Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why I cannot wait until I have surgery!

I am really struggling right now, trying to fight back tears. I work in a small office, all of my co-workers and I are very friendly and chatty. Today, someone came into our office to pick up a document and, in front of all my coworkers, asked me how many months pregnant I was. I answered "I'M NOT." Her response was to pull a face, and say "oops, sorry". God bless my co-workers, they pretended not to have heard anything until I finally made a joke about it and everyone had a big laugh. So that was my defense, to counter her comment with humor. She's not wrong though, I have PCOS, and I carry most of my excess weight in my stomach. Most of the time I stay very aware of "sucking it in" but when I relax, I guess I do look preggo.

What upsets me/scares me the most about this is 1. I'm upset, but not hysterical, because I know how I must appear to others and 2. My first thought was "this is nothing that ice cream can't fix!". I am more sure than ever that I need this surgery. I need all the help I can get in terms of restricting my intake and being an invaluable tool in fighting my emotional eating. My sleeve won't be able to fix my head, but it can help me on the right track to success.

Thanks for letting me vent :)

Sarah from Miami.

Hey Sarah! I feel you. I think we all understand.

I think people are RUDE! I never ask another woman how far along they are. I could be wrong. I just ask ifthey plan on having kids or more kids.

Best of luck to you on this amazing journey. We are always here for you. :)

I am so sorry this happended to you. Sending a hug your way. People should never assume that women are pregnant there are probably a milllion medical or health reasons a women may look pregnant but not be pregnant. I too carry all my weight in my stomach and have had this happen to me. It is not fun. I am glad you had enough courage to laugh it off you are one classy lady. Hope you have great sucess with the sleeve and I wish you good luck in the future and I hope things get better for you.

i too have had this happen to me. it cuts to the core. so sorry. i have even done it myself when i was younger, to a woman that just had had her baby and hadent lost the prego look. i think when i did it i was more embarresed then anyone else at the time. i have learned my lesson thats for sure.. im sorry that this happened to you, and know that soon they will all be calling you the skinny one. that is the best come back ever!

Thanks, y'all. I knew I would find the support I need here. I may not post much, but I really learn a lot from all of you :) Here's hoping that the next time I see her I shock the HECK out of her with how great I look!

Sarah

I've had the same thing happen. When asked when I was due, I said, "9 years ago" and laughed, while inside I was cringing and beating myself up. But neither of us will have to worry about that too much longer!!! ;)

Oh, I LOVE that reply, 5!! Heh heh.....

HibblesMom, I also can totally relate. I am 5'10", 300 pounds, with a 55" waist and skinny little legs and arms. An apple on toothpicks!!! Also a severe PCOS'er. I have got this comment more times than I can count! I really can't blame people, though. They aren't trying to be rude, and my body shape IS extremely deceiving..... I'm going to start using 5's reply above until I lose my Buddha-belly. I am so with you, Sweets....so with you!

No one should ever ask about a woman being pregnant until they actually see the baby coming out. That's the only way to be safe. So sorry that happened to you. You handled it very well though.

I am really sorry that happened to you. That happened to me one time and I have never forgotten it and it was a long time ago.

Thanks again, all. Your comments are so helpful. I guess if there is a silver lining here, it's that I DIDN'T turn to ice cream as my fix-all, and this really has not ruined my day like it might have before. Yes, it hurt and I was embarrassed, but I think the knowledge that surgery and success are in my near future has really kept me from that cycle of self-pity and emotional eating. So...yay me!