Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't compare ourselves to other people losing weight

Hello,

I don't want to take offense to anyone so that is not why I am writing this. I have read a ton of threads about people who are losing weight at a steady pace, some slower and some faster. For the faster folks I have noticed one in particular talks about the endless exercise she is doing. For most of us, it is impracticle to exercise 3x a day. The show "The Bigggest Loser" had them exercise 3 hours a day. Are you aware of this? In any case, its been on my mind that the average weight loss should be 1-2 lbs a week. It gets me down that I am one of the slower people. I think its great that some are losing faster, but in the end the truth of the band is average weight loss of 1-2 lbs a week. I have stopped comparing myself to others and have taken a realistic view of how much I am consuming and moving my butt. Thank you in advance for understanding we are ALL different and I for one will never use a thread to boast 3 hours a day of exercise. I would rather use a thread to gain insight into how the band works and the trial and tribulations of all of us. Thank you for listening.:confused:

My SIL and I were banded at the same time, so I have been really cautious about the comparing!! I made the decision, that while this may take me longer than it does some of the others, it has to be done in a way I am happy living my life in. I would be horribly unhappy living a life that denied me cake at my grandchilds birthday party, or did not allow me to enjoy dinner out with friends on occasion. Doing these things might slow my weight loss, but I need them. I do know when I have that much smaller piece of cake, it is still a vast improvement of how I would have chowed down prior to banding. I walk most days, plus I do things simply because of the exercise value of them now. For instance, helping my DH unload firewood the other day...he usually does it, but for a change, I saw it as an opportunity to do something we needed done and get some calories burned in the process. I do not have any desire to spend 3 hours a day for the remainder of my life exercising, so I am not doing that now. I am not breaking any weight loss records, but it is steady, my habits are changing, but they are habits I hope to have from this point on in my life. It might just be that those who are exercising for 3 hours a day will be the future marathoners, or triathletes, and wouldn't that be amazing!!! From fat to fit enough to do that!!?? But personally I don't care to do that! So I am doing my best to develop habits, both eating wise, and physically that I can live with in harmony! And so far so good!!

Best of Luck to you in your weightloss too!!

Kat

Hi Julie,

I see you're only a month out, and doing great so far! I am still waiting for my surgery date. :cry

Have you heard or been told in any seminars (education or dietary) anything about not eating bread, or rice, when one gets banded?

Also I just read on thinnertimes about someone's dad's co-worker having to have his band deflated every time he flies, then re-inflated and he has to go back on a liquid diet afterward. I can't figure out why... if he doesn't eat in flight (cabin under pressure) why it would matter?

Anyone reading this have any thoughts or ideas? Rumors being the annoying creatures they are, I thought I'd ask you fine folks here, that have actually been banded, to see what you think or have been told.

Thanks,

good luck, Julie, you'll do fine! :clap2:

Hugs,

Nanette

<><

Pre-Op :confused:

270/258/145

^

Hello,

...I have stopped comparing myself to others and have taken a realistic view of how much I am consuming and moving my butt...:)

Noone has ever mentioned anything to me about emptying my band to fly, I have not had any problems like that at all. As for bread and rice....bread, is difficult for me. If it is small amounts, and a part of something, it is fine, but as in a sandwich, it is usually too much, and is hard to digest. Remember when you were a kid in the lunchroom and you would ball up the roll off of your lunch tray? Bread tends to do that in your stomach, it balls up, and blocks everything from passing. Rice has not been a problem, I do not eat much of it, because it is high in carbs, and not high in much nutrition! But I can eat it without issue. Back to the unfilling and going on liquids. When you get a fill, whether it be maintenance fill, or refilling after it being removed for some reason, yes you do go back on liquids, my Dr. has me on Clear Liquids for 24 hours following a fill, full liquids, for another 12, then mushies, then regualr diet again. Sometimes the fill irritates the stomach and you swell, so the liquids keep the tummy calm as it adapts, and avoids the pattern of PB...swell...PB....swell. The fill itself is not "irritating" but the change of the pressure they told me sometimes irritates it. I am pretty new to all of this myself, but my aftercare Dr. is great at giving me lots of information!! This is a great site for getting answers! Some amazingly smart people around here!!!

Good Luck in your WL journey!

