Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you need a EGD for your revision?

Just got a call from my surgeon's office. My insurance apparently requires an EGD. The lady called me on my cell, which gets horrible reception, so I didn't hear everything and didn't have much opportunity to ask. I'm going to call her back as soon as I have a chance.

I don't know if the EGS is required for the band removal part, or the revision part. Or if it's required b/c my chief symptom from my slip was reflux. Or if it's standard to check for hiatal hernias when doing a sleeve-type procedure. Or... who knows.

Just curious if it was "standard" for band -> sleeve revisions. Hope to have more info soon.

It is standard even if there are no symptoms of reflux or a slip. It lets the surgeon know what condition your stomach is in before getting you opened up.

That makes sense. I never could get back in touch to ask her questions. She did mention it would need to be submitted with the documentation that proves my slip, which left me more confused... it's not gonna show exterior so why would it matter...

I didn't even know they had contacted my insurance company yet, so this is at least progress, and progress is good. Having to do an EGD maybe not good, but I will take it if it means we're moving forward. :)

Sometimes they can see an erosion from the inside that was not visible on the outside, and if there has been any reflux at any time they can see the damage from that as well. Usually the results are used to determine if insurance will cover the surgery or not as well as letting the physician know how complicated a case it may or may not be.

EGD is a standard test needed. It allows the doc to get a good look at your band and the overall condition of your stomach pouch. This result will help determine the type of revision you need. Take this as a good thing to have, and be glad the dr is being thorough.

Good luck! Ronda:D

Just got a call from my surgeon's office. My insurance apparently requires an EGD. The lady called me on my cell, which gets horrible reception, so I didn't hear everything and didn't have much opportunity to ask. I'm going to call her back as soon as I have a chance.

I don't know if the EGS is required for the band removal part, or the revision part. Or if it's required b/c my chief symptom from my slip was reflux. Or if it's standard to check for hiatal hernias when doing a sleeve-type procedure. Or... who knows.

Just curious if it was "standard" for band -> sleeve revisions. Hope to have more info soon.

Yikes! I have Anthem Blue Cross and wasn't required to get an EGD!! My band had not slipped, it just wasn't effective and gave me a lot of pain at the site of the port.....but it sure sounds like it's a good idea!

anonynurse - do you know how long it takes for reflux damage/ulcerations to heal to the point that it can't be visually detected? I'm curious about this.

I have only had reflux twice since getting a total unfill (early last month), and both times were within a week of the unfill. My fills/unfills apparently now take about 8 days to kick in - I know that's not unusual, but it is for me. Prior to that, I was having severe reflux (severe as in the degree, not frequency -- only 1 or 2 times a month, but all night long, as soon as I would doze off, even if I was sitting up, 1 - 3 nights in a row. That had gone on for at least 2 - 2.5 years that I can remember... I got tired of hearing "need more unfill" and actually started thinking it was dysmotility, especially since it was so intermittent... with 20/20 hindsight I should have connected the dots, but I didn't have much in common with other slips I had read about. Also because I knew 100% when I would have the spells... it was a weird feeling that I thought was the food not passing thru... I just attributed that feeling to yet another change (since it was my 3rd or 4th complete change in band sensations).

I also had at least one case of aspiration pneumonia, but it was just documented/diagnosed as "pneumonia" (but when I'm not sick, and no one around me is sick, and I have no fever, and 4 days prior I woke up to acid in my lungs... I never finished med school, but I'm comfortable taking a somewhat educated guess...)

I'm wondering if that damage would still be visible, since I (hopefully) won't have had any reflux for about 5 weeks by the time of me EGD.

Your doctor doing the EGD should be able to determine the condition your stomach is in. There could be ulcers forming, tissue irritationfrohom the acid reflux problems, or just scar tissue developing after having the band. I would not worry what they find or how long the healing time--just be glad situation you are currently in with the lapband. I would think the healing time might be about 4 to 6 weeks. Everybody is different, and your doctor may have a different idea about that. Just follow their orders, get the EGD, and let your surgical team work a plan for you.

Good luck! Ronda :);)

anonynurse - do you know how long it takes for reflux damage/ulcerations to heal to the point that it can't be visually detected? I'm curious about this.

I have only had reflux twice since getting a total unfill (early last month), and both times were within a week of the unfill. My fills/unfills apparently now take about 8 days to kick in - I know that's not unusual, but it is for me. Prior to that, I was having severe reflux (severe as in the degree, not frequency -- only 1 or 2 times a month, but all night long, as soon as I would doze off, even if I was sitting up, 1 - 3 nights in a row. That had gone on for at least 2 - 2.5 years that I can remember... I got tired of hearing "need more unfill" and actually started thinking it was dysmotility, especially since it was so intermittent... with 20/20 hindsight I should have connected the dots, but I didn't have much in common with other slips I had read about. Also because I knew 100% when I would have the spells... it was a weird feeling that I thought was the food not passing thru... I just attributed that feeling to yet another change (since it was my 3rd or 4th complete change in band sensations).

I also had at least one case of aspiration pneumonia, but it was just documented/diagnosed as "pneumonia" (but when I'm not sick, and no one around me is sick, and I have no fever, and 4 days prior I woke up to acid in my lungs... I never finished med school, but I'm comfortable taking a somewhat educated guess...)

I'm wondering if that damage would still be visible, since I (hopefully) won't have had any reflux for about 5 weeks by the time of me EGD.

Edited by RSREED53