Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 1st Day Of My Gastric Sleeve Surgery Journey

It wouldn't b covered as part of the surgery so they'll b a copayment n more hidden costs . I'll b fine though. Mainly warm bean purée kind of like a thicker Soup. Mainly with chickpeas and chicken blended together in broth. I tried mashed potato today n had same problem. It was a sweet potato. Just one bite.My stitches are bleeding today from too much movement n from my outfit. Oops. I'm also having bad siatic pain. But I was super excited n surprised today to hear (coming from my mother) that I actually look like I lost weight!!!! My friend thought so too. Made me happy. Even though the scale might not b moving I'm apparently losing inches n in my face. :0)

I just found this forum board! Hi everyone! I had my VSG with Hiatal Hernia Repair on Nov 10th, released from hospital on Nov 11th by 7pm (Thank Goodness or they were going to kill me!) The ride home was over an hour and I cried the whole ride home, even though I was doing amazing in the hospital (despite the oopses they were making).

I am still on Clear Liquids, tomorrow I should progress to full liquids.< /p>

I am walking, and tolerating clear fluids well.

Where I hurt, is not my stomach, or the 4 out of 6 puncture marks from my laprioscopy. The 5th puncture (the one over my liver) hurts the most. My Surgeon said that is where the deep muscle stitches and where he pulled the excess stomach material after reducing my stomach in size.

I lost 65 pounds pre-surgery (Starting weight in April was 287 pounds) surgery date I was down to 232 pounds. I work out in the High School Gym 5 days a week (Free and open to the public from 4pm to 7pm M-F), Water exercise 2 days a week (Sundays the High School pool is open and free, Tuesdays for 2$ we have a Water exercise teacher. I do the exercises she teaches us and do them for free on Sundays).

My Surgeon told me absolutely no exercise (not even walking) and no lifting weights over 5 pounds for 3 weeks. Yet my Bariatric program (They are more geared to the RnY/Lapband group) said I needed to start walking on the treadmill as soon as possible. I am confused. At this point I figure my surgeon knows best, so I am listening to him.

The Hospital I went too, within an hour after getting to my room wanted me to start drinking clear Protein drinks, and juices (every "meal" they would have pineapple juice in a cup and that BURNED so badly!!), one medicine cup full every 15 mins (that hurt like He**!!), the next morning they brought me in a multi Vitamin (full, regular non-chewable that was the size of my thumb) and insisted I take it. I protested saying it should be a chewable, the RN (who had just got done boasting that I was her first VSG since she had been in the hospital and was getting one herself in 2 weeks, should have known better). Argued with me for several minutes, before yelling at me, "Just take the damn pill, its only a Vitamin and can't hurt you!" So I took the "damn pill" and within 15 minutes I was throwing up and in major pain! Between throwing up, I was walking the hallways, and that is why they let me go home so early, because I was walking so much. They sent in a CNA to remove my IV (Since when is THAT allowed? I was an LPN for 20 years and CNA's weren't allowed to do things like that!). I had an red allergy tag that clearly was marked I am allergic to tape and the CNA tried to put tape on my several times. I was super glued closed on the holes to my laprioscopy so that no tape or bandage had to be applied to my belly.

Long story short, I am glad my surgery is behind me, and that I am at home where I can get tender loving care!

yikes!! what i surance do u have? im glad u r being such a trooper :)

It wouldn't b covered as part of the surgery so they'll b a copayment n more hidden costs . I'll b fine though. Mainly warm bean purée kind of like a thicker Soup. Mainly with chickpeas and chicken blended together in broth. I tried mashed potato today n had same problem. It was a sweet potato. Just one bite.My stitches are bleeding today from too much movement n from my outfit. Oops. I'm also having bad siatic pain. But I was super excited n surprised today to hear (coming from my mother) that I actually look like I lost weight!!!! My friend thought so too. Made me happy. Even though the scale might not b moving I'm apparently losing inches n in my face. :0)

I had interesting hospital experiences, as well. I understand that stress. I look forward to exercising as u did prior to surgery! U lost so much weight!!! Congrats! The surgeon also told me to wait till wk 3 or 4 before swimming. Hugs

I just found this forum board! Hi everyone! I had my VSG with Hiatal Hernia Repair on Nov 10th, released from hospital on Nov 11th by 7pm (Thank Goodness or they were going to kill me!) The ride home was over an hour and I cried the whole ride home, even though I was doing amazing in the hospital (despite the oopses they were making).

I am still on Clear Liquids, tomorrow I should progress to full liquids.

I am walking, and tolerating clear fluids well.

Where I hurt, is not my stomach, or the 4 out of 6 puncture marks from my laprioscopy. The 5th puncture (the one over my liver) hurts the most. My Surgeon said that is where the deep muscle stitches and where he pulled the excess stomach material after reducing my stomach in size.

