find it hard to get anything down, i can do fluids but can only "stomach" around 2 teaspoons of anything. But can have more as the day goes on. Pre-sleeve tho I didnt tolerate food in the mornings too well either, would often not feel hungry til 2pm in the afternoon. Good to know others are like this too.