Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet started today

Hi all,

My surgery is on the 23rd. And i just started my 3 week pre-op diet. So far, im doing ok. And havent really had any "hunger" yet. But the Bariatric Advantage shakes aren't very appealing. Anyone have any ideas that i can safely add to the shakes??? THANK YOU

My surgery is on the 28th. My surgeon has not really given me a pre op diet with the exception of 2 days before surgery. My brother, however, was required to go on a pre op diet before hand and his weight loss has been phenomenal. Even though, I'm not required to do it I think I will anyway. So I was wondering if I could get on board with you? Would you tell me what your pre op diet consists of? Maybe we can get through these 3 weeks together!

Hi there! I am required to do the preop diet. I actually started a week early to try to get off as much weight as possible. The doctor required 15 lbs. and I'm already there but if course will keep going.

He told me no more than 1000 calories a day. Most needed to be Protein. So I started out using my husband's Protein shakes. He uses the Musle Milk. Oh yuck! I couldn't handle the artificial sweetner after taste. I actually had a meltdown my first day. It was bad! Lol So I went to the Vitamin store and walked out with Syntha-6 chocolate Milkshake flavor. I love it. It has 200 calories (mixing with water), 22 grams of Protein, 15 grams of carbs. I was told to do a 1:1 ratio and of course, I said, "What the heck does that mean?" It means for every gram of protein, I need a gram of carb. Well I'm not quite getting that with this shake but real close and it's working.

I have 4 shakes a day spaced out every 3-4 hours. That's 800 calories. Then I have a very small supper. Sometimes tuna, Boca Burger, tilapia (baked with a touch of olive oil, salt, and Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper), or something like that but no red meat (doctor's orders). I also have something green and leafy...also doctor's orders.

After having my first appointment with the doctor, I managed to lose 5 pounds. I started my preop diet 8 days ago and have lost another 10. So it works.

Good luck and I'll see you on the other side.

My surgery is on the 28th. My surgeon has not really given me a pre op diet with the exception of 2 days before surgery. My brother, however, was required to go on a pre op diet before hand and his weight loss has been phenomenal. Even though, I'm not required to do it I think I will anyway. So I was wondering if I could get on board with you? Would you tell me what your pre op diet consists of? Maybe we can get through these 3 weeks together!

SURE!!!! I don't have the pre-op diet with me ( im at work ) but i can scan it tomorrow and email it to you if that would help!!

I think it would be great to go through this with someone. it is soooo hard on your own

wow good for you! this has been super hard for me. I actually messed up on the first day :( BUT today is a new day and we can do this!!

Hi there! I am required to do the preop diet. I actually started a week early to try to get off as much weight as possible. The doctor required 15 lbs. and I'm already there but if course will keep going.

He told me no more than 1000 calories a day. Most needed to be Protein. So I started out using my husband's Protein shakes. He uses the Musle Milk. Oh yuck! I couldn't handle the artificial sweetner after taste. I actually had a meltdown my first day. It was bad! Lol So I went to the Vitamin store and walked out with Syntha-6 chocolate Milkshake flavor. I love it. It has 200 calories (mixing with water), 22 grams of protein, 15 grams of carbs. I was told to do a 1:1 ratio and of course, I said, "What the heck does that mean?" It means for every gram of protein, I need a gram of carb. Well I'm not quite getting that with this shake but real close and it's working.

I have 4 shakes a day spaced out every 3-4 hours. That's 800 calories. Then I have a very small supper. Sometimes tuna, Boca Burger, tilapia (baked with a touch of olive oil, salt, and Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper), or something like that but no red meat (doctor's orders). I also have something green and leafy...also doctor's orders.

