Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Dear pjanes54 and ladydi---Thanks for the reply. You guys give me so much confidence. Congrats on all of your weight loss. My surgery is on the 27th of August. I am looking forward to it so that at least I can move on to something else to eat, such as cream of wheat.

This liquid diet is killing me. I have been on it one week, exactly. I do fine until about 4 pm and I start getting the "hungrys". But it is one day at a time. Thanks for the replies. I am sure I will be leaning on you guys come next week.

Clara,

We'll all "get by with a little help from our friends" :grouphug:as the lovely song goes :note2:...and it is very true. We need to be here for each other. Your posts have helped me with many of the same issues I am dealing with and I thank you for sharing your experiences on this board.;-)

It seems that they feel that they don't need to fix the hernia. Apparently hiatal hernias are very common amongst older folk. I did not have a hernia at the time I was banded, nor did I have reflux. These are all brand new headaches for me, ones which I developed 10 months post-band.

As for the big clothes, these are made of linen and I love linen. I simply haven't had the heart to toss 'em. (Linen is just so comfortable in the summer.) In fact I often wear them even though they now give me the Rap Star Crotch look.

Today, however, I am wearing a pair of size 10 capris and my crotch isn't down around my kneecaps. Of course it is a lot cooler and I do have the central A/C turned off as well. LOL

You have me rolling:roll: on the floor with the Rap Star Crotch... Too funny - good way to start my morning ..

Why don't you take them to the taylor and have them taken in (I plan on doing that with a few items) You gotta show off that size 10!!!! OMG i haven't been a 10 since my early 20's..... Lucky you to be able to turn off A/C - I won't be able to do that until late October - it's 84 at 7:30 a.m. and is suppose to be 112 today:cool:

Good luck with the reflux & herina issues - my best to you on those fronts - well all fronts really - but you know what i mean :)

I am not quite 50 but I was banded just after my 47th birthday (close enough) & am down 70 pounds (including presurgical diet) since Dec. 06. My rate of loss had definetly slowed up now but I am certainly in the 1 -2 pound/week range. I lost 20 pounds in the last 3 months. I would not let age deter you. The band is the best!

Marg - CONGRATS :clap2::whoo: 52 lbs that's just so fantastic !!!! A size 10 in 4 months - way to go...

Crabcake - What I have read is that the closer to goal the harder it is you gotta increase the exercise intervals -

2bthinagn - CONGRAT on 2ville - I know that is a great feeling

Phyl - Your hubby should't be afraid of MX - heck it's no diff that DHS:heh:

Truely - in San Felipe (use to go there alot in the winter w/my x) there is a place called the El Dorado- there are more RVing American's there than Mexicans - I am not kidding you !!!! There is a costco & Super-Walmart (in fact I was amazed when we stopped there had never seen one before then) in Mexicall just like the States..

Ladydi - Happy Band BD !!!!

Denise - I remember the low metabolism problem from prior post (omg i fell like an old timer here and I have only been on since May) As far as the hormones I don't have the faintist - I am lucky I don't have any problems that are usually assoicated with menopause. THANK GOD !!

Beachbon - :clap2::clap2: 100 lbs - :becky:

Hope everyone has a great day !!!

PHYLLSER it’s my DH that is also too chicken to take RV into MX, especially since he’s had his new ‘toy’ for only a few weeks. We are only a short distance from the Mexico/US border.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the headwork ideas. It is a challenge to change a lifestyle and self image. I am losing about a pound a week. I am working out. I think I focus too much on eating and food, with a liquid diet, I didn't think about it, but then, the addiction isn't with liquids or nutritional needs it is in the HEAD. I am glad I work with a psychologist too. I used to go to OA, but didn't find it helped. Perhaps I wasn't ready to give up the struggle to a higher power.

green - sorry about the reflux, but you don't necessarily HAVE to regain the weight, you are smart to be vigilant. Those old habits are always lurking around my next corner. But this thread is testimony to the fact we deserve a healthy life and weight. You go girl!

