Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Letter to all....from LOTSOFKIDS

Sorry to leave you guys in the dark, but I have been running to doc appointments and trying to recoup from the heart surgery and keep my house running with cooked meals for the family. I have NOT had time to really take care of myself properly. I have been spread thin with wanting to shop for my kids school clothes and school supplies and keep the house in decent shape, then the mail keeps overflowing with pressing bills etc, laundry is endless....life doesn't stop. I really wanted to leave things somewhat organized before I leave for surgery.....because I don't know what kind of shape I will be returning in. (there is a real risk of a possible stroke from the surgery)

Today I am exhausted....that's why I am venting....sorry.

Anyhow, we have finalized our decision and I WILL travel on his Tuesday to California (Stanford Medical Center) for the surgery. We will do the left side on 8/25 and then the right side on 8/29. I will need to stay aprox 3 weeks in Ca. My twins start school on 8/29 and I will not be there for them. It is hard to be away for such a long time. I worry about their psychology and I don't want them to be affected by this. I am trying to spend quality time with them now.....but I am out everyday with medical appointments as well. As you can see....I have a lot of guilt that I am not paying enough attention to these dear kids.

My older boys are understanding of the situation and are more self-sufficient.

Oh yeah.....I was adding up the invoices for all the surgery and diagnostics that they have done so far on me this summer........and it totals $206,500......and the upcoming cranial bypass's are expected to reach $300,000.....so I figure, right now I am worth a least a 1/2 million dollars! Thank God we have a solid insurance plan. Hmmm....but I'm worth it....just like "Preference by Loreal!"

Went to my lapband followup today. The doc didn't want to give me any fill, as it could interfere with the surgery. They will put a tube down my throat during anethesia and a fill could cause problems. Of course, I understand completely....and I am not crazy! My wt loss will be looked at as a long term...and I will get a fill end of Sept if I am up to it. The steroids have made me gain back 10 lbs already. The doc said the amount of steroids they have me on.....I am lucky to have only gained back 10....he has seen people on the same dose blow up their wt. So, I guess I shouldn't worry too much. If I get through all this surgery stuff......then I can worry about wt after that. This is enough to focus on for right now.

Hey....wish me well. I will try to give some updates from Ca. but it might be short and sweet! The hotel we have does have internet available. (hopefully, I'll touch base with positive news)

Big Hugs to all......Diane : )

Diane I am so GLAD to hear from you. You have been in my thoughts and heart daily.

Enjoy the next few weeks with the kiddos cause it will fly by.

Will be praying for you.

Myra

Hi Diane, so glad to hear form you.

As hard as it is - dont worry about the kids. They are gonna make it. Funny how the big ones tend to the little ones when mom and dad are tied up. Thats when you realize and see all the hard work of your parenting skills - actually paying off!

Those kids are gonna be fine!!! I promise :)

And you seem to be in the right Spiritual mind!

God bless YOU and your family.

btw: could any of your olders kids (or close friends) update us while you are 'out-of-pocket'? We're gonna be here waiting to hear from you.

(((HUGS))))

Good luck Diane, Im new to this site but your story caught my attention right away. Thank you for sharing it. You are such an inspiration to me. I just want you to know that you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Diane you should be in the hospital now in between surgeries.

I want you to know we are thinking of you and awaiting news of your successful outcome.

Myra

Hey Diane,

I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. If all went according to plan, you should be through your second surgery by now and on the road to recovery.

Let us know how you are when you get a chance.

Does anyone have direct contact with Diane or her family? I was thinking it would be nice to send her some pretty flowers from her LBT family. Is there anyone with enough info to make this happen. I am willing to contribute. Thoughts? Suggestions? Should we wait until she's back home?

I am pasting a follow-up below with the results of the 1st surgery (my little typing fingers are getting lazy) I am still in the hospital for a few more days...post 2nd surgery...and I am happy to say that my 2nd surgery also went very well.....I am truly blessed

1st surgery:

Hi guys...,.I followed the yellow brick road and found internet in Emerald City. (actually the 3rd floor waiting area)

They exhausted me with a 12 hr day of tests on wednesday and 8hrs on Thursday......then as I was scheduled for 1st surgery.....I was due to pre-op at 5:30 am on Friday!

Post surgery I was really feeling terrific with the exception of a nasty headache (I surprised myself at how good I felt) but the following morning was hit with headache and nausea....and that was well.....blah.

I have a decent shiner on my right eye which is my badge of honor and my face is as puffy as a pumkin. I figure I'll have a matching shiner from the next surgery...so all will be balanced!

Today, as you can see I am mobile and feeling better (Sunday). This is the calm before the storm....as I have little time to feel better till I go under again.

They have me on the cardiac ward instead of the neuro ward....because I went into Atrial Fibulation in the ICU for about 7-8 hrs....they tweaked my meds and got me into a good rythym and I haven't had any more irregular heart beats.

the Doctor read the angio and said I was actually 100% blocked in both arteries....which was confirmed in surgery as per below!!!! I was totally running off my collateral vessels without any reserve!

Dr Steinburg said the parameters of blood flow is on a scale of 1 -20. I was a negative 3 and post surgery am happy to report I am now a positive 18 !!!! how's that for a great report! One successful surgery down....and one more to go! I am hoping to go back to Cleveland with a higher IQ !!!

Hubby didn't sleep at all the night before surgery....and admitted that after the doc said it all went extremely well....he broke down in tears.

