Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I am not sure if this is normal or not, but I knew that all you smart people who have "been there" would know!!

I started pureed food today....well, kinda last night!! LOL I made some chicken salad. Just canned chicken and lite mayo and put it in the magic bullet. It is real creamy and smooth. Tastes like chicken salad and makes me happy!! Last night, I ate about less than a 1/4 of a cup and felt good. 3 hours later, I went to bed and felt like a ball was stuck in my throat. At first, I thought it was my acid refulx starting to flare up, but it wasn't acid, it was like that food was stuck in my thoat.

Now, just let me say, I ate less than 1/4 of a cup of chicken salad in 20 minutes, so it was NOT fat eating at all!! I was NOT nauseated or anything, just a big lump in my thoat. When I sat up, I was fine. I had to go sleep in the recliner for a few hours, then woke up about 3 hours later and went to bed and was o.k.!!

Now, this morning, I am eating the same thing again, just took about 3 bites and feel the same thing. Is this NORMAL?? Is it just because it is thicker than I am use to? After a few minutes, it goes away when I am sitting up, but I don't want to keep putting it in there if the lump is something serious!!! I wonder if this is what my restriction feels like? I thought it was the tightness I feel in my chest!

Help!

Kelly :(

Girl, I am sorry, I wish I had the answer for you, but I havent been able to start the "mushie" foods yet, but would like to know if this is what restriction feels like, because in all honesty, I really dont know - I tend to error on the side of caution when it comes to what I take in, because I really dont know when I am full, because quite honestly, I am NEVER hungry!!

I will keep watch of this thread to see what kind of responses you get, just so when I get the mushy stage, I will have some extra knowledge.

Congrats to you though on how well you are doing, seems you are progressing nicely! :)

Hey Kelly:

Sounds like you're experiencing the same thing I did when I started mushies. You might want to go to an "in between" stage, where you eat the mushie-type food, but much more liquid than normal. For instance, chicken salad zapped in the bullet, just add a tiny bit of Water to thin it out a little bit more. Be sure you're taking TINY bites--I know you said you weren't rushing, but for me, the size of the bites and the time I spend chewing definitely matter in how easily the food goes down (and stays down, hopefully!).

Also, try not to eat right before lying down--give your food time to get into the transport process before you go to bed. At least you have a bit more variety in food now!

Meg

I started on pureed food last week and let me tell you, I've had no problems until today, when I tried chicken. I've been eating refried Beans, ricotta bake, blended enchilladas (w/out tortillas) and then today, I ate pureed chicken with ceasar dressing and parm cheese and it just didnt go down right. I think it's the chicken, cuz I blended it very fine and it just didnt work.

I would definately start off by doing something simple like refried Beans w/cheese, ricotta cheese bake (see recipe http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/pureed-foods.html)

I've heard that chicken is pretty hard for us beginners.

Yeah, maybe i will do something differnet tonight!

I read that chicken was weird too! It is really like baby food consistancy tho. I don't get it! Oh well. I will just do something else. At least it didn't come back up. That makes me happy.

I seriously didn't take big bites at all. They were small and I even waited like 3-4 minutes between each bite. It took me 20 minutes to eat less than 1/4 c. Also, I ate at 5:30 and went to bed at 9:00, I thought that would be enough time to settle.

Man, I have so much to learn! HO HUM!!

Kelly :(

Yup, I experienced exactly the same thing when I moved to mushies, then again when I moved to soft solids and then full solids. It's like its too big for your swollen sleevie and it hurts. Feels just like stuck food. I found a **little** sip of Water sometimes helped push it down as well as burping. I would have to belch huge just to get it to move. It sucked. I still have it if I have taken a bit too big of a bite or not chewed it to mush. It's like feeding a baby :)

So on that ricotta bake, i think i will make that tonight, do i have to puree it, or can i just eat it like it is?

appears as if it might alread be pureed? NO? I thought I had this all together and I guess I was wrong!

Thanks guys!!

Kelly :)

I started on pureed food last week and let me tell you, I've had no problems until today, when I tried chicken. I've been eating refried Beans, ricotta bake, blended enchilladas (w/out tortillas) and then today, I ate pureed chicken with ceasar dressing and parm cheese and it just didnt go down right. I think it's the chicken, cuz I blended it very fine and it just didnt work.

I would definately start off by doing something simple like refried Beans w/cheese, ricotta cheese bake (see recipe http://theworldaccor...reed-foods.html)

I've heard that chicken is pretty hard for us beginners.

I have the same feeling when I eat one bite too much. Feels like the food just sits there at the base of your throat like a lump. Takes about an hour for everything to feel right again.

I made the ricotta bake and it was delish. I ate it as is. As a matter of fact I made it for dinner for the family, and made sausages for hubby and son to have with it. Of course they had bread with it too lol.