Indiogirl - you are inspirational! amazing.

i am getting rid of the clothes that don't fit. I have a friend that lost 100 pounds last year with GPS, she gave me her clothes. Some of which fit now, others for later. I have always made the mistake of having fat clothes there. If I deserve to be healthy and thin, then I deserve to buy a few new things to get me through the losing time and a new wardrobe when I am at goal. I am jealous of the people that lose so quickly, but emotionally, I don't think I would be able to cope. Each pound seems like losing a friend. It is sooooooooooo weird.

Hugs to you all,

Michelle

:mad:

PHYLLSER it’s my DH that is also too chicken to take RV into MX, especially since he’s had his new ‘toy’ for only a few weeks. We are only a short distance from the Mexico/US border.

Indiogirl says not to worry!! I want to go to Rocky Point!!

pjanes, I'm so glad my post encouraged you.

Green, my surgeon said he wouldn't put in a band without fixing a hiatal heria first. He said a hiatal hernia would make the lapband and resulting heartburn and reflux "unbearable." I don't know how difficult it would be to fix a hernia after the fact, but Dr. Fielding says he looks for it prior to placing the band. I had an endoscopy before my surgery, but he said he would have looked for it anyway. I haven't had heartburn since. It's wonderful.

I agree with Marji 100%. You have to have a positive attitude. Don't make a big deal out of little things. You learn to live with arthritis and that doesn't do you one bit of good. The lapband has some inconveniences, but the weight loss and better health far outweigh the bad stuff. Honestly, most of the bad stuff is a result of our own mistakes. You can easily avoid them. Exercise will speed up your metabolism (and is there anyone over 50 that doesn't need a faster metabolism?). I walk 30 minutes a day. Working full-time certainly limits the "me" time, but I can still fit in a 30-45 minute walk. My dog benefits too.

Good luck with your surgery. Hope you feel better soon, Green.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the headwork ideas. It is a challenge to change a lifestyle and self image. I am losing about a pound a week. I am working out. I think I focus too much on eating and food, with a liquid diet, I didn't think about it, but then, the addiction isn't with liquids or nutritional needs it is in the HEAD. I am glad I work with a psychologist too. I used to go to OA, but didn't find it helped. Perhaps I wasn't ready to give up the struggle to a higher power.

green - sorry about the reflux, but you don't necessarily HAVE to regain the weight, you are smart to be vigilant. Those old habits are always lurking around my next corner. But this thread is testimony to the fact we deserve a healthy life and weight. You go girl!

i am getting rid of the clothes that don't fit. I have a friend that lost 100 pounds last year with GPS, she gave me her clothes. Some of which fit now, others for later. I have always made the mistake of having fat clothes there. If I deserve to be healthy and thin, then I deserve to buy a few new things to get me through the losing time and a new wardrobe when I am at goal. I am jealous of the people that lose so quickly, but emotionally, I don't think I would be able to cope. Each pound seems like losing a friend. It is sooooooooooo weird.

Hugs to you all,

Michelle

Dynamo, I know that you have been struggling with your sluggish (far too efficient) metabolism for a bunch o months now. I know that this has been a real source of frustration for you. (I must confess that I am also a serious fan of the Single Bandsters' thread.)

It sure is great to hear that you are currently losing about a lb per week; doing the math this means that you might theoretically lose 52 lbs over the year. Life doesn't generally work this way as we all know: there are the gains and the, um, non-gains. Life and weight and financial investments all do seem to run on The Snakes & Ladders school of progress.

I want to tell you that although I now find myself at target weight I am still in the process of psychologically sorting myself out. Certainly my initial weight loss was both easy and very much desired. Dumping enough weight that I was able to move from size 18W to a regular 16 was a joyful experience for me. I am now at the point where I easily fit into a size 10 with room to spare and this is proving to be much more of a psychological challenge than I would have expected.

I have not seen this size for decades and I am simply not used to it. I also feel that I am perched in a precarious place. Any inattention to my food intake and kaboom! I will suddenly explode into my 18Ws. This will, of course, take place over night. I will go to bed wearing the 10s and wake up groping for the 18Ws. In short, I sure am not comfortable with being a normo. I suspect that it is going to take me a number of years before my inside meets up with my outside. (Size 10 Green is still a surprise to her mate. My husband is still prone to saying, "omigawd! You've lost a lot of weight!")