I lost 65 pounds pre-surgery (Starting weight in April was 287 pounds) surgery date I was down to 232 pounds. I work out in the High School Gym 5 days a week (Free and open to the public from 4pm to 7pm M-F), Water exercise 2 days a week (Sundays the High School pool is open and free, Tuesdays for 2$ we have a Water exercise teacher. I do the exercises she teaches us and do them for free on Sundays).

My Surgeon told me absolutely no exercise (not even walking) and no lifting weights over 5 pounds for 3 weeks. Yet my Bariatric program (They are more geared to the RnY/Lapband group) said I needed to start walking on the treadmill as soon as possible. I am confused. At this point I figure my surgeon knows best, so I am listening to him.

The Hospital I went too, within an hour after getting to my room wanted me to start drinking clear Protein drinks, and juices (every "meal" they would have pineapple juice in a cup and that BURNED so badly!!), one medicine cup full every 15 mins (that hurt like He**!!), the next morning they brought me in a multi Vitamin (full, regular non-chewable that was the size of my thumb) and insisted I take it. I protested saying it should be a chewable, the RN (who had just got done boasting that I was her first VSG since she had been in the hospital and was getting one herself in 2 weeks, should have known better). Argued with me for several minutes, before yelling at me, "Just take the damn pill, its only a Vitamin and can't hurt you!" So I took the "damn pill" and within 15 minutes I was throwing up and in major pain! Between throwing up, I was walking the hallways, and that is why they let me go home so early, because I was walking so much. They sent in a CNA to remove my IV (Since when is THAT allowed? I was an LPN for 20 years and CNA's weren't allowed to do things like that!). I had an red allergy tag that clearly was marked I am allergic to tape and the CNA tried to put tape on my several times. I was super glued closed on the holes to my laprioscopy so that no tape or bandage had to be applied to my belly.

Long story short, I am glad my surgery is behind me, and that I am at home where I can get tender loving care!

I hope u r feeling better. Take care. Hugs

im not having a good week at all. -_- ive been sick & throwing up and found it that i have a sinus infection. :(

but yes, im super excited about meeting my surgeon! i honestly cant wait :)

i was on antibiotics but had to stop! it was making me soooooooo nauseous & dizzy! no way could i have kept takin them even though i had 2 days to go. lol.. i rather have the friggin sinus infection!!! lol. i hope you feel better today! <3 ((((hugs))))

I hope u r feeling better. Take care. Hugs

Hi everyone hope u r well. I'm so upset at my surgeons office. I called and called near the end of last wk and all day today and no answer. I needed the blood test results I took a wk ago. I cannot believe this right now!! So I decided to go to my pcp (she's awesome) and had blood drawn Again and found out the same day today my liver is slightly elevated (something to watch out for more) and white blood cell elevated and have minor uti with big signs of concentrated dehydration. She wont give meds for it so i need to up my h2o. She was concerned about my vomiting n pain so I had a CT scan done on my lower abdomen to check for a leak (w/barium drink and iodine IV) and in the same day she found out it's ok. She thinks I should get my esophagus checked by surgeon or GI because of tightness in chest/throat after swallowing mushies n it won't go down n just comes up again. Of course my GI didn't answer two phn messages either today. Ii was also told I need to take milk of magnesia daily. I found out also from the bloodtest that im burning fat cells but need to eat those mushies somehow so i dont lose too fast n make it harder on body.

Ugh. I'm upset that this surgeons office is not on top of things like the order for the ultrasound I mentioned that they never put in. As I mentioned I got my other dr to order a ultrasound somewhere else n today I found out from my pcp I have no gallstones or upper abdominal issues. I was also told by my pcp to get hydrocortozone over counter cream for the rash I mentioned. I got neosporin for one of my bleeding incisions. I got prescribed litacain Patches also for my siatic pain. It sticks right on n is medicated to penetrate the muscle pain. I think it's more of a nerve pain tho. But I rather that than more meds in my weak system right now.

yikessssss! when you say your liver is slightly elevated, what does that mean? is it the fatty liver because i have a fatty liver.

what does your pcp feel may be wrong with your esophagus? what im praying isnt wrong but iveread on it before and i want you to familiarize yourself with so you can ask your surgeon about it is.... sometimes with the sleeve, they make the openings too small which makes it nearly impossible to eat any foods & you throw it up & etc. what they can do is attempt to stretch it out but giving you endoscopys to stretch it. if that doesnt work, they can place stints to try & stretch it. IF all else failed, they will perform a gastric bypass because the stomach would be useless.

