Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain where the stomach was pulled out

I had surgery on Tuesday, the 28th. It has been getting easier each day, however, the majority of my pain is from the scope hole used to pull the stomach out. I'm sure that my body is re-adjusting it's new space, but I haven't read about anyone else having this. It is painful, but controlled w/ meds. I was just wondering how long this lasts, if anyone has experienced this as I have.

I had surgery on Tuesday, the 28th. It has been getting easier each day, however, the majority of my pain is from the scope hole used to pull the stomach out. I'm sure that my body is re-adjusting it's new space, but I haven't read about anyone else having this. It is painful, but controlled w/ meds. I was just wondering how long this lasts, if anyone has experienced this as I have.

I'm so glad you posted this! I had my sleeve done on the 20th and that incision site is still sore...But I remember it hurting A LOT but was controlled by meds. I can't wait for someone to answer your question!

:) Kelly

My surgery was on the 23rd. That incision for me was the most painful. And something really weird about it is that right above that incision, there is a very noticeable dent in my stomach. I'm not concerned with it because when the weight comes off, it will probably not be noticeable. It looks like they did Lipo suction in that one area. Lol

The pain in that incision isn't as bad but now I'm having a lot of inner pain were they cut me about 3 inches above that. I'm sure it is just scar tissue forming inside and it hurts when I stretch it or what have you.

Can't wait either to hear others' answers.

My surgery was on the 23rd. That incision for me was the most painful. And something really weird about it is that right above that incision, there is a very noticeable dent in my stomach. I'm not concerned with it because when the weight comes off, it will probably not be noticeable. It looks like they did Lipo suction in that one area. Lol

The pain in that incision isn't as bad but now I'm having a lot of inner pain were they cut me about 3 inches above that. I'm sure it is just scar tissue forming inside and it hurts when I stretch it or what have you.

Can't wait either to hear others' answers.

I have that same dent below that incision site...SO WEIRD!!!

I haven't had VSG but I have had laparoscopic WLS. The sorest for me was the largest incision, which was used to insert my AGB and attach the port. I'm guessing you guys have a similar deal where one incision is the "main" (removal) incision and quite a bit larger than the rest. Some of the other incisions -- I didn't even know I had them until I saw them well after getting home. But that main one, ouch. Overall my pain was very tolerable, but what I did have definitely came from that larger incision (and did for a few weeks).

A few years ago, after my AGB, I had my GB removed and the surgeon re-used the same incisions and added a new, tiny one by my belly button. Once again, the main incision is what hurt.

And there had been just enough time between the two procedures for my slightly keloided scar to calm down and flatten... just in time to have it re-cut... and it's now flattened again, right as I am researching VSG as a revision option. SIgh...

I'm 5 weeks out...I was sore for a good 3 weeks, I didn't have to take pain meds ALL the time but I did need them occasionally. It gets better though, and when you see the scale moving it's worth the pain. Take it easy and if you have people that are willing to help you...LET THEM! Good luck!!!

I have the dent too, my scar is pretty much in the center of the dent. I'm going to have to do some research on that. This was still sensitive up until about a week ago. But my little scar on my left side hurt more, because I kept trying to sleep on my left side. Never needed pain meds. Bummed that all my scars look like they're turning into keloid...I'm afraid to put anything too harsh on them, maybe I'll just try Vit E.

Definitely the larger incision was the most painfull. I assumed that is where they pulled the stomach out since the others are literally little holes! One other hurt a little more too and the others I could not even tell they were there. I did not need pain medication but a couple of weeks out I sneezed and did something that sent me back to day one! (I know, what a dork). I just used liquid tylenol. After week three there little to no pain. I feel them more if I bend down or some kind of movement. I tend to forget about them. I will be 4 weeks out monday. Everyone is different but it seems to be just a couple of weeks or so of discomfort. I think the placement of the incisions may play a role. I have seen pictures of different people's and noticed that we are not all exactly the same. I am guessing different surgeons placed them based on their technique. Good luck with the healing and your journey!

I am 18 days and that incision is killing me, but I took some advil and it feels so much better. Doc said it was ok to take two. He also said soda was ok in moderation, but just let it sit for awhile. I guess the pain will go away one day. The steri-strip is still there so I don't know if it is trying to oooze. I feel great other than that so I figure the pain will go away one day. Tylenol didn't do crap. Advil is my cure all. I just chewed it up. I think my pain has got to be the worst. NO SERIOUSLY it makes me want to HURT SOMEBODY. IT IS NOT COOL AT ALL. But then I take the advil, and I feel like a normal person again.

I had surgery on the same date as yourself and while I haven't had any major pain from my incisions, I do have an occasional throb sensation and only on the biggest incision. I only take my pain meds at night and that's to sleep better. During the day, I am fine.

My question is how do you all know which incision is the one they pulled your stomach out of?

Ha! That is exactly what I was wondering!

Your BIGGEST incision is the one that your stomach came out of.

Mine was about an inch above and to the right of my belly button! The incision is about the size of my thumb wide. It hurt the worst and was bruised. It had a BIG dent in it for a couple weeks and now looks fine!

Hope that helps!

Kelly :D

Ha! That is exactly what I was wondering!

Thanks for all of the response to this, glad I'm not alone. All of my incisions are the same size, however one (when looking down, it's to the right side above my belly button) was all red and irritated. I asked the nurse and the doctor and they told me that this is where the stomach was pulled out of. This morning, the redness is going away, but that is the only spot that I have significant pain. Reaching, standing after sitting, etc. is bothersome, but bearable.

When I had lap band the first time, the port revision, and ultimately, the removal, they used a larger incision and it was also sore. I haven't noticed a dent yet, but now I'll be looking for it! Thanks for sharing!!!

Your BIGGEST incision is the one that your stomach came out of.

Mine was about an inch above and to the right of my belly button! The incision is about the size of my thumb wide. It hurt the worst and was bruised. It had a BIG dent in it for a couple weeks and now looks fine!

Hope that helps!

Kelly :D

I went to my one week post op visit Friday. I'm actually 8 days out. I had my staples removed and asked lots of questions. I have 7 incision spots. I had my husband take a picture today before we left for the doctor. Maybe I will post it if anyone wants to see.

I was told that the largest incision which by the way is were the dent is, is were my stomach came out and that most patients have the dent and they are usually a lot bigger than mine. She said that it is because of the internal cutting and stapling/suturing (?) that they do to the scar directly above it. I have had a lot of pain that seems deep between these two scars. She said that they actually cut through a two inch strip of muscle but I cant remember the reasoning on this. She said this will cause some pain for a while until it heals. Also, she said that one day I will wake up and the dent will have just popped out and things will look normal. I hope this helps with some explanation. It's hard to remember all the details of what she said. Both my husband and I were asking a lot of questions and she was spilling out answers as fast as she could. By the way, she was not the surgeon. I can't remember her title but she sure did know a lot. I really liked her.