After having my first appointment with the doctor, I managed to lose 5 pounds. I started my preop diet 8 days ago and have lost another 10. So it works.

i'd rather do your diet :( i have Bariatric Advantage and don't have ANY meat whatso ever :( just shakes , bars and a salad with 0 calorie dressing. i could go for some tuna right now :)

He told me no more than 1000 calories a day. Most needed to be Protein. So I started out using my husband's Protein Shakes. He uses the Musle Milk. Oh yuck! I couldn't handle the artificial sweetner after taste. I actually had a meltdown my first day. It was bad! Lol So I went to the Vitamin store and walked out with Syntha-6 chocolate Milkshake flavor. I love it. It has 200 calories (mixing with water), 22 grams of Protein, 15 grams of carbs. I was told to do a 1:1 ratio and of course, I said, "What the heck does that mean?" It means for every gram of protein, I need a gram of carb. Well I'm not quite getting that with this shake but real close and it's working.

I will tell you that the start of the first day, ummmmm...I did mess up too...I had forgotten because that was such an awful day! I had two huge cups of coffee with tons of sugar and cream.

You are rightt, we can do this!!!!

wow good for you! this has been super hard for me. I actually messed up on the first day :( BUT today is a new day and we can do this!!

Well, this was what I was told to do if I was starting early. I'm sitting right now waiting on my preop class to start, so I may have to do something different after today. I'll let you know. I'm sorry for you, I know that has to be really hard because just one small meal a day is hard. Not having anything but liquid...ugh..I don't know how I would react myself. Can you change your Protein shake? You get something that taste good and you want feel as deprived. My doctor was okay with that as long as I stayed within his limits of calories, Protein and such.

i'd rather do your diet :( i have Bariatric Advantage and don't have ANY meat whatso ever :( just shakes , bars and a salad with 0 calorie dressing. i could go for some tuna right now :)

Keep me posted :) it sucks that each doctor is different in regards to the pre-op diet. I wish i could have at lease one reasonable lean meal for dinner. Im here at work, chomping on cucumbers and im already feeling deprived. YET i know i have to do this :) i am doing my best but it does suck!

GOod luck to you!!

Well, this was what I was told to do if I was starting early. I'm sitting right now waiting on my preop class to start, so I may have to do something different after today. I'll let you know. I'm sorry for you, I know that has to be really hard because just one small meal a day is hard. Not having anything but liquid...ugh..I don't know how I would react myself. Can you change your Protein shake? You get something that taste good and you want feel as deprived. My doctor was okay with that as long as I stayed within his limits of calories, Protein and such.

I've decided to follow my good friend's pre op plan who had surgery 2 years ago and has since lost 250 lbs. For some reason, my surgeon doesn't require it but I'm going to do it anyway b/c I need every advantage as I am at 400 lbs if not slightly over. My pre op diet will consist of 8 Atkins advantage shakes per day spaced out every 2 hours. I will also start drinking Water which up until now I don't do. I live from soda. So today is a new day for me!!

Good for you! Yes i lived off of Dr. Pepper for years! And luckily i was able to give it up cold turkey few months ago. Good luck on the diet. its not very easy but im sure it will be all worth it :)

I've decided to follow my good friend's pre op plan who had surgery 2 years ago and has since lost 250 lbs. For some reason, my surgeon doesn't require it but I'm going to do it anyway b/c I need every advantage as I am at 400 lbs if not slightly over. My pre op diet will consist of 8 Atkins advantage shakes per day spaced out every 2 hours. I will also start drinking Water which up until now I don't do. I live from soda. So today is a new day for me!!

<font color="#9932cc" size="3" face="Century Gothic">Well, I had my preop class today! It took 6 hours! Well, part of that was meeting with nurses, the doctor, the payment guy, going to the pharmacy down stairs to fill prescriptions .... needless to say, it was a veryyyyyy long day!:blink: Lots of great information though. I feel a little better knowing that they are very aware of the pain you will go through and nausousness (sp?) and want to make sure they control it their very best.

Anyways, my preop diet has changed starting tomorrow. I will only be able to have 2 Protein shakes a day and one small meal. Ugh! :( I just got used to what I was doing. Now, I hope I don't have all the hunger I had when I first started. I commented to them that that would only be around 600-700 calories a day. They already realized that and wasn't surprised in the least bit! ahhhhh!