As brain surgeries go....this is not the most invasive (mostly done on the perimeters of the brain)....but it is one of the more technically difficult and challenging surgeries. It is a micro surgery done under 100x's magnification.

The food is decent....I am a professional hospital food critic....so far Summa City Hospital of Akron wins in the menu category!

The pj's here win the comfort category....I was told they were done by a famous designer (forgot her name) and they are soft jersey cotton. A lovely light mint green theme.

As for the new hairstyle.....well they barely took anything! I will be able to hide it all in just a couple of weeks....they were very conservative!

the weather is super and there are tons of fragrant flowers everywhere.....San Fransisco / San Jose area is just lovely.....but too expensive and crowded of course. Agreat place to visit and I will be coming back for my 6 month checkup here.

Ok .... so you have all the inside info on Stanford for now....and I'll try to trek the yellow brick road one more time before the next surgery.

They keep warning me that I will be zonked out after the second one.....your body can only take so much.

Smiles to all.......diane : )

2nd Surgery update:

2nd surgery a big success! A second headache, shiner, earache and swollen face...but all is fine. Looks like I went a few rounds with Mike Tyson!

My left side was already known to be the worst, but as I am right handed...they saved the dominent (left-side) for last....and the left side controls speach. The Swelling is causing some garbled speach right now...but the doc said a lot of his patients have some in the begining. They will do another MRI and CT Scan in the am to look at the swelling...but not expected to do anything....it should diminish on it's own.

As the numbers with the first surgery had shown 100% blocked and a negative 3 (reverse blood flow)...well the numbers on my left were also 100% blocked and among the worst cases....the left side was a negative 13! It was actually pulling significant blowflow and oxygen away from my brain! I don't really understand it all...except this surgery was SOOOOO indictated (life saving) and now I am fixed and on the mend. I am so blessed.

thank you everyone for all your support and concern. This a very, very special group and I hope you will all keep that energy, enthusiasm and special qualities throughout...because you are all part of a really a wonderful group and I am touched.

Big hugs....diane : )

As for my contact number....I am probably discharging in 2 days (saturday or sunday) from Stanford Hospital....but I will be staying on in the hotel for follow-ups until Sept 09, 2006 so you may have enough time through the hotel to send a card...and I believe any late mail would eventually be forward to me back home from the hotel.

Creekside Inn

(Diane Khatib)

3400 El Camino Real

Palo Alto, CA 94306

<NOBR>(650) 493-2411</NOBR>

Stanford:

I am listed at Stanford under (Diane Al-Khatib for our insurance)

Patient Information

(650) 723-4000 (The full name of the patient is required for the release of information.)

Sending Cards or Mail to Patients Please address mail to:

Stanford Hospital & Clinics

ATTN: Patient's name

300 Pasteur Drive

Stanford, CA. 94305

(it is almost 5am and I am wearing my hospital jammies and hooked to the heart monitor...on the nurses internet station.......but hey....they woke me up to take all my vitals...and then it is hard to get back to sleep with all these steriods in my system...what a site to see!)

Well, now that I have written a semi-book....I will go settle back down to sleep....my warmest wishes....and big hugs to all....Diane : )

<!--Footer Begin-->

OMG Diane I can't tell you how happy I am that everything is going so well for you.

I am amazed that you are up around and posting on the internet.

I hope the kiddos did okay at their first day of school.

Give hubby a special hug from all us here.

Thinking of ya.

Myra

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!! I'm so happy to hear your surgeries were successful and that you're on the road to a healthy life. Make sure you get lots of rest and allow yourself to heal.

Thanks guys you all helped to make this a little bit nicer and easier for me.

I am slowly getting better and my headache level is tolerable now...so that is really a relief. They might release me to the hotel tomorrow in care of my sister who flew in last night to help me after Hubby had to go back home.

PS: the designer PJ's were the result of local designers and they had a big fashion show complete with a runway fashion show in the Stanford Hospital....the winner was Karen Nueberger. My sister ended up buying a set of her household line of Jammies in the gift shop! She loved the background of the Jammies....and besides, they are really soft and cute!!!

Who would have thought that you can enjoy hospital gowns....well, I guess California is ahead of it's time in a lot of things. Hmmm..designer Pj"s...a surprise visit from a past HGTV chatter here at Stanford...what more do you need with major brain surgery?

The Kiddos are missing their mom...and I too am feeling the separation, but I am still weak. I will leave for home 9/09 so that should put me in a stronger position to travel. They removed my staples today from the 8/29 1st surgery...and they staples from 8/29 surgery will be removed this Wednesday at my follow-up. They did a repeat MRI today for the swelling...and if that is alright..they can release me as planned. The steroids are a major double dose...I am taking both prednesone and decatrone?? Between them it is equivent to about 125 mg a day......WAY Too much cortisone. I look like a pregnant woman that has two black eyes and has been down on her luck! But we all know I must be the luckiest woman walking this earth! I have a second chance here....and was blessed in every sense of the matter.

Well.....I will hopefully touch base again soon.....you all really made it special....I thank you for being in my corner.

Big hugs....Diane : )

Hey...warm wishes to all......diane : )

Hey Diane, wow - youre a walking miracle!

Thank you for giving us an update. I think about you often.

I was wondering how the kids were handleing life without mom. Just a guess, but Im thinking they developed a ton of responsibility since your absence.

Hope you continue the wonderful recovery..

God bless.