Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poor weight loss after band to sleeve revision?

Hi everyone!

I posted this on Obesityhelp.com, and wanted to post it here to get more responses, if possible.

I was just watching a video on Youtube posted by Endobariatrics, and Dr Alvarez was saying how band to sleeve revison surgeries sometimes can't be done all at once because of scar tissue, and that the weight loss of the patients who do it all at once can be poor compared to patients who have never had the band and get sleeved first.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Endobariatric#p/c/DCC7DC6C03E946 9B/8/VXAOV4nz9qE

I'm a little confused and, I'll admit, upset, because after reading through so many posts about revision surgery, I never read any posts about slow weight loss after revision surgery, band to sleeve. I'm calling my surgeon on Monday, because he never mentioned any of this to me. I know there are greater risks of complications with band revision, but the poor weight loss?? Never heard of that. And I'd love to know what's considered slow or "poor" weight loss? Does it mean it could take a person 3 months just to lose 18lbs, or something like that?

I'm scheduled for band to sleeve revision in January 2012, and this video threw me for a loop!

Any input from those who've gone before me would be greatly appreciated!

I don't buy that either. . . I just had my band removed last wednesday and revised to the sleeve. I am thoroughly convinced this is the way to go and have no regrets. You can just follow my results here to see if I have slow weight loss. It just isn't going to happen. I have every bit of confidence that the rest of my excess weight will be gone in 6 months . . .

I follow the meal program, allow the sleeve to keep me from overeating, and keep up a good exercise program and the weight will start pealing off. Just read all the successful band to sleeve postings here and all the weight they have lost. There may be the occasional slow WL person but that will probably be due to some other parameter . . . like maybe grazing . . or eating high sugar items and high fat items. . .

Will keep you all updated on my progress and we shall see how it works. I had lost 83 with the band and then gained 35 of it back. Then a dr. visit started the process to the sleeve revision. During the 4 weeks prior to surgery while I still had the band that was not providing restriction I followed the meal program and exercised like crazy( power walked 63 miles) and lost all 35 lbs I had gained. That weigh in was just before they took me up for surgery. I was elated with that success. Now it is all sleeve WL from here on out. I haven't hardly had any pain or nausea . . . I walked 3/4 miles yesterday and am headed out today to see if I can cover 2 miles. I am getting all my Protein in and 64 oz of fluids and doing really well.

Good luck with your surgery.

Bob

I too think it's a crock- I have not yet been sleeved but have done over 1 year of research trying to come to a decision and that subject has NEVER come up- I see it as an attempt on his part to gain more sleeve vs band pts' and have noticed a LOT of docs previously pushing the band are now pushing the sleeve the same way- I think 5-6 years ago the sleeve was so new and so "similar" to the bypass that was getting so much controversy they had no choice- No 4-5 years later I think they realize that the band is not a permenant solution and definitely not for those needing to loose more than 100+lbs.

I think every one looses at his or her own pace and would think that those of us having had a the band are somewhat at an advantage because we have found our Protein shakes we like, our sweet spots, etc and know what to expect like head hunger etc...

Just a thought but don't give up hope or let anyone change your mind- you know your body better than even your physician- Good luck!

Tomorrow makes 2 months since my band to sleeve revision and I am down 35 lbs. I have also been going to the gym 5 days a week and I am eating very healthy. I do think that I still would lose if I were not doing the working out and eating healthy, maybe I would not have lost quite as much. The sleeve won't allow you to eat a ton of food but if you drink a milkshake then that might keep you from losing. I find the sleeve is 1,000 better than the band. I have never thrown up my food with the sleeve where as I threw up every meal with the band. It has been soooooo much easier to make the lifestyle change with the sleeve versus the band. You can also go read up on LilMissDiva on this site. She has lost 100 lbs since her band to sleeve revision which I believe was almost a year ago, and I think she is in a size 4. I also think that she works out quite a bit and eats very healthy. I suppose you can fail with the sleeve but I would think that would be very hard to do and that person might just not be ready to make the changes necessary. My doctor told me that the surgery is only 50% and that I have to put in the other 50%, and I believe that statement to be very true. Good luck to you, you are going to love your sleeve way better than the band :)

I haven't watched the video yet, but my surgeon also said that revision patients typically lose slower, don't lose as much and that there aren't alot of published stats. I have a personal theory is that people who had a miserable experience with the band have learned how to "eat around" the band as a self defense mecansim (ie healthy food hurts, junk food oddly goes down fine). I believe that the band CAN teach you bad habits so you maybe have to work extra hard. I have no evidence to back this up, just my personal theory.

I agree with learning to eat around the band. I never reached a sweet spot. So, I ate Protein and got stuck or carbs and gained weight. I am ready for a revision! I did watch the video.

I had my revision on June 27th...about 8 weeks ago and I'm down 29 lbs. I do Water aerobics twice a week and sometimes three. If I was more consistent with the exercise I'm sure I would be down more. I'm thrilled with my weight loss. It's exceeded my expectations!:rolleyes: AND I'm thrilled to have that band out of my body!! I LOVE my sleeve!

I had a band to sleeve done on July 27th and have lost 12 pounds since surgery date. I have ALWAYS been a slow loser and know that I am slower than most around here but I am also starting out lower than most. Maybe that's why band to sleeve revisions are typically lower because some weights might be lower start weights? I love getting full on a few bites of yummy food. I haven't started to work out yet and usually I am having to walk three miles a few times a week in order to keep my weight at 170. I have a feeling when I do workout that it will be falling off at least until I am in the 150's.Happy so far! :)

I think it depends on how much weight you have to lose, but I have had unbelievable success with the sleeve that I never had with the band. I can't eat around my sleeve unless I eat tortilla chips. Seriously, its the only thing that slides. However, my sleeve curbs my appetite so much that it is easy for me to not eat them in the first place or not buy them and have them in the house. Everything else "bad" doesn't sit well with me and I don't want it. I crave chicken. I eat it all the time. This sleeve has absolutely set me up for success. I am coming up on my 6 months in a couple of weeks and I am 9.5 lbs away from my goal. I haven't really been working out and I don't count carbs / calories. I eat what feels good and I try to walk more. I really need to try and exercise to rebuild muscle and stamina but it hasn't affected my weight loss.

Best thing I have ever done... no question.