Kat

I was told that the carbs are not that good for us, but some bandster have no trouble digesting them. I do eat bread and a little rice. I have been eating a very well balanced diet and have turned a major corner this week with hunger of fullness. Today at lunchtime I had a childs size subway turkey sandwich and that was fine. I'm sure when I get a fill I'll only be able to eat 1/2 that size. So glad you got on my thread. It is so important to stay positive and not compare. I hope I didn't bash anyone as I do understand the triathaletes, etc. Its just not for ME. 20 minutes is all I can do right now. Good luck to you both. and No, haven't heard anything about deflation for flying.

on a recent edition of 20/20, they busted some myths and lies about the body. one was that overweight people are overweight in part because they have a lower basal metabolic rate than leaner people. this is a myth, they said, because the larger you are, the higher your BMR is. period.

but what they did find, in study after study, is that lean people move around an average of 2.5 hours more per day than overweight people. not exercising, per se, just moving!

once upon a time, i knew this, but i wasn't doing it. so often i'd get in a good hour of exercise and then pretty much be besedentary the rest of the day. couch potato-itis. :scared:

but this report prompted me to pull out my step-no risers-and just step up and down while watching t.v. i'm shooting for two hours every day of extra activity like this. i can already tell it is working. it is helping the jeans to fit looser, and it is also helping me to be aware of just moving more--which i think is just as important.

Hi Kat,

I wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the heart-felt words you wrote to Julie. :D

I don't know why the difference, but I love this forum (website) so much more than my local one (thinnertimes).

You just seem so positive and up-beat and happy and encouraging here! {{HUG TIME!}} haha

I find it incredibly wonderful you and Julie are doing so well - already! My gosh! 20# already, in a month?! wooHOO!

I have kinda bad knees -too many years hefting too many really heavy things, climbing scaffolding, crawling around to get at tight spaces, etc as a construction worker. So all this weight on the old knee ligaments is torture. I can't wait for the pounds to start coming off so I can walk like you are doing!

I guess my question is, is this what you do - walk? No callesthentics, no free weights? 'Just' walking? I'm not belittling, just saying 'I could do that!' :)

I suffer from pretty severe depression* - some of this has to be due to my weight- so I don't get out and actually do much of anything.

We have a huge heated pool and a wonderful HOT Jacuzzi spa, a free weight room with other machines, but do I get myself out and use any of it? Nooooo

Problem is, Dr. Callery :) (Poway Ca), wants me to lose 20 pounds before he will do my LapBand. So, *I made myself get out and go shopping. I went to Target and bought myself a bag of balls and a Serena and Venus tennis racquet. :D Last time I played tennis was 1974. LOL But I found some handball courts where I could hit some balls, and was doing pretty good, going every other day - until this horrendous heat wave hit.

I haven't had a Dr Pepper or a Reese's Peanutbutter Cup in over two months now... a record for me, for sure!

I read and re-read your wonderful post, and thought to myself, if I could do that, make myself just get out and walk around our beautiful mobile home park where we live, I could lose weight! This news just seems too good to be true. I guess I was thinking that after surgery, I would have to do what Julie was mentioning... turn into a super jock or nothing will come off. Fearing the worst, I guess...

Like I said earlier, I need to not hang out at thinnertimes (all gastric patients) any more, and just stay right here! Positive attitudes like yours, and encouraging, realistic people like you and Julie are who I need to be with!

Thank you SO MUCH for your upbeat attitude and your wonderfully encouraging words.

Big hugs,

Nanette

<><

Pre-Op :scared:

270/258/145 (I'm 5'4", 50 yrs old)

My SIL and I were banded at the same time, so I have been really cautious about the comparing!! I made the decision, that while this may take me longer than it does some of the others, it has to be done in a way I am happy living my life in. I would be horribly unhappy living a life that denied me cake at my grandchilds birthday party, or did not allow me to enjoy dinner out with friends on occasion. Doing these things might slow my weight loss, but I need them. I do know when I have that much smaller piece of cake, it is still a vast improvement of how I would have chowed down prior to banding. I walk most days, plus I do things simply because of the exercise value of them now. For instance, helping my DH unload firewood the other day... he usually does it, but for a change, I saw it as an opportunity to do something we needed done and get some calories burned in the process. I do not have any desire to spend 3 hours a day for the remainder of my life exercising, so I am not doing that now. I am not breaking any weight loss records, but it is steady, my habits are changing, but they are habits I hope to have from this point on in my life. It might just be that those who are exercising for 3 hours a day will be the future marathoners, or triathletes, and wouldn't that be amazing!!! From fat to fit enough to do that!!?? But personally I don't care to do that! So I am doing my best to develop habits, both eating wise, and physically that I can live with in harmony! And so far so good!!

Best of Luck to you in your weightloss too!!