All of this is because I want to tell you that this biz of weight loss is an exceedingly complicated one and I totally get your post. The lapband has served me brilliantly with respect to the mechanics of weight loss. But the loss of the hated lard is a complicated bit of work for interleaved with the mechanics of successful weight loss are a bunch of emotional issues, issues which have to do with the definition of our own identities. I am in the process of bouncing around with that stuff. The fact that I am presently unfilled makes all of this emotional stuff especially perilous for me.... I really am afraid that I might enter into some sort of self-fulfilling eating jag prophecy. blehhhh!

I am not quite 50 but I was banded just after my 47th birthday (close enough) & am down 70 pounds (including presurgical diet) since Dec. 06. My rate of loss had definetly slowed up now but I am certainly in the 1 -2 pound/week range. I lost 20 pounds in the last 3 months. I would not let age deter you. The band is the best!

Emmy - Congrats on 70 lbs in just a little over 6 months you are an inspiration..

Hi Everyone!

Hugs to you all,

Michelle

Michelle - Thank you !!

Now, all I have to do is follow my own advice:eek:. You know it is so much easier giving advice than taking it :heh:- but I am trying my hardest ot make this work - and right now IT IS hard as i need a fill which i won't get for 2 more weeks. I am HUNGRY... Just had a salad w/tuna & avocado (1/4) and i am still hungry,well just a little which i ate too fast too. I am now waiting for 1 p.m so i can have a crystal light. Losing the fat on my body is not loosing a freind to me - I LOVE that part - but no longer eating fried taco's has been.:( like losing a very very good friend.

An interesting article on virus causing obesity

Virus Could Help Drive Obesity - MSN Health & Fitness - Diet & Fitness

NM Sunshire - I read this artical this morning - and the post that some mean sprited people wrote after it... There were some nice ones likening our food addictions to drugs etc - but some awful ones too. It will be nice to see what comes of this study - maybe we will be able to band our heads to :mad:

:car:

Indiogirl says not to worry!! I want to go to Rocky Point!!

Phyl - Where is Rocky Point - I don't know if it's safe there :mad: You see I work Insurance - and am afraid of making statements people can hold me too :rolleyes I have to put a qualifier on my statements just like i do on my proposals ;)

Debi - I can't walk my doggies aka babies - cuz it's too hot here - so I go to the gym - maybe this winter I will - but with them they gotta stop and sniff - I NEED Cesar Milan... :)

Found this little smile - and that it was great ... :success1: and wanted to share....

Well, it's almost 1 - and I can DRINK:clap2:. Talk to ya'll later...

Phyl - Where is Rocky Point - I don't know if it's safe there :mad: You see I work Insurance - and am afraid of making statements people can hold me too :rolleyes I have to put a qualifier on my statements just like i do on my proposals :mad:

Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) Mexico Online : RV Parks

Couldn't remember the Mexican name.

Crabcake - What I have read is that the closer to goal the harder it is you gotta increase the exercise intervals -

You must be kidding! I have almost 70 pounds to go...no where near goal. However, I haven't been exercising since surgery until the last week or so. I feel so much better now that I am. The pool heater's blown, but now that it's so darn hot (yep! triple digits here in Alabama too!) I've been swimming every night anyway. I think I was a mermaid in a prior life! cool.gif Too, I don't feel fat when I'm in the Water and it's easier to move (must be how those manatees feel!).

You must be kidding! I have almost 70 pounds to go...no where near goal. However, I haven't been exercising since surgery until the last week or so. I feel so much better now that I am. The pool heater's blown, but now that it's so darn hot (yep! triple digits here in Alabama too!) I've been swimming every night anyway. I think I was a mermaid in a prior life! cool.gif Too, I don't feel fat when I'm in the Water and it's easier to move (must be how those manatees feel!).

Dont' ask me where i got that you were close to goal - senior moment or reading so many post

YOU CRACK ME UP WITH THE MANATEE QUOTE- I HAVE A PICTURE OF ME SNORKLEING IN ST JOHN'S AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I LOOKED LIKE.... IT'S A PIC OF ME UNDERWATER AND I GOT THIS LITTLE HEAD AND THIS LARGE BODY... YOU GOT ME ROLLING