Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want your opinion on Mexico doctors

I used Dr. Almanza for my surgery in May of 2011. I am very satisfied with the whole experience. It is a clinic, not a hospital. It was very clean and we were well taken care of. You go to a staffed recovery house, not a hotel for recovery. I felt the care was excellent there as well. There are a lot of great surgeons in Mexico as well as here in the states. I do think price is part of the equation but not he deciding factor. You just have to do your research and choose a surgeon you feel comfortable with. I will tell you this, you are NOT receiving sub-par care just because you pay less with Dr. Almanza, as you can tell by the posts, he has many very happy and successful patients on the forums. The main factor for me was the communication with the Doctor and the coordinator, they were there to answer many questions before the surgery and even now. Who is your coordinator?

Thanks Kelly for correcting my mis-information. I read so much and watched so many you-tubes I get confused about who offers what! I was actually in the hospital 5 days with Dr. Aceves. Had surgery Wednesday morning and got discharged Saturday morning. Cathi

Hi I am currently here in TJ and I just got sleeved by Dr. Kelly on Monday. I was in the hospital for three days with round the hour care. It is not a clinic and there is an icu and radiology as well as anything necessary. I am 28 and I wanted someone who was great and priced correct. I can only speak on my experience and I have posted about my journey so far. I came in on sunday and i was admitted into the hospital. I just checked into the hotel and i am here until friday morning. Dr. Kelly just came here to check on me and speak with me. I am happy so far with my decision.

Hi,

Being an older perosn, there is one thing I will never do. I have lived long enough to know that when it comes to my health and wanting to live until I am 100 I am NEVER going to pick a doctor because he charges less for WLS than other doctors.

I really did my home work and checked all of the doctors out in Mexico. I checked their hospitals out for infections, the number of successful sleeve surgeries he had done without and leaks and complications.

My choice was Dr. Aceves and when I arrived there I knew I had made the right choice.

Check these doctors out NOT the price they charge for WLS.

Hugs,

Suzanne

for

I'm 56. I drive a Ford Focus. I paid a lot less for it than a Mustang. It's still a Ford and it still gets me to where I need to go.

Do your research and do what is most comfortable for YOU.

And don't let the alarmists make you feel guilty.

My surgery is scheduled for next week the 27th with Dr Jose Rodriguez and Dr Elmo Aramburo in Juarez, Star Medica Hospital. You can research them, havent heard anything but great things. They work with a company named Belite Weight. Google them and they call you and give you all the necessary information.

Best of Luck.

Ruby

I'm 56. I drive a Ford Focus. I paid a lot less for it than a Mustang. It's still a Ford and it still gets me to where I need to go.

Do your research and do what is most comfortable for YOU.

And don't let the alarmists make you feel guilty.

Hi,

Isn't it great that we have the opportunity to all make choices that are right for us. Congratulations!

Suzanne

Hi,

Being an older perosn, there is one thing I will never do. I have lived long enough to know that when it comes to my health and wanting to live until I am 100 I am NEVER going to pick a doctor because he charges less for WLS than other doctors.

I really did my home work and checked all of the doctors out in Mexico. I checked their hospitals out for infections, the number of successful sleeve surgeries he had done without and leaks and complications.

My choice was Dr. Aceves and when I arrived there I knew I had made the right choice.

Check these doctors out NOT the price they charge for WLS.

Hugs,

Suzanne

for

While I totally agree with you Suzanne let me play devils advocate for a moment. Didn't you yourself price shop even if a little bit? Couldn't you have had the surgery in the states (if indeed you are from USA) if it wasn't a matter of the cost? I know that doctor Aceves is the best in Mexico and his price is much less then a lot of the doctors in the states and believe me I have heard nothing but great things about him. He was however out of the price range I was comfortable with as I paid cash. There are some lower price doctors that I would NEVER in a million years go to but that is my personal choice but I do think we all did price shop a bit by just going to Mexico instead of paying 15-20k here in USA. Just a thought.