Kat

Hi Nanette. I really think rorysmom above hit it on the head. Its just getting out and moving. Whether it is parking your car further, talking a walk, even visiting a friend (food not included) this takes us away from our sedative lifestyles. I am seriously working on the self "bad talk" so right now I am just praising and loving myself enough to move. So far its been a 20 minutes walk (mind you that is all I could do) and I had so much fun the other day at 55+ cardio class at the gym. That is something you may like. I'm 38 but the cardio itself was the perfect level. Just moving forward and from side to side. Abs and arms were included. Thank you for your kind words. I couldn't live without this site. I feel like I have made such wonderful friends, the kind of friends who understand because girl...THEY HAVE BEEN THERE! Keep the faith.

Thank you for this great information! I'm still going to stick with my sun tea, though. Have to get used to NO soda pop (diet even) any more.

:scared:

Thank you for posting this,

Nanette

<><

... this report prompted me to pull out my step-no risers-and just step up and down while watching t.v. i'm shooting for two hours every day of extra activity like this. I can already tell it is working. It is helping the jeans to fit looser, and it is also helping me to be aware of just moving more--which I think is just as important.

ALWAYS! - God is awesome - always! :scared:

Nanette

<><

PS: may I ask where you're located? this forum (website) doesn't show location like thinnertimes does. - Just wondering. I'm in San Diego county.

Keep the faith.

Hi Nanette!

I live in Imperial Beach, CA - not quite neighbors, but in SoCal!

Do what your Dr. says and lose that 20 lbs so you can get your band. After only 2 weeks with the band I have no more swelling of my hands or ankles and I'm feeling better every day. I promise you'll be glad you did it once it's in place.

Best of luck in your journey to a healthier you!!!

Hi Julie,

I don't have a date yet, hon... sorry to say.

But like IBLoser said, I do have to lose a bit more before he wants to to the band... sigh.

If you're ever down here, lemme know, K?

Hugs,

me

<><

I am in San Jose, CA. I have a great friend that lives in San Diego and I get to visit about 1x a year. Good luck with your surgery. When is it going to be?

I for one will never use a thread to boast 3 hours a day of exercise. I would rather use a thread to gain insight into how the band works and the trial and tribulations of all of us.

Well, I am more than happy to give a pat on the back to anyone who works out for 3 hours a day. If I did that I'd sure as heck feel like boasting about it!

We all do what we can when we can. Admittidly it is pretty hard for most of us to work out that much--but almost all of us could probably workout more than we do. (Ever watch TV for 3 hours in a day? ...yeah, me too...)

I'm really happy to see somone working out and losing faster--that means it is POSSIBLE for me. TIme and time again I have seen how much more successfully people lose weight when they exercise. THis is NOT just a matter of burning calories. It is also a matter of fighting depression, which does make most of us eat.

Many, MANY studies have shown that a minimum of 30 minutes of aerobic exercise 5 days per week has a tremendous effect on depression levels. It usually takes about 2 weeks for people to notice a big difference in mood--versus 3 weeks with most antidepressents.

There are many skinny people who don't exercise--but hardly ANY former fat people who became skinny people who don't. Oprah's average is an hour of aerobics 6 days a week along with 3 hours of weight training per week. That's MAINTENANCE.

So while you should not feel guilty by comparison, you might want to look to those heavy lifters for INSPIRATION. Instead of thinking, "Look how much they're doing, I can't do that much..." maybe think, "I can't wait until I've lost enough and have built up to where I can work out like that."

Believe me, it is incredibly EMPOWERING.

Hi IB, :scared:

I'm tryin, I'm tryin.

I have a lot of weight to lose... and I know I'm getting arthritic in places, like my left thumb where it joins my hand. This getting old business sux. LOL

A lot of it is the re-training of my brain and mind-set... trying to not have a "food-centered life" any more, as Dr. Callery put it. (Wow, talk about your revelation!!) hey - I can get myself up and outta bed without having Cocoa Pebbles and chocolate soy milk as the impetus any more! HA!

Did your surgeon, or dietician(sp?) explain to you how one stops losing weight, after they've reached their goal?

That's one concern I have... :omg: where are the brakes in this scenario?

Thanks everyone for being here for me. This is way too kewl! I think I'll go duct tape my yellowpages together and make my own step thingie to use. I don't watch TV, but I can still plop it on the kitchen floor and entertain the cats with my unusual antics. Haha.

Big hugs,

Nanette (in Fallbrook!)

<><

Hi Nanette!

I live in Imperial Beach, CA - not quite neighbors, but in SoCal!

Do what your Dr. says and lose that 20 lbs so you can get your band. After only 2 weeks with the band I have no more swelling of my hands or ankles and I'm feeling better every day. I promise you'll be glad you did it once it's in place.

Best of luck in your journey to a healthier you!!!