Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Grrrrr frickin' fills

NOTE: THIS IS A COPY/PASTE FROM MY POST ON THE CANADA THREAD...thought I'd post it here as well so as to share my experience with "everyone" as opposed to just Canuck Land.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Okay, so as you know, my first fill was an absolute breeeeze. In/Out no problemo. No restriction...so went for a second fill a week later. That was a terrible experience for me. A different nurse was doing it; didn't know if that was the reason or not. So, she tried about 20 times (seriously) to "get it". Prick prick prick prick...over and over and over. NOT fun. OF course it eventually started to get quite painful. By then, the doc. had arrived and so he tried. It still took him 3 tries but he did get it (after he had me stand up for it).

Okay, so still no restriction....so 3 weeks later I went for my 3rd fill (which was yesterday). My husband took the day off work (as did I) to go to Toronto: it is a 2 hr drive (one way). I was happy because the nurse who did my first easy peasy fill was going to be doing it. So, I was confident.

Two hours later I was still there and she was still trying to get it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. It wasn't her.......she was doing others as they came in and they were in and out really quick. At least this nurse had a more gentle touch and despite trying about 30 times (yes, 30!) it wasn't as painful as the last time. Plus, she would just leave the needle "in" there most of the time and then try and move it around....rather than pull it completely out and try fresh each time. She was "on the port" with the needle....we could "hear" it tapping it and I could feel it inside (no pain)....but she couldn't actually get the needle in the hole. MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN talk about frustration. For her and of course, for me.

We both gave up after 2 hrs of trying on and off (it was starting to hurt). The docs weren't there this week, so I didn't have that option. So, we drove 4 hrs, (wasted gas and time and a day off for both of us) for NOTHING. No fill so therefore still no restriction.

I have an appt to go back next Thurs for the doc to give it a try. If he can't do it then I will have to wait for an appt. (I've heard up to a month!!!!) to go to the hospital and have it done under fluoro. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The nurse said that she thinks my port may have turned sideways....but if so, the doc can prob still get it. But let me tell you....of course now I'm a little (a lot) skittish to even have another go at it next week. But I don't have much of an option.

It was soooooo frustrating seeing others go in and out in 2 mins. So, of course I went through the "why me" syndrome and didn't have a good day or night yesterday. I have it in a better perspective this morning but I'm still very frustrated at the whole ordeal.

Tks for letting me vent. frickin' frickin' frickin......

Oh, on a gooood note...on the way home from TO we went to see SUPERMAN RETURNS in 3D at the IMAX theatre and it was AMMMMAAAAAZING on the Imax screen (as well as the few 3D scenes they had).

Off to work now!!!!

Ciao and have a great day!

Oh Yoda....that's terrible!!! PRAYING for better success next week....if you try it!!!! :grouphug:

God Bless,

MElody

Banded 3/20/06 -52lbs :)

Why didn't you ask for the nurse who got you last time to come in and see if she could get it? There is no way ANYONE should be stuck more than 3 times before another person gives it a try. It's a 2 stick policy where I work. I hope you have better luck next week.

Perhaps you should make an appointment with the hospital NOW, so that they can look for it under flouro and see what the deal is once and for all? If it's turned, they can get a picture of it so they know what way it's turned and what way they need to go after it, OR whether or not they need to fix it.

Lots and lots of people adopt a 3 sticks rule. I understand you trying so you didn't waste the trip, but I can't even imagine the bruise you have right now!!

*hugs*

It is probably better for you to have it done under fleuro anyways... They will be able to see how much restriction you get from the fill.

Sorry your day sucked so bad!

((hugs))

my husband had the same problem with his first fill. they tried the first time for 2hrs, the second time for 1hr and then sent him to the hospital. they finally got it there after about 1hr but he had to drink barium instead of Water. we went in this past tuesday for another fill and the dr had taken really good notes from doing it at the hospital so they were able to get it after about 5 min. he was a happy camper. but i know where you are coming from, i felt so sorry for him to go thru that. and what was even worse was that after trying the first time on him for 2hrs, she went to give me my fill and got it on the first try. hang in there, make sure she takes lots of notes at the hospital. keep us posted.

Tks for your comments everyone.

And...it WAS the first nurse (who got it easy peasy) who did it the first time who was doing it yesterday!!! Like I said, she got everyone else no problem so it is obviously something up with my port.

I'm feeling better about it all now and will keep my fingers crossed for next week and hopefully the saga won't continue!!!

It sounds like you had a horrible time. I hate needles and had a really bad 2nd (or 3rd) fill. I screamed it hurt so much, however I have a feeling it was because I get myself so worked up. Anyway, now I go an hour earlier than my appointment, they put heaps of EMLA gel on the port site, it needs an hour to work, so I go have a coffee and its like magic when they do the fill - I highly recommend it. You honestly do not feel anything.

Oh that is terrible! You poor thing!

I was thinking -- and this is kind of off the wall -- could you get your fill (hopefully a succesful one) then go and get the needle mark tatooed? You know, just a few little dots to mark the spot? Is that the part that they miss? Or do they stick you in the right place but can't connect with the port under the skin? Does my question make sense?

Like if you have pierced ears and you can get the earring in the hole but maybe you have to wiggle around once you're in there to get through the other hole? Is that what it is like? Or is it sthat they can't poke you in the right place?

Oh that is terrible! You poor thing!

I was thinking -- and this is kind of off the wall -- could you get your fill (hopefully a succesful one) then go and get the needle mark tatooed? You know, just a few little dots to mark the spot? Is that the part that they miss? Or do they stick you in the right place but can't connect with the port under the skin? Does my question make sense?

Like if you have pierced ears and you can get the earring in the hole but maybe you have to wiggle around once you're in there to get through the other hole? Is that what it is like? Or is it sthat they can't poke you in the right place?

Hiya...it's the second thing that is going on. They can poke me in the right place...we hear it "tap tap tapping" on the port and I can "feel it" hitting the port (hard to explain) but it isn't connecting with the hole!!! (like the earring analogy...good one!).

Really....don't get me wrong everyone....it wasn't that painful (I think I have a high pain threshold though) it was more frustrating and disappointing than actual painful. Yes, by the end there was a lot of discomfort and minor pain but not horrible pain.

The tatoo thing is a cool idea and the nurse even joked that if she did get it, she was going to draw a circle. But....realistically speaking, the port can move around a little bit....so it wouldn't help anyways!

I don't want to scare anyone or make them anxious if you haven't had a fill yet...just remember...this is NOT the normal case at all....it is like a "one off" so for those who haven't had a fill yet....don't fret!!!

Okay, so tomorrow I go to Toronto again for a second try at my 3rd fill.

Wish me luck. I'm trying to be optimistic. I called today to confirm that the doc WOULD be there. If he can't get it.....well....if he can't ...then grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I will be an unhappy and disappointed camper.

I'm a lil' anxious about it all ...in lieu of what happened last week....but here I go again!!!

*finger, toes and all other extremeties crossed*

Yoda--

Praying for the best for you!!!! I can't imagine!! They did my 2nd fill today... I live about 104 mi from the place and was on my way home and vomitted all over after a sip of Water....so back I went....I had made it 50miles....so was not thrilled w/ so much driving...he did the 2nd one under flouro....took out 0.1 cc....amazes me that little bit matters.....but it did seem good!!

Hoping everything works well for you tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -54lbs :grouphug: