Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

A question from Green: how come you all are on HRT? I was on it briefly but then my doc pulled me off it after the results of that massive survey came in, the one which showed that HRT might lead to a greater chance of breast cancer. I do take Actonel, Calcium and vita D because there is some sign of bone density loss, though I am not osteoporitic, but other than that I seem to be okay. I went through a very early menopause. I was 41.

Well that's a very good question, Green. Particularly considering my mother and one sister died from breast cancer.

My docs and I have gone through all of the pros and cons. So far the jury is still out (although it may be coming in soon) on the potential for small doses of estrogen to cause breast cancer. The earlier studies were about the use of HRT when one takes the estrogen and progesterone combination form of HRT.

I had an early hysterectomy and it was important to my overall health to be on HRT. When the studies confirmed the negative aspects of Prempro, I got off it and went to the smallest dose of estrogen that is manufactured. Although being on it still worries me a little, there are so many problems when your body has to function without certain hormones, that I feel I am giving myself better odds against those. I'm unable to take Calcium supplements because I have a history of calcified kidney stones.

I used to worry about it a lot, but when I learned that having my family history of breast cancer only increases my chance of getting it by a very small amount, I decided to stay the course with HRT. I get regular mammograms, don't drink caffeine, or smoke (my docs make a case that smoking is far riskier than HRT for breast cancer), rarely drink alcohol, try to stay away from chocolate, etc. Although I have had a little problem with chocolate lately.

I've read so many people at LBT are having chocolate problems it has begun to make me wonder if there is something about the band that causes a zinc or magnesium deficiency which in turn causes strong chocolate cravings. I never had problems leaving chocolate alone before the band. It was never my drug of choice.

BTW, I volunteered for the HRT study in Canada (the first one) and was turned down because they said my family history was not bad enough. I was stunned, but now I am glad that I didn't go through all that. They wound up tossing some of those studies so it would have only added to my dilemma.

So far I've been very lucky. My sister died when she was 49. Mom was 69. None of the other women in the family have been diagnosed with it so far. All the young girls in the family are petrified because they've been so indoctrinated about the family history studies. Both my mother and my sister smoked and drank lots and lots of coffee. None of the rest of us do. (Although for a while, nicotine was my drug of choice, preferably with a nice steaming highball glass of Stoli and tonic with wedge of lime. It almost makes you not give a damn, it's so pleasurable.)

I apologize for the lengthy resonse, but it is a complicated issue for me.

A question from Green: how come you all are on HRT? I was on it briefly but then my doc pulled me off it after the results of that massive survey came in, the one which showed that HRT might lead to a greater chance of breast cancer. I do take Actonel, Calcium and vita D because there is some sign of bone density loss, though I am not osteoporitic, but other than that I seem to be okay. I went through a very early menopause. I was 41.

I went on it (Estrogen), off it, back on, and am now off again. Can't make up my mind.

Can anyone equate HRT with Hair loss? I read that too much Estrogen can cause thinning hair.< /span>

Interesting topic - I had a complete hysterectomy at 45. I went on HRT. When I was 52 I had lung cancer surgery(carcinoid and encapsulated - the "good kind") so my doc took me off HRT. I do have osteopenia, which is probably due to going off the HRT. I don't know. I have been exercising 2 years now, so that is supposed to help. We'll see where the lapband leaves me. I am hoping for continued improved health for my knees, etc.

I tell you, there doesn't seem a perfect way to get through this life. I feel very blessed they found my cancer (through an Xray for pnuemonia symptoms - not related). Who knows what would have happened if they hadn't taken the tumor out? I suppose we all get to our ages through lots of experience. :faint:

So far the band has been a very postive one. I am eating solid foods, but carefully chewing and spending lots of time with meals. My first fill will be in three weeks, so I'll have to see how that goes. My doc said to just stick with a South Beach type diet and use a Protein Shake daily until the fill.

Hugs to ya,

Michelle

Thanks, gang, for your replies and no, BJean, your reply wasn't too long - it was just right. Dynamo, I have osteopenia, too, and I was initially really shocked and horrified when this was diagnosed a year ago. You see, my mum went through menopause at the age of 39 and never had HRT. She lived to be 87 and her bones remained in surprisingly good shape as did her skin. I figured that because we are so similar that I, too, would not have to worry about bone issues. Moreover, until a few years ago I was building aircraft, a physical job, and I do a lot of walking. (I tend to be physically restless.) I was aghast to hear the results of my last bone scan: great hips but a thinning spine. Ugh! A grrl can buy a new pair of hips but when it comes to the spine, well, she is sh!! out of luck!

Nevertheless, my experience with HRT was very, very brief. For the first 5 years post-menopause I refused to take it because I didn't want to ever experience another period. I am one of those who gets bad, bad cramps. Then I finally agreed and was on it for maybe two years max before the results of the study came out and my doc yanked me off it.

Certainly the band is fabulous. I have just returned from seeing my doc and getting the results of my latest round of blood tests. She told me that my cholesterol results are the lowest that they have been in many, many years. I suspect that this is partially due to my reformed eating habits. And I show no indication of any sort of blood sugar weirdness. Even though I smoke and drink coffee and scotch/wine it seems that I am fairly sound from the neck down.

Carlene, the question you raise concerning Hair loss is very interesting. I have always had very thick kinda frizzy hair. It has been thinning out lately though luckily I did have hair to spare. Nevertheless, I have been wondering about older women and hair loss lately. Walking home from the doc's office today I saw an elderly south Asian woman who was practically bald and this did strike terror in my heart. It would be interesting to find out more about women, age and baldness.

I too had an early hysterectomy at age 37. I was on HRT until last year. Now I am on prescription progestrin cream. It helps the hot flashes. My doctor said that I probably had metabolic syndrome and hormones problelms for many years. They seem to be leveling out. It seems that my weight loss has really slowed and I'm getting very frustrated. I guess that I am going to have to get a personal trainer. It just seems like so much bother and expense and time! I want to lose 40 more pounds. I may go on a high protien diet for a while and see if that shakes things up a bit. GRRR!

Carlene: I have no information that HRT causes Hair loss. I do have personal experience to tell you that HRT does not encourage hair growth!!

My LB doc says it is normal for us to lose hair after the surgery (usually about 6 months out.) You're too far removed from your surgery for that to be a problem. I've read here that Biotin should be taken to discourage hair loss in women.

karey: High five. But not for joy. We're pretty much in the same boat. I have 40 more lbs. to lose and I am at a complete standstill. I too have been considering a personal trainer. I also shrudder at the thought of the expense and time required. I will have to find someone who is schooled in exercise therapy for crippled bastards (that's what my sister used to call those of us with bad knees due to being overweight and having arthritis.) I can't take a chance of having someone put me in worse shape, knee-wise.

I've also thought about doing the high protein/low-carb thing. The positive thing about that approach is that these danged high carb treats I've been incorporating into my daily intake will be out of the picture and keep me from craving more of them!

Keep me posted on your plans and if you're getting results. I can sure use some inspiration from someone with issues like mine. (NOT suggesting you have carb issues of course!)

I too had an early hysterectomy at age 37. I was on HRT until last year. Now I am on prescription progestrin cream. It helps the hot flashes. My doctor said that I probably had metabolic syndrome and hormones problelms for many years. They seem to be leveling out. It seems that my weight loss has really slowed and I'm getting very frustrated. I guess that I am going to have to get a personal trainer. It just seems like so much bother and expense and time! I want to lose 40 more pounds. I may go on a high protien diet for a while and see if that shakes things up a bit. GRRR!

Karey, I had my surgery done the day after yours and I know that BJean is another Sept 2006 woman. I haven't been weighing myself because I have always had scale phobia ever since I was 25. I know that the morning of my operation I weighed 200 and when I went for my last fill which was in late February I weighed 170. Mostly I am functioning by NSVs. Last summer I wore a size 18W pant and last weekend I bought a size 12P pair of capris without muffin top. Of course sizes do vary depending on the manufacturer and our weight will vary day to day, too, depending on a bunch of small factors.

My advice is to enjoy the fact that you are getting slimmer, continue to pay attention to eating carefully and healthily, get physical and move around (remember that walking and housework are also forms of physical activity), and don't get too hung up on scale numbers. This is very good advice. Sometimes I forget it.:cry

karey: High five. But not for joy. We're pretty much in the same boat. I have 40 more lbs. to lose and I am at a complete standstill. I too have been considering a personal trainer. I also shrudder at the thought of the expense and time required. I will have to find someone who is schooled in exercise therapy for crippled bastards (that's what my sister used to call those of us with bad knees due to being overweight and having arthritis.) I can't take a chance of having someone put me in worse shape, knee-wise.

I've also thought about doing the high protein/low-carb thing. The positive thing about that approach is that these danged high carb treats I've been incorporating into my daily intake will be out of the picture and keep me from craving more of them!

Keep me posted on your plans and if you're getting results. I can sure use some inspiration from someone with issues like mine. (NOT suggesting you have carb issues of course!)