PLEASE do not freak out! this is only something i read and the ONLY reason for me telling you is so that you can educate yourself on it and be straight forward with your surgeon and find out what the hell is wrong and possibly eliminate what i just told you.

im praying for u & im here for u. <3

Hi everyone hope u r well. I'm so upset at my surgeons office. I called and called near the end of last wk and all day today and no answer. I needed the blood test results I took a wk ago. I cannot believe this right now!! So I decided to go to my pcp (she's awesome) and had blood drawn Again and found out the same day today my liver is slightly elevated (something to watch out for more) and white blood cell elevated and have minor uti with big signs of concentrated dehydration. She wont give meds for it so i need to up my h2o. She was concerned about my vomiting n pain so I had a CT scan done on my lower abdomen to check for a leak (w/barium drink and iodine IV) and in the same day she found out it's ok. She thinks I should get my esophagus checked by surgeon or GI because of tightness in chest/throat after swallowing mushies n it won't go down n just comes up again. Of course my GI didn't answer two phn messages either today. Ii was also told I need to take milk of magnesia daily. I found out also from the bloodtest that im burning fat cells but need to eat those mushies somehow so i dont lose too fast n make it harder on body.

Ugh. I'm upset that this surgeons office is not on top of things like the order for the ultrasound I mentioned that they never put in. As I mentioned I got my other dr to order a ultrasound somewhere else n today I found out from my pcp I have no gallstones or upper abdominal issues. I was also told by my pcp to get hydrocortozone over counter cream for the rash I mentioned. I got neosporin for one of my bleeding incisions. I got prescribed litacain Patches also for my siatic pain. It sticks right on n is medicated to penetrate the muscle pain. I think it's more of a nerve pain tho. But I rather that than more meds in my weak system right now.

Thnks. I read all night n it seems others have had this and it seems due to swolleness n it could go on for a while. I don't want it stretched on the other hand cuz I'm afraid I'll eat too much. I hope u r well n getting excited for your big day. :0) yeah!!!

The liver was checked in the blood test n the results showed the number was too high n all the dr said was to keep an eye on it drink more and that post op it could b normal cuz of all the trauma the liver went through during surgery n being handled by surgeon, etc. Hugs n I hope u have a great day. Today I will walk and drink a lot. :0)

im getting SUPER excited! im 2 weeks exactly from meeting my surgeon & possibly 5 weeks away from being sleeved.

Thnks. I read all night n it seems others have had this and it seems due to swolleness n it could go on for a while. I don't want it stretched on the other hand cuz I'm afraid I'll eat too much. I hope u r well n getting excited for your big day. :0) yeah!!!

The liver was checked in the blood test n the results showed the number was too high n all the dr said was to keep an eye on it drink more and that post op it could b normal cuz of all the trauma the liver went through during surgery n being handled by surgeon, etc. Hugs n I hope u have a great day. Today I will walk and drink a lot. :0)

Experienced sleevers at at least 1 month out, please read n respond: thanks

I don't get it cuz it's 18 days after surgery and with preop n till now I'm still only at a 22lb loss. In the past 18 days nothing has changed. What am I doing wrong? Maybe I need to walk more? Maybe I need to eat less mushies. I don't know. :0( help me please.

Oh dear. Threw up six times just now n on number seven any minute. I will never eat egg whites plain scrambled ever again and I'll never have humus either! Just two lousy bites and it was stuck in ny esophagus and now 45 minutes later and throw up all over my apartment and on fresh load of laundry while I was folding...ugh!! The pressure burn n pain is still in my chest and unvearable. the Naseau is still there and im sweating. No fever, and I thought sipping Water would push it down or help the feeling just now but bad idea it made everything worse. I'm just seriously going to stick to..... Ugh just threw up again! As I was saying I'm going to stick to just cottage cheese yogurt and milk. I used to have gastritis so maybe it's back n that's whats happening or it's acid or it's wgat all of u guys call the slimies?? Is this symptoms of the slimies???? 8 throwups in 45 minutes. My gosh. I couldn't even put the anti nausea to dissolve on my tongue. I don't get it I started my day 7am to 12:30pm with just liquids (h2o) and medicine and Vitamins. This is crazy.

Ugh it won't stop I guess my tummy is rejecting everything Thats in it today. I hope I don't get dehydrated on top of this. It burns n keeps just coming up. Did this happen to anyone else?

YOU REEEEEAAAALLYYYY NEED TO GO TO THE ER!!!!! this is not good. god bless u :(

Ugh it won't stop I guess my tummy is rejecting everything Thats in it today. I hope I don't get dehydrated on top of this. It burns n keeps just coming up. Did this happen to anyone else?

It subsided at 3:15 finally. Whoa. Gonna take a nap now. I'm not ever going to eat scrambled egg whites or hummus again at all. A soft booked egg didn't do that to me, so weird. I'm going to drink in a while cuz my belly is still acidic. I feel it. I live alone so I toughed it out. I'm thankful for being able to talk To all of u experienced sleevers n friends on this site who've either been through this or about to. :0)