I think on another thread similar I said that more expensive isnt always best but cheap/ cheap probably means some corners are being cut and I am not comfortable enough when it comes to my health to go that route. Doing homework is best advice we can give and of course our own personal experience with our physicians is an important piece of the research :)

I agree! I do see where Suzanne priced shop & I see that because she chose to go to Mexico instead of staying in the states..just because one doctor in Mexico is cheaper than the other means nothing at all...a correction needs to be made by Suzanne because in fact she did price shop!!

I think that whatever Doctor feels right for you is who you should contact for your surgery. Suzanne feels very confident in her choice, and others feel very confident in their choice. Who wouldn't want to pay less for the same thing? Who doesn't love a bargain? But if you choose your surgeon ONLY because of the cost, then you are doing yourself an injustice. I think that is what Suzanne was trying to say...? Go with your gut and trust God to lead you to the right Doc for you!

While I totally agree with you Suzanne let me play devils advocate for a moment. Didn't you yourself price shop even if a little bit? Couldn't you have had the surgery in the states (if indeed you are from USA) if it wasn't a matter of the cost? I know that doctor Aceves is the best in Mexico and his price is much less then a lot of the doctors in the states and believe me I have heard nothing but great things about him. He was however out of the price range I was comfortable with as I paid cash. There are some lower price doctors that I would NEVER in a million years go to but that is my personal choice but I do think we all did price shop a bit by just going to Mexico instead of paying 15-20k here in USA. Just a thought.

I think on another thread similar I said that more expensive isn't always best but cheap/ cheap probably means some corners are being cut and I am not comfortable enough when it comes to my health to go that route. Doing homework is best advice we can give and of course our own personal experience with our physicians is an important piece of the research :)

Hi,

Bingo you said the magic word "Homework or as I called it educated myself." The price was much higher in the US, but the care lacked a lot--in the good old US they send you home the day after the surgery. And guess what Dr. Aceves has trained a lot of US doctors how to do this procedure. I wanted the doctor with the most experience and someone who actually cared about me after the surgery. That is just what I got. Yes, I looked at a lot of doctors, but I wanted the very best for ME this is about ME and no one else. And for me my choice is and was Dr. Aceves.

I feel very lucky that I could afford to have it done here in the US, but that was not my choice. Their infections rates are higher here in the US also. I compared the US Hospitals infection rates to Dr. Aceves and his if by far less than any US hospital. So yes, Dr. Aceves was my choice after 6 months of spending hours each day on the computer checking things out; and talking to people who had gone to other doctors and who had gone to Dr. Aceves. It wasn't an overnight choice. I also had a good friend who is a Nurse Practitioner who went to Dr. Aceves and I respected her judgment. But, she made me do my own research and investigating into what was going to be best for me.

It is great that we have all these choices and we can make choice based on what is best for us. I can only talk about what was best for me and what I wanted and what I expected when it came to surgery and care after the WLS. When I was in a hospital in the US, I NEVER saw 2 doctors 3 times a day! That is unheard of. I have no idea what the doctors are like that charge less, I can only tell you what kind of care I got. Thanks for you ccomments and take care....... Suzanne

:o

I think that whatever Doctor feels right for you is who you should contact for your surgery. Suzanne feels very confident in her choice, and others feel very confident in their choice. Who wouldn't want to pay less for the same thing? Who doesn't love a bargain? But if you choose your surgeon ONLY because of the cost, then you are doing yourself an injustice. I think that is what Suzanne was trying to say...? Go with your gut and trust God to lead you to the right Doc for you!

Thank you, you did get what I was trying to say. This has to be ALL about YOU and NO one else. I took a lot of time to do my research and figure out what was best for me. I know ME better than anyone else. I price shop for a lot of different things but NEVER when it comes to something that deals with my health. I have too many things to still do in life. And I am having the time of my life. Life has never been better.

Hugs,

Suzanne :lol:

I was in no way being derogatory and I hope nobody took it that way. I just wanted to illustrate also that just because the care here in the US is more expensive it didnt mean you would be getting better care then going to Mexico and paying less or vice versa! So you did get a better price and a better doctor! It can be accomplished! YAY!

:)

edited because I need to use spell check once in a while :)

Edited by mp8btpc