What about Water exercise? I think they call it aquobics. This is what a friend of mine who was overweight and had messed up knees was doing.

Well all you have posted some very interesting things!

The reason I went on HRT in the first place is because of horrible insomnia. I could not fall asleep at all, and if I did, I would wake up in an hour or two and not be able to go back to sleep. I wonder too if I am taking my life in my hands because my mother had breast cancer too. My dr. feels that bioidentical hormones are safe and I may be fooling myself, but I am choosing to believe her.

I have a friend that went off her hormones, and as soon as she did, her hair started thinning. I think lack of hormones can cause Hair loss, myself. I haven't noticed any hair thinning. I have very thick hair. I started taking Biotin as soon as I had my surgery, just in case.

I am almost postive that it's the hormones that are making it hard for me to lose. Girls always complain that birth control makes them gain weight.

As far as a high Protein diet, my dr. told me to eat 70% protein and 30% fruits and veggies. So the high protein diet isn't doing it for me. I really don't eat much fruit, so I am not getting many carbs in.

I wish I knew if I should get another fill. I hate when food gets stuck so I am really afraid of another fill. I really don't know if it would make me lose weight either, since I am already eating much smaller portions, working out every day, and still not losing.

Denise: Maybe there's about a 6 month thing where we all plateau for a bit and then we start losing again. If you are exercising regularly, you may be building muscle so well that you are actually gaining a little since muscle weighs more than fat. You will begin to see results on the scales if you keep exercising regularly. Do not lose faith!

Green: Yes, I was doing Water aerobics until we went to California. I didn't pay for April because I knew we'd be gone. I've avoided going back since we got home because, to be honest, the time it took to commute and the time of day of the classes was just so totally inconvenient. However the truth is that it was definitely helping me. My knees were much better and I am sure I was strengthening muscles everywhere - even though it was a soft-core class. Not strenous at all. It was a class specifically for people just like me. Did I tell you about when I went to the first class? There were 12 chubby old ladies all flopping around in the pool. I thought, how depressing to have to go to a class with all these old chubby ladies. All of them had bad knees and had already had some sort of knee surgery. The lady next to me in the water made some crack about her age and I giggled and asked her how old she was. Humph! She was younger than I am. Talk about being paralized. I was for a few moments until I could get a grip. Then when I went into the locker room later, I took a hard look at myself next to a couple of them. I was them, they were me. Holy frijoles!! What a wake up call. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, BJ.

Now that we've had this little talk Green, I am getting reenergized and recommitted to getting back at it. Thanks.

I have been exercising and lifting weights for 3 years now. I started in my last attempt to lose weight.I starated exercising like crazy and couldn't lose weight then either. So I'm not really building anymore muscle since I had the band. I took 4 weeks off from the gym after surgery, and went right back to my routine. I do a lot of cardio plus my weight routine, and it doesn't seem to make any difference with weight loss. I guess I am going to have to stop being afraid of fills, and go ahead and get one.

Denise, you probably are in a plateau phase right now. I believe that both the body and the intellect do go through these periods. When I was living in France and trying to learn French I noticed that I would go through spells of mopping up the language and these would be followed by fallow periods, periods of real frustration for me.:lol: Have you been paying attention to your NSVs or are you just relying on scale numbers?

Green: Yes, I was doing Water aerobics until we went to California. I didn't pay for April because I knew we'd be gone. I've avoided going back since we got home because, to be honest, the time it took to commute and the time of day of the classes was just so totally inconvenient. However the truth is that it was definitely helping me. My knees were much better and I am sure I was strengthening muscles everywhere - even though it was a soft-core class. Not strenous at all. It was a class specifically for people just like me. Did I tell you about when I went to the first class? There were 12 chubby old ladies all flopping around in the pool. I thought, how depressing to have to go to a class with all these old chubby ladies. All of them had bad knees and had already had some sort of knee surgery. The lady next to me in the water made some crack about her age and I giggled and asked her how old she was. Humph! She was younger than I am. Talk about being paralized. I was for a few moments until I could get a grip. Then when I went into the locker room later, I took a hard look at myself next to a couple of them. I was them, they were me. Holy frijoles!! What a wake up call. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, BJ.

Now that we've had this little talk Green, I am getting reenergized and recommitted to getting back at it. Thanks.

LMFAO about the reality sandwiches concerning the chubby little old ladies, BJean. I have been forced to eat any number of those myself and they sure do taste of shock and humiliation, don't they?:) I remember running into a very matronly woman who recognised me and introduced herself as someone who gone to boarding school with me.:faint: Ugh! :lol:And she had been in a junior grade!:omg: Double Ugh! :think