Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't compare ourselves to other people losing weight

That is the beauty of these forums, we all have opinions and see things in our own eyes. I use the exercise thread as well so I guess I'm a boaster too. Comparing myself to others is not productive thus this thread. Belittling a person is not what I meant, its excessive over the top behavior that I find interesting to say the least. I use to be the woman who rolled her thighs with a rolling pin in high school just to stay thin. So to use the term lightly I understand obsession, positively or negatively. Whoever chooses to use 2,3 whatever times a day in exercise that is their business and more power to them. Mine is to surround myself with people who are at the same place as I am. So don't belittle me for speaking MY opinion. That is what these boards are for as well. Telly, thanks for the post. You have done a remarkable job and I completely understand (now) where and how you get the place you are. I've been considering splitting up my routine as well. I start with a new trainer on Wednesay and I'm back to the cardio classes at the gym. One of these days, God willing, my butt will be on a bike like you! I'll keep reading the threads and I apologize if I offended you.

Thank you Telly! By the way, I always find your amazing progress and commitment to fitness very exciting to read about, and very inspiring. I get a lot of enjoyment out of your vibrancy and also out of reading the comments of those that you've inspired, your positive outlook is practically contagious. I come to these forums, and I read things that make me laugh, make me cry, make me smile, sometimes frustrate me, but consistently the energy around your posts is uplifting and bright.

XO

Leila

Thank you Leila. What you said was extremely nice and encouraging. It gave me a boost in my step :) Thank you...can't say that enough.

Thank you Warmmorning sun. You hit it on the nail. What I post in the "Exercise Today" thread is a journal of what I do. In the same respect, it gives other people ideas of what they can do for exercise..to switch things up. Some members had never heard of some of the things I do or other active members have done, so we share with one another what exactly it is, what it does for you and how to do it. It's sharing. Warmmorning sun, I'm glad you understand what we are doing.

Thank you again and now I will move on. Hope everyone had a great weekend. :P

Telly, etc. After writing this thread and hearing back from all of you I have given it some consideration and would like to apologize. From where I sit thing have been very difficult for me so naturally it is easier for me to lash out at successful people. I am sorry that I acted this way. I find it inspiration to hear about everyone but in my case it just difficult when I'm having such major issues. All I can do is work on myself, daily, in the hopes of reaching a milestone with food and exercise. Thank you for all the posts. I read every one of them and I truly appreciate being able to be part of these threads.

To Kat,

I totally agree with you. This is a lifestyle change. There are weeks that I don't lose anything. BUT, when I do splurge and have that piece of cake, it is much smaller than pre-band. My eating habits in general have improved greatly. Yes, I get discouraged seeing others lose faster than me, but I take responsibility knowing it is my lack of exercise. The thing that keeps me going is the fact that I am NOT gaining weight. It may take me years to lose all of my excess weight, but that's okay. It took years to put in on! Slow and steady is the way to go for me. My skin is adjusting easier this way too. Hooray for the fast losers.........but also, hooray for those of us that are taking it a bit slower. Have a wonderful day. Love to all, Vicki

Julie, I'm impressed, it takes a lot to come out and apologize, to be able to sit back after a while and recognize that something you've said or done came from a place of personal insecurity. We -all- do it at some time or another, lash out, or say or do something we're not proud of. It takes a lot of insight and a lot of personal strength to be able to step away from it, see what is really happening, then own up to it, and on top of that apologize for it. Wow, good for you. You have amazing strength of character, and should be proud of yourself. Just a thought, you may want to leave your initial post, but ad an edit and quote your last message with the apology there after it. You know, I'm positive you are not the only one who is struggling with these feelings, and other people may really find it valuable to see it all together, and to be able to recognize what is happening for them too. We are all different, some of us are more competetive than others, some of us tend to compare ourselves to others more. Some of us have more negative self talk than others. Life is a process, and we all come from different life experiences and backgrounds that form who we are. It is great that there are so many people here sharing who they are. None of us are perfect, and it's good to try to accept one anothers shortcomings... tolerance is a wonderful thing. The interpersonal dynamics between women can be tricky sometimes. Sometimes we get competetive, or catty, or compare ourselves to one another, yet we all want to be accepted and liked by one another as well, it can be an ongoing struggle. It's nice to see resolution happen. Take care, and focus on all the great changes you are making for yourself in your life.

XO

Leila

Thanks Leila. I really appreciate the sentiment. I went to the gym this a.m. and it felt good to try and kick my own butt into shape. The only madness I have at myself and unfortunately sometimes I redirect it to the wrong place :-} I love these threads and am looking forward to continuing to focus on being successful. Thanks again.

Julie,

You are on your way and on the right path. You'll hit goal in no time. All we have is time anyway right? A year has passed me already and I don't know where it went.

Thanks Telly. I am looking forward to additional posts to the exercise thread. You are inspiration and I appreciate you reaching out.

Good for you Julie.

You know, I didnt go out and immediately start running for miles as soon as I was banded. The urge hit me when I was ready. It will come for you too - not that it needs to be 3 hours a day. But I think after banding you heal bit by bit by bit, ever so slowly it all comes together. I'm a different person 7 months down the track, but it didnt all happen at once. And its taken me a solid 5 months or so since I first started exercising for it to become habit to me and something I want to do. I dont feel like I"ll fall in a heap and give it up now.

But you have to wait for that to come to you I think. You take your own steps as and when you feel ready to.