Thursday I start on soft foods. My doc says the meats are not on the mushie stage and I have been having refried Beans with cheese and a little guacamole and sour cream on the side, mashed potatoes with some ff chicken gravey, oatmeal sometimes. Stuff like that.

Hope you feel better.

Hi Kelly.

So sorry you had issues with the chicken salad. Maybe try some egg salad with extra mayo. My tummy has handled the chicken and the egg so far. I haven't pushed it though, a 1/4 cup (or less) and I am done. I feel I could eat more, I just don't.

It's crazy how diff the diets are. My dr. would have a fit if I ate mashed potatos. He didn't even want me having creamed Soups because of the carbs.

I don't seem to feel sick or anything. It is just the feeling like it is stuck in my thoat or a lump is there or something. I have not been sick (thank goodness), I also gurgle like a kitchen sink draining from my thoat. It is soooooo annoying!

I think I will try the Ricotta bake tonight and maybe egg salad when that is gone. I just didn't think the chicken salad being so smushy would give me issues. I am bummed. I wonder if tuna will do the same?

I guess one day it will cease!

Kelly :o

Hi Kelly.

So sorry you had issues with the chicken salad. Maybe try some egg salad with extra mayo. My tummy has handled the chicken and the egg so far. I haven't pushed it though, a 1/4 cup (or less) and I am done. I feel I could eat more, I just don't.

It's crazy how diff the diets are. My dr. would have a fit if I ate mashed potatos. He didn't even want me having creamed Soups because of the carbs.

Girl be careful about egg salad- my particular diet plan allows scrambled and soft boiled eggs but cautions you to wait until 8th week to have hardboiled. I realize they are all different , our doctors, but I don't want you to regret it AFTER the fact!

Thanks for paving the way for Michelle and me :lol: After reading this I am not in as much of a hurry to have mushies as I was.

You sound great though! I am thrilled for you. I didn't gain today but remember I did last week.

Hey Meggie!!

Thanks for the warning!! Now I am afraid to eat my egg salad!! :huh: I am a so afraid of getting sick and undereat the way it is and take tiny bites of everything. I am nervous!! When my nut called me on Monday, she advised that egg salad was O.K, but not scrambled. I don't know.

Should I wait? I don't want to get sick.

I made and ate Eggface's Ricotta Bake last night. It was really good. If you get a chance, make it!! It is yummy. I only ate 1/4 c., but I really liked it. I brought more for my lunch today! Might have it now for b-fast, since I was going to have eggsalad!! LOL

I weighed this a.m. and lost another 2lbs!! YAY!! Must have been the ricotta bake!

Have a great day!

Hugs,

Kelly :D

Girl be careful about egg salad- my particular diet plan allows scrambles and sofr boiled eggs but cautions you to wait until 8th week to have hardboiled. I realize they are all different , our doctors, but I don't want you to regret it AFTER the fact!

Thanks for paving the way for Michelle and me :lol: After reading this I am not in as much of a hurry to have mushies as I was.

You sound great though! I am thrilled for you. I didn't gain today but remember I did last week.

Kelly -

as soon as I am able to have Mushies, I am going to try the ricotta bake, I love her website and plan on using her recipes and meal plans for myself -

I am still working on loosing the weight I gained this week - I have no idea why I gained, going to ask the Dr. today.

Just take it slow, take a tiny bite of eggsalad and see how it goes, if you feel like its not doing well for you, stop and eat something else and wait a few days or so then try it again.

Hey Meggie!!

Thanks for the warning!! Now I am afraid to eat my egg salad!! :huh: I am a so afraid of getting sick and undereat the way it is and take tiny bites of everything. I am nervous!! When my nut called me on Monday, she advised that egg salad was O.K, but not scrambled. I don't know.

I made and ate Eggface's Ricotta Bake last night. It was really good. If you get a chance, make it!! It is yummy. I only ate 1/4 c., but I really liked it. I brought more for my lunch today! Might have it now for b-fast, since I was going to have eggsalad!! LOL

I weighed this a.m. and lost another 2lbs!! YAY!! Must have been the ricotta bake!

Have a great day!

Hugs,

oh wow!! I am reading this and thinking mushy food? I have just started getting educated on the sleeve since my Dr suggested I have something else done since the I failed with the band-

thanks for sharing!!!

Hey Meggie!!

Have a great day!

Hugs,

You know- I haven't seen anyone else who was told this! They actually have me wait until EIGHT weeks for hardboiled eggs. However- I wonder if they mean chopped with mayo. I see my nutritionist on 6/9 and will straighten it out. Meanwhile I do get scrambled. It's crazy making!

By the way don;t know about you girls but I have burping and farting all the time. All the time. I burp whenever I dirnk anything, even a little. I guess it is good as it releases the air., but it is embarassing!