Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Thomas Borland

Has anyone used Dr. Borland in New Iberia, Louisiana? I had been researching going to Mexico for surgery as I am self-pay. But I came across his name on this forum and looked up his website. For only about $1000 more than the surgery I was getting done in Mexico, I can have it done in a neighboring state only 4 hours away rather than 13 hours away. I've only seen one reference about him on this forum, but he is the Chief of Surgery at the hospital he performs the surgery at and has been a bariatric surgeon since 1982. I guess the only thing I find a little odd is that he performs the surgery as an outpatient procedure; a few hours after your surgery they release you from the hospital and have you stay at one of the local hotels for a few days where the doctor makes several "house" call visits to check on you. I'm assuming this is why the procedure is cheaper than most U.S. doctors; no hefty hospital bill from being admitted. I called the office today and the staff was very nice and informative. I asked if doing as outpatient is safe and she said yes, he has done over 200 sleeves. Is that comparable to U.S. doctors? The mexican doctors that I had researched had done closer to 2000 sleeves... She also said that because of it being outpatient, they do not do any high risk patients (very high bmi, heart disease, etc.), I am healthy and only 29, so I am definitely not high risk. Anyway, just wanted to see what you guys think about .

I was just sleeved this past Monday 1/16/12 by Dr. Borland of New Iberia. I have to say that I can’t imagine this being more perfect! The reason I decided to check him out was because of the price, you can’t beat $9800 – once I met Dr. Borland and his staff I was sure this was the doctor for me. The reason the price is so low is not because he skimps on quality, if anything the quality of care is far better than any big hospital experience I have had (where you are treated like a number) Dr. Borland’s prices are low because he truly wants to help people. When you pay the $9800 they ask that you have cashier’s checks made out to everyone involved, i.e.: Dr. Borland $3000 hospital $5000 anesthesiologist $800… and so on. I like that because it’s very up front.

Another reason that I choose Dr. Borland is because he does it out-patient! I HATE staying in the hospital!! I understand if you are higher risk maybe it has to be done. However for me I felt just fine just hours after the surgery and was happy to go back to my hotel room in New Iberia! Dr. Borland visited me every evening and his staff called several times to check up on me. I’m still stunned that he gives his patients his home phone number, but that’s just the kind of person he is!

Dr. Borland gave me a simple 24 hour pre-op diet, which is pretty nice as I can’t imagine how hard it must be to starve oneself for weeks. My post-op diet has been pretty simple as well. This week has been just liquids and Jello. Thankfully I don’t really feel hungry so that has been just fine. I do have some gas pains which I hear are to be expected. I’m egger to start my transitions to normal foods and I’m happy Dr. Borland isn’t extremely strict about time. He allows his patients to use good judgment. I can imagine there are people out there who have dysfunctional relationships with food, and could hurt themselves by force feeding, however I think most people have more sense than to do so.

I am now 6 days out and I have lost 13lbs, and I feel amazing… I can actually put my socks on better today than I could just one week ago before surgery… I am so happy that I didn’t chicken out! The morning of surgery I was a nervous wreck, and scared out of my box – but I’m so glad I stuck with it!! I see Dr. Borland again tomorrow for my one week follow up,*** Come on 15lbs!!***

Hi,

I will be sleeved by Dr Borland on Monday March 12. Just wondering how you guys are doing?

When I was self pay I was signed up to go to Dr. Borland. But then i started a new job and got insurance and just made my appt. in Houston, no reason, except I was a little hesitant about the hotel thing, however, hearing the personal testimonies, I probably wouldn't hesitate to use him. Houston is a little closer for me, so that is why I chose Houston. :) I say go for Dr. Borland!!

Thanks! I have only heard good things. He is super nice and his wife and also his nurse were sleeved. The hotel is so it can be done outpatient to keep the cost down. I live in New Iberia, La. He will actually be checking in on me at my home. Which is awesome. When were you sleeved and how are you doing? I'm so ready for Monday thinking about the surgery and reading all this info has consumed my life. LOL

I'm 5 months post op by Dr. Borland, and I haven't had the first problem. My experience with him, his staff and the surgery center was awesome. I can't say enough great things about him. Good luck with your surgery!!

Hi Lacey. I'm scheduled on sept. 10th with dr Borland. Anything I should pack for my hotel stay that I would really need after surgery would really be appreciated. Thanks. I'm so pumped for this. :)

Are you from Texas?

I'm not sure how to write on here but how was your surgery & recovery? My surgery is September 4th.

I'm not sure how to write on here but how was your surgery & recovery? My surgery is September 4th.

My surgery is also the 4th with Dr Borland!

Surgery and recovery were a breeze never had any problems. Except for adjusting to being on liquids and not eating. The one thing I would bring was a heating pad. I used it the whole first week after surgery. It felt so good on my stomach.

Constant Vomiting... But other than that okay

Hey everyone!!! I know this forum topic was started last year...BUT perhaps it will email this to each of you. I am having a consult with Dr. Borland on February 25 (2013) and hoping to schedule it for March 22 (2013) while I am on Easter break from teaching. I have a few questions:

1. Someone said he was not very strict with time frames and food choices...does he give an outline of suggested time frames and food choices for those of us who need them?
  2. I will have 12 days to recover before returning to teaching 7th grade English...do you think this enough time to return to work with minimal pain?
  3. Do any of you have small children and a husband you have to cook for on a daily basis? If so are you tempted to taste test, nibble, or try the food you are cooking? (I am the person who cooks in the house and I know that won't change after this surgery...I know I never want to be like I am now...and will make it a point to tell myself NO...but I was just wondering how anyone else dealt with that issue.)
  4. Is anyone from the Lafayette area who has had surgery with him who would be willing to be my "buddy" after surgery if I need motivation, support, or just advice?
  5. Is there a support group after the procedure that I can join in the area of Lafayette that anyone knows of?

I think that's it...for now haha!!

Thanks for any and all information!!!

Bonnie

Hey everyone!!! I know this forum topic was started last year...BUT perhaps it will email this to each of you. I am having a consult with Dr. Borland on February 25 (2013) and hoping to schedule it for March 22 (2013) while I am on Easter break from teaching. I have a few questions:

[*]Someone said he was not very strict with time frames and food choices...does he give an outline of suggested time frames and food choices for those of us who need them?

[*]I will have 12 days to recover before returning to teaching 7th grade English...do you think this enough time to return to work with minimal pain?

[*]Do any of you have small children and a husband you have to cook for on a daily basis? If so are you tempted to taste test' date=' nibble, or try the food you are cooking? (I am the person who cooks in the house and I know that won't change after this surgery...I know I never want to be like I am now...and will make it a point to tell myself NO...but I was just wondering how anyone else dealt with that issue.)

[*']Is anyone from the Lafayette area who has had surgery with him who would be willing to be my "buddy" after surgery if I need motivation, support, or just advice?

[*]Is there a support group after the procedure that I can join in the area of Lafayette that anyone knows of?

I think that's it...for now haha!!

Thanks for any and all information!!!

Bonnie

Not Really sure how to post on this thing! I just read this and I am sched with Dr borland march 19. Words can't describe how excited I am. He seems wonderful and so does his staff. I live in new orleans so I will be staying at a hotel. Not sure which one yet. I to have a hubby and children and hope to be back at work in about a week. Keep in touch!!!