Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help, please! Chewable Multi Vitamins are making me sick!

Hi all... I'm new to the group. I'm 13 days out. I had my sleeve done on 5/17/11. My doctor told me to take the chewable Bariatric Advantage Multi Vitamins, but since surgery everytime I take them I throw up. I'm still in my liquid stage (my doctor requires liquids for 2 weeks) and I've even tried taking them with a Protein Shake. Has anyone else experienced this? I've always been a faithful Vitamin taker. Even before surgery. Does anyone know if there is a capsule or something out there that my stomach might tolerate better. I've tried taking my daughter's flinstone Vitamins, too. They made me sick also.

Thanks so much for your help!

Same exact thing happened with me without fail with the Bariatric Advantage multi-vitamins and the Calcium. So I spoke with my surgeon and he said just get a chewy Vitamin it will be fine. I went to Target and they have their Up & Up brand of a chewy Multi-Vitamin and a chewy calcium. Both do just fine on my stomach. I don't love the taste of them, but at least I am not barfing them and now I am getting the Vitamins I need. You will want to check with your surgeon to make sure it is ok, and to check to see how many you need to take because you might take more then the bottle recommends for a day. Good luck!!

Target Multi

Calcium

I am taking the Bariatric Advantage crystals. You mix it with 8oz of Water and it has a berry flavor. It's a little gritty but I have been able to tolerate them just fine. I know others who take Adult gummy vitamins but I am not sure of the brands.

These are a complete bariatric Multivitamin in capsule form (doesn't include the Iron or Calcium if you need them). There are others, this is just the one I take.

https://www.celebratevitamins.com/shop/multivitamin/multivitamin-capsules.html

Good luck. I managed to finish up my chewables before I started the capsules, but I hated every minute of it.

Look for Gummy vitamins! I can't stand the chalky chewables, but every gummy I've tried is delicious.

The BA Vitamins don't make me vomit, but make me feel queasy for about 10-15 minutes after I take it.

I hate to take it everyday. They are NASTY!!

I didn't mind them so much before surgery, I don't know why they are so bad now.

I know there are other's out there, but finding gummies with minerals in them is hard. That is what is important in the vitamins.

Kelly

My Multivitamin still makes me a little nauseated every time I take it, but my b-complex sits just fine. Weird. I'm switching to tablets as soon as I run out of the effervescent ones.

Same here. I would vomit within 10 minutes of taking those awful things. So I switched to Celebrate which go down great AND I listened to the advice here (from Alex) and I only take 1/2 of one per day for now. When I get my nerve up, I may try an entire one but the BA's have me gun shy. I also bought some of the children's chewables and occasionally will add one of those in as an extra.

As a side note, I did not take them for the first 2 and 1/2 weeks, or if I did they came back up. Now that I can get them down I can tell a real difference in my energy level. I personally think they are very important and am glad I kept trying until I found something that worked for me. I'm still not ready to dance the rumba, but I do feel better with this added nutrition.

I like my gummies....I think they're One-A-Day, but they taste good and I can tolerate them. Tried a sublingual B12 and just about lost it--wasn't bad-tasting, but sleevie doesn't like, so... still hunting a good B12 option.

Meg

I've been using the Multivitamins from Maxalife. Have you heard about this product before? Maxalife is a nutrition, health and wellness company that provides world-class anti aging supplements, Omega Vitamins and Omega 3 fish oil based on advanced scientific information and research. Try to visit their site sleeved. I think their supplement will help to answer your problem.

My nut told me the gummy's are not any good and don't have enough minerals/vitamins in them.

She said that I am far enough out now 5 weeks that I can take Centrum. MUCH MUCH better. Don't make me feel queasy at all!

Thank goodness I can swallow big pills now!!

Kelly

I've been having the exact, same problem. I could not even begin to take those chewables. I was recommended liquid vitamines - Blue Bonnet. Not too tasty but very good in terms of content. It does have a few more carbs. I was advised against the gummies at this stage unless I can be absolutely sure I can suck on them and not swallow any particles. My MD is big on ONLY liquids. I was just sleeved 6/6/11. I noticed someone also suggested dissolvable crystals. That may be a great option too. I take two adult doses which equals two ounces. I was told the vitamines are best absorbed when taken with Proteins so I break it up into four doeses of a table spoon each. I take them throughout the day so as to spread them out and increase absorption. I also got the liquid vitamines of the same brand. Hope this help. Best of luck with this!!!!

Hi all... I'm new to the group. I'm 13 days out. I had my sleeve done on 5/17/11. My doctor told me to take the chewable Bariatric Advantage Multi Vitamins, but since surgery everytime I take them I throw up. I'm still in my liquid stage (my doctor requires liquids for 2 weeks) and I've even tried taking them with a Protein shake. Has anyone else experienced this? I've always been a faithful Vitamin taker. Even before surgery. Does anyone know if there is a capsule or something out there that my stomach might tolerate better. I've tried taking my daughter's flinstone Vitamins, too. They made me sick also.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi, your topic really caught my attention. I also bought Bariatric Advantage multi-vitamins and I hate them! Although I have not thrown up. (I had my VSG on 6/6/11) I bought the French vanilla flavor and they are strong tasting and melt like sand in your mouth. I am forcing myself to get them down. But I was thinking of crushing them and adding them to my Protein Shakes since they are vanilla flavored...do you think that's an option for you? I also bought their Calcium tablets and hate them even more...I have to admit I haven't taken them in a few days. Ugh! I feel for you, but hang in there and see if your dietician can help you out. I am going to start trying liquid and chewy forms of supplements next, the chalk and sand are too yucky!!

Hi, your topic really caught my attention. I also bought Bariatric Advantage multi-Vitamins and I hate them! Although I have not thrown up. (I had my VSG on 6/6/11) I bought the French Vanilla flavor and they are strong tasting and melt like sand in your mouth. I am forcing myself to get them down. But I was thinking of crushing them and adding them to my Protein shakes since they are vanilla flavored...do you think that's an option for you? I also bought their Calcium tablets and hate them even more...I have to admit I haven't taken them in a few days. Ugh! I feel for you, but hang in there and see if your dietician can help you out. I am going to start trying liquid and chewy forms of supplements next, the chalk and sand are too yucky!!

Contact Bariatric Advantage and see about exchanging them for the berry flavor. At their prices they should be more than willing!