Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Mrs and I have decided that we both want the VSG and have plotted our course from being green lit by Aetna to post-surgery. I'm thinking of calling a limo to pick us up and take the new us home!

Can a couple get the surgery done simultaneously? How much at-home care is needed? Her parents are in town as well as her two brothers. We can lean on each other but is it too taxing and stressful to have us both newly sleeved at the same time?Also, if allowed by Aetna, I'd like us to populate one of the fancy double rooms for a few nights (4 is dandy) before we get kicked.

The Mrs and I have decided that we both want the VSG and have plotted our course from being green lit by Aetna to post-surgery. I'm thinking of calling a limo to pick us up and take the new us home!

Can a couple get the surgery done simultaneously? How much at-home care is needed? Her parents are in town as well as her two brothers. We can lean on each other but is it too taxing and stressful to have us both newly sleeved at the same time?Also, if allowed by Aetna, I'd like us to populate one of the fancy double rooms for a few nights (4 is dandy) before we get kicked.

That is really wonderful about the plans you guys have made. I haven't had my surgery yet, so will have to defer to others on whether it is advised or not. But, I would suspect that part of that depends on what (if any) health issues either of you have currently that could require special care afterwards. Also, your Dr. might offer some good insight on this as well.

I can comment though on the use of the request for double rooms, etc. Your insurance company will typically only pay for 1 or 2 nights of stay at the hospital unless there are complications and so if you wanted to stay longer, I suspect it would be on your dime. That being said, I am betting you would have a more romantic stay in a hotel room (cheaper too).

Way to go though!

If everything goes smoothly with surgery you should have no problems as long as you have the relatives to help out. I couldn't drive for 5 days post op so my hubbie was in charge of going to the store if I needed something.

However, if one of you has complications, the other would be in a very weakened state and probably unable to provide the support they would want to give. Statistically, it probably wont happen, but it is a consideration.

Good luck to you both!

(BTW, I have Aetna insurance and was in for one night)

Thanks you two. I hadn't considered the hotel Idea. The Santa Fe is very close to our home.

I wish hubby and I were able to do this together but we have a 13 year old at home and having both parents out of commisson would not work. :) Good luck!

I actually think you would be better served by doing it separately. I really needed my husband when I got home- he made my Protein drinks and would appear in the morning with my first drink of the day, a 32 ounce bottle of Water and 16 ounce bottle of Propel on ice, and a cup of 12 oz of tea. He was my angel and unless someone would actually be with you all day I can't see you both being in recovery at the same time. UNLESS you are both in great shape other than your weight and can somehow know neither of you will have a hard time of it. I was very very tired and low energy, especially the first week when my carbs were way too low. I could not have been doing much. For example, I am not allowed to lift more than 5 pounds so even picking laptop up is something I could not do, not to mention our 20 pound dog!

No matter what your mind knows going in to it, your body is taken by surprise. There is no way of knowing how you will respond to it but you need to remember this is MAJOR surgery- stomach surgery,

If it helps, I have a vlog (link in my sig) and if you look at all my videos and start with the one on surgery day and then the first week or two after you might get a sense of how it can be. I know some people have zero problems and are bouncing around immediately- but some people do not have that experience. I think each of you should have your chance to have the other one help you- though as I said if your family members can be there to care for you then go for it!

I would wait 3-4 weeks in between if not. Ladies first? ;-P

I think that is so neat that you want to have surgery together! Is it the best idea??? Not sure what to tell you. Everyone responds different to surgery and you won't know until you have it how you will be. If you don't have any kids or pets at home it may be doable. My biggest issue at home is that I am not supposed to lift for 6 weeks. Hubby and kids help with lifting the laundry and whatever else I need. Since I came home I have been getting my own drinks and "foods". I was tired after I came home and became dehydrated but didn't have any pain or nausea or anything.

Keep us posted. Love the limo idea!

Meggie I have seen your videos and look at them almost daily. Just to gain perspective and inspiration if nothing more. While I haven't had VSG surgery, I have had my gallbladder removed (by the same surgeon that will do my VSG) and Dr Teng uses the same anesthesiologist ALL THE TIME, Dr Vitus Teng! His brother.

I think of them as Allstate and I'm in good hands.

If there are any similarities (feelings post op) between a cholecystectomy and VSG then I'll be ok and will assume the role of watchdog. I was released from the hospital the same evening. All I did was go home and sleep for a bit. My only restriction was that I could not sleep on my right side or my stomach.

You're right. If we have to do them separately then Ladies first! I just very well may have my duck more in a row because I go to our PCP more.

I had my surgery Dec 1st and my husband had his March 30. I am glad we did not have it at the same time as the first few weeks he was able to help me get up and around and for him I was able to drive and support him when he had some dizzy spells. We had lifting restrictions and even bending over to pick up and fold laundry really hurt during the first 4 weeks for me so he did housework when I was recuperating and I was able to do it when he was recuperating. I would personally recommend that it would be a least 30 days apart so that you can help each other in case of emergencies do do lifting or driving if needed. Once you both get to the same stage of food it will be wonderful. We are now cheap dates in splitting a lot of meals when we got out. Congrats on both making the decision to have the surgery, you will not regret it!

My wife and I are getting sleeved also. we are spreading ours out a little...Me first though. simply because I started the process with this surgeon first and I am farther along in the process than she is. She got her insurance approval today and I have my consult with the surgeon on Thursday. We have talked about doing them at the same time and even mentioned it to our surgeon and he agreed that spreading them out would be better.

Good luck with your process...I hope it goes as well as ours did.