Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a REALLY fussy eater, and I've run out of food Ideas

Ok, so in addition to my new 200ml stomach I also have BIG food issues, literally since I came off milk on to solids as a baby there are a LOT of textures I can't tolerate without vomiting, so the already tricky post op diet is significantly trickier!

Its easier to categories the things I can't eat which are basically;

Fish

Red meat

Turkey

Vegetables

Fruit

Pulses, Beans etc

Things I do eat have obviously been massively reduced since surgery because my old allies bread, rice and cous cous are just over filling empty carbs!

So I am starting to think that I stall a lot because I've gone into starvation mode because I can eat chicken, ham, eggs, cheese, and quorn but not an awful lot else.

A typical day for me is Protein Shake for Breakfast (If I manage breakfast which is probably only 50% of the time), Protein shake or some cooked meat such as ham for lunch, and something like some quorn mince, a chicken breast, or Soup for tea. I'm guessing from that I'm getting 400-600 calories a day?

I drink about 2 pints of Water a day and probably 4 cups of coffee on top of that.

I'm taking a Multivitamin, and supplements are green tea extract, policassinol, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and garlic extract (if anyone has read the 4 hour body you'll know thats the crazy routine which is supposed to help speed up someone's metabolic rate.

I have run out of inspiration, I am bored of the same couple of meals all the time, and I'm terrified that as with all other diets I have ever tried, without eating the stuff that I can't I'll hit an immovable brick wall and stay fat!

I'm sorry if this sounds negative, but I really would appreciate any advice/receipes/inspiration available out there.

Thanks

check out the website called: the world according to eggface

Its by a woman who had a bypass surgery, her recipes are awesome!

I too am a very picky eater and have been my whole life. I have found that my tastes have changed since surgery somewhat, not drastic but some! I say FORCE yourself to try other foods that you used to not eat. I also suggest that make sure you are taking your time and just continue with what you have. After I was on solids I did a Protein Shake for breakfast, eggs or tuna fish for lunch and some sort of meat for dinner. It's pretty basic but you make do!! Good Luck!!

give me an idea of the types of foods you used to eat and like prior to surgery? (not just ingredients, but actual meals or recipes? ) that might give us an idea or two.

Just a thought....

You might also want to go talk to an occupational therapist. You sound like you have Sensory Processing Disorder. I betcha there are other things in your enviroment that you avoid like the plague or some things have to be just right or they bug the heck out of you wink.gif I have two kids with SPD 1 with Aspergers and 1 with Autism but SPD can show up without Autism spectrum disorders. Just a body that has trouble navigating sights sounds tastes textures etc.

My six yr olds diet is similar to your list of foods to avoid. No solid meats (chicken nuggets and fish sticks are ok as are eggs if hes in the mood) his only fruits are applesauce and banannas no veggies. He lived an entire year on pb&js blink.gif only american cheese or melted shredded cheese, bread Pasta and cold Cereal are his life blood

Hi,

What about cheeses and yogurt? I eat a couple of servings of cheese with a hard cracker every day. Also, ham is quite salty - can you eat pork in other forms like a pork roast or pork chop? I also eat a lot of chicken, but I make it in a lot of different ways. I also eat one small serving of oatmeal every day for Fiber. I will have a little whole grain toast with an egg to change it up a little.

Good luck,

Lara

Just a thought....

You might also want to go talk to an occupational therapist. You sound like you have Sensory Processing Disorder. I betcha there are other things in your enviroment that you avoid like the plague or some things have to be just right or they bug the heck out of you wink.gif I have two kids with SPD 1 with Aspergers and 1 with Autism but SPD can show up without Autism spectrum disorders. Just a body that has trouble navigating sights sounds tastes textures etc.

My six yr olds diet is similar to your list of foods to avoid. No solid meats (chicken nuggets and fish sticks are ok as are eggs if hes in the mood) his only fruits are applesauce and banannas no veggies. He lived an entire year on pb&js blink.gif only american cheese or melted shredded cheese, bread Pasta and cold Cereal are his life blood

Oh wow, thats really interesting, there are certainly things I just cannot cope with, for instance the sound of shoelaces (I know how totally crazy that sounds, but if my shoes have laces they have to be tucked in or the sound they make tapping on the shoe every time I move my foot drives me nuts!!).

I'm really going to look into that, thank you so much - I would love not to have so many quirks! ;)

check out the website called: the world according to eggface

Its by a woman who had a bypass surgery, her recipes are awesome!

Thanks kids, I've looked through some, and she certainly seems to cook up a storm - I need to try and find some of the products she uses here in the uk too, especially to make those dreaded shakes more palatable.

give me an idea of the types of foods you used to eat and like prior to surgery? (not just ingredients, but actual meals or recipes?) that might give us an idea or two.

Thanks Griselda, pre surgery I largely ate a lot of rubbish, lots of Pasta (macaroni cheese, or carbonara, or chow mein noodles), lots of cous cous, easy foods, so potato and breaded chicken, or sausages and mash. I'd also have pudding most evenings, which is my idea of hell now (yay for the sleeve!!)

Hi,

What about cheeses and yogurt? I eat a couple of servings of cheese with a hard cracker every day. Also, ham is quite salty - can you eat pork in other forms like a pork roast or pork chop? I also eat a lot of chicken, but I make it in a lot of different ways. I also eat one small serving of oatmeal every day for Fiber. I will have a little whole grain toast with an egg to change it up a little.

Good luck,

Lara

Thanks Lara, I LOVE cheese, but I read somewhere that the carb levels in cheese can be deceptive, and so that and the fat content put me off a bit, although if people find they can eat cheese and still lose I'm adding that back immediately! I'm also going to explore the yoghurt thing more too.

Thanks!

OMG, Eggface's Protein shakes are awesome...definitely saving my butt! Best of luck, I feel awful for you.

I wish I could have a Protein shake..they kill me. I'm sick to death of the Protein Water and can't eat to well yet (possible stricture) so tolerating a shake would be great. This food thing...what to eat, how much...can I tolerate it?? IS EXHAUSTING!