Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've searched and searched this 3 week stall thing, but I'm not getting the answers I need and desparately need the help of my pro sleevers please!!

I'm working on my 4th week of being sleeved. I'm on full liquids which include creamed Soups, yogurt, cottage cheese, cream of wheat, etc. Since last monday the scale has not moved at all!! I'm stuck and need some advice. (I dont weigh everyday. I weight about every other day or every 3 days.)

This week is the first time I've been able to actually get water/fluids/thick fluids down with ease! I've been struggling getting all my 64oz of Water in and my 80g of Protein a day. But yesterday was great and I was able to drink all my fluids and consume all my protein. Here is what I have scheduled for todays menu:

Morning: Bariatric Hot Chocolate- 15g protein, 80cal

BF: Zoi greek yogurt w/splenda- 11g protein, 100cal

Drink throught the day: Syntrax Nectar Cappachino- 20oz, 48g protein, 0cal

L: 6oz of cream of potatoe Soup blended- 2g protein, 120cal

S: Premier Protein shake- 30g protein, 160cal

D: blended cottage cheese w/seeded cucumber & tomatoe- 14g protein, 100cal

Plus about 3 16oz bottles of water throughout the day as well.

So, my question is... where am I going wrong? What can I do to help move the scales and my pants sizes along?? I'm getting discouraged and a bit frustrated! I'm following the plan to a "T" and I'm getting most of my essentials in. I just dont know what's wrong!! I understand that my body is still healing and I need to give it time, but I expected a little movement since the past 2 wks. At least something!!

Please HELP!!!! Where is TIFFYKINS or LILMISSDIVA??? :unsure:

Hi--

I'm not Tiffykins or LilMissDiva, but I am currently a little over 2 months ourt from surgery. The short answer is: you are not doing anything wrong.

The stall happens to almost everyone. It sucks. It usually last from week 3 to week 5, which is why it is commonly known as the 3-5 week stall. Sometimes just changing up the food will help to get things moving. I added a little oatmeal to my diet at that point for the extra Fiber. It helped to get things "moving" in the bowel which can help weight loss as well.

THe bottom line is that you are already eating a very restricted number of calories and you will lose weight. Youe body is going through an adjustment period after the surgery and initial weight loss. Make sure to concentrate on your hydration and maybe take a break from the scale until closer to the end of week 5. You are doing great!!! Good job sticking to docs guidelines - that in itself if a great achivement. You will see the scale move again, just let the process happen - this is perfectly normal for the 4th week post-sleeve.

Take care,

Lara

I'm not Tiffykins or LILMISSDIVA, but I am almost 16 months out.

YOU ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG! You have the answers, you are doing the right things, it's just a VERY FRUSTRATING time in your journey right now.

You are right - your body is healing. It's holding onto fluids and trying to figure out just what in the heck you did to yourself.

I know it's not easy, but just hang in there. Keep following your plan - you are so early in the process. Tricks and gimmics may help in the short-term, but you made this change for a long-time change. It's coming - I PROMISE!

You are doing awesome! Just keep at it & you will see the scales move again.

((((((((((((((((((((((((( H U G S ))))))))))))))))))))))))

Hey Stacy, sounds like the classic 3 weeks stall to me. Most of us will lose really well for the first and second week combined. Majority of the weight lost is Water however. From the 3rd week on, our bodies start adjusting to what we are feeding it (in this case, what we aren't). It also starts to hold on to everything we put in, including Water. It makes perfect sense that we stall out for a few weeks at this time.

You will probably just have to wait it out. You seem to be doing really well from what I've read. I'd only add maybe an extra 16 oz water bottle to your day to help start things flushing out again. Also, are you doing any type of physical activity? You're still fresh out of surgery so I wouldn't suggest anything demanding at all, but a light walking routine daily might help. Perhaps a few sessions of 15 minutes per day (you might tire easily this early out, I did!!!). Walking and now running are my #1 workouts because when I'm doing this and pushing myself, I'm losing!

You also have to keep positive as you can! Look at the glass half full... and I know everyone's heard this a million times. Weight loss is such a roller coaster ride, but just as we're taking care of our outside, we have to take care of the inside too. How much have you lost? Are you down any sizes yet? Try to find little gems to keep you on the bright side... I know personally it's not always easy. :)

Wishing you the very best! Hang in there. Your stall will pass!!!

thank you all.... I guess I dont really have a choice but to plug along and keep things moving. I will put the scale away and re-weigh myself on 31May and see what happens then.

Did all of you experience the stall too????

thank you all.... I guess I dont really have a choice but to plug along and keep things moving. I will put the scale away and re-weigh myself on 31May and see what happens then.

Did all of you experience the stall too????

Yes I did! It didn't last too long though, only a week but in comparison to others this was short lived. Most 3rd week stalls last 2-3 weeks. However now that I'm closer to goal I'm noticing I'm hitting more stalls and they are lasting longer.

Good idea on hiding the scale! :)

I didn't have a 3 week stall, but I did have a stall at around 7 weeks. Then the weight just started dropping off again. That's why it is a good idea to not weigh every day. I know it seems impossible (it does to me) but if you could only weigh every 2 weeks, you would have a great big loss and you would never even notice that little stall in there. In other words, even if you don't lose for a while, it WILL come off in the end, so it all evens out eventually.

It's nice to see those numbers go down, but when they don't, it sucks. So, weighing less often can only give you GOOD news! smile.gif

Hi there...this is not atypical at all. The stall you are referring to is due to an adjustment period the human body goes through after some constant weight-loss. Your regulatory centers that are constantly working to achieve a balance got a little 'thrown off' after the surgery and weight loss that came along with it.

The important thing to keep in mind is that you will continue to lose weight if you continue your regimen. I would advise that you pay close attention to your clothes...they are the best weight-loss indicator.

Stay strong and do not let this 'plateau' bother you. Soon you will be back on track.

I hope this helps,

Dr. JSA

I am 12days out and have only lost 2 lbs since surgery and that was after 3 days. Since then , that stupid scale won't budge. I am also listening to everybody here and tring to remember that this is apart of the process to lose the big weight. Not the fun part. But.....we are not hungry, and that awesome bc if we did not have our sleeve, we would be worse! We are all in this together.

I had the same thing happen and it sucks. I talked to my doctor who explained to me it is totally normal. He explained that the body may lose weight in one two week period then you may go another week or two with little to no weight loss. He said this is because the body is shifting Water weight inside you to adjust to the weight loss. He said the scale is also not very accurate about actual weight loss sometimes. He explained to just stay on the diet I was given, make sure I'm getting my Protein, and continue exercising. You aren't done losing weight. The body is simply adjusting to all the changes and will from time to time. Trust me you don't want to lose the weight super fast anyways or you'll lose chunks of hair and be weak.

I know for me, a male, that on a regular diet on the 4 week I gain or stall due to Water weight retention. I am 12 days out of surgery myself and I am mentally preparing myself for a stall. i just plan to try to be a bit more active that week and watch my sodium. This may not be the case for you, but I hope it helps...

You all made a valid point.... I havent been excersising at all. It's been so cold here that I havent even gotten the strength or the desire to head out for a walk after work. I'm so exhausted after going back to work that once I get home, I'm not motivated at all to go for a walk (weather and energy a total factor). I guess I really should start pushing myself to get up and take the kids and dog for a walk; at least around the block. I will start that this week!! I will also tell the hubby to hide the stupid scale until at lease next week, 5/25 (my 1 month surgiversary).

How long did it take all of you to break your stall??