Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved two weeks ago - need some support!!

Hi all,

I had my sleeve done on June 1st. I went into the hospital at 239 and came out two days later at 230 and have lost NOTHING since. I hover back and forth between 231 and 230. Stalling so soon after surgery I am really starting to worry it didn't work!! I am eating very little, mainly because I have had problems with diarrhea - so right now I am probably only getting 30 grams of Protein a day. HELP! Is this normal?? I am trying to get my fluids and protein in slowly, but right now my main concern is that I am consumming almost nothing and the scale isn't budging.

Jen

At a week out, your body is still holding onto all the fluids the surgeon pumped your stomach up with! Do not be concerned just yet. I know it's all exciting to see the lbs drop so quickly after surgery, but in reality, it's not gonna happen like that. Your body is still in shock and has no idea what you just did to it. Some people gain weight after surgery from all the fluids that are left in the body. But dont worry.... you will slowly start to release the fluids and begin to lose some pounds. But remember, you're body is in shock and this is completely normal! It happened to me and then I went into a 2, almost 3 week stall! Then one day I dropped 5lbs in one week. So, keep your chin up and keep sipping that water!

DO NOT worry about getting Protein in at this point. Focus on staying hydrated!!! IT is hard enough to get enough fluids in right now, let alone get enough protein in!!

SIP SIP SIP all you can and those lbs will go away!! I gained 12 lbs from my surgery and they left me in a week. Your's will too. Don't worry about it. Do what you are suppose to do and you can not lose, well, you will lose (the weight!!!).

Kelly :)

I agree with Stacy totally. If you can, focus on following your eating plan and taking care of yourself and know that your body will catch up soon enough. Your surgery "worked" but it isn't magic and it will take your body a little while to start letting go of those pounds! Take care and welcome to the loser's bench! :D

Hi,

I gained 15 lbs. after surgery and suffered with diarrhea for the first two weeks.

If you are using any dairy products other than yogurt or cheese, try cutting them out. I found when I cut out cottage cheese and lactaid milk my diarrhea lessened to 2-3 times per day. I use soymilk now without a problem.

Try to focus on getting your fluids first and find a way to tolerate the Protein. I used the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup Protein powder at first. It was about the only thing I tolerated well.

Go easy on yourself and remember you are healing and you are losing weight. It's simple math. Your body burns calories. If you eat less than you burn, your body's reserves (fat) will be used. Even a comatose person burns more than 600 calories a day!! Your weight is not budging because our bodies are around 50% Water and that percentage can fluctuate. For me, it took 8 days for the Water from surgery to come off and after that I lost at a pretty good clip for several days before hanging at the same weight for several more days. Now, I'm back to losing again but I'm expecting another few days of stalled scale figures anytime.

Right now, concentrate on healing and staying hydrated -- everything else you want will follow.

Lynda

You really need to push fluids as much as humanly possible. Get a sports bottle that you can literally hook to your body. Then you can sip anywhere. Your body is holding on to everything because of the surgery as well as the diarrhea. The more you can sip the better. If you are worried about Protein, go get Unjury chicken Soup or another clear protein and sip that. Let us know how your doing

Thank you soooo much! You have no idea how much it help and support you have provided! It is so great to hear that what I am going through is normal. Lynda, where do you get the Unjury chicken Soup Protein Powder? ? I only have sweet powders and I have to admit, I am getting tired of them. When you changed to soy, did you also change your Protein powder? I have been using a whey powder.

unjury is only available online- they ship ground but they were happy to send me some packets 2nd day- it can't be done online but by phone they are very helpful. It made a huge difference to me too after all those sweet drinks. One thing I recommend is to add 12 ounces of Water to it instead of 8 as it is a bit salty. They also have an unflavored Protein powder to mix in to other things that I found really helpful as you can add it to cream Soup and get good Protein.< /p>

Also- I had diarrhea for just over two and a half weeks and then it went away. Maybe you are about to have that happen too!

I was sleeved on 5/24, and hit a mini plateau a week after surgery. I had dropped 7 or 8 pounds from the day of surgery and then nothing for almost 8 days. Then the next day I was down 4 pounds. I know that I have a huge calorie deficit so there's no way I'm not losing weight. I just figure my body is in shock and is holding on to stuff. I keep telling myself NOT to get on the scale everyday, but this early on when you are eating so little, it's hard not to. ;-) Good luck!

Okay - I have now lost 3 more pounds!! After posting I REALLY worked on upping my fluids and it seems to have stopped the diarrhea and I am now losing a little bit at a time. I am sooo tired of shakes but I am feeling good!