Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 12. Am I thin yet?

One of the reasons losing a lot of weight is so hard is just physics. I'm not talking about some crazy pyrotechnical women's mag wizardry involving blueberries and antioxidants and almonds and green tea and krill oil. I'm just saying: when you over a hundred points overweight, your chnces of losing it are really small for a simple reason: In order to diet it off, you would have to be in a state of caloric deficit for a year or more. Since your body hates being in a caloric deficit and will figure out all kinds of diabolical ways to hipcheck the energy balance, I think at that point you're basically screwed.

I'm not saying it's impossible. But it's harder than anyone realizes and that is why the idea of a medical intervention is not so crazy or desperate anymore. It's *really* hard to lose 100 pounds without help, I am telling you this from experience.

I remember thinking a couple months ago, from my headquarters ( a queen sized Sealy posturepedic) that I wanted to be thin again and all but the road from headquarters to there was so, so, so very long.

I still feel that way. It's Day 12 and I want to be at the six month mark. I don't want to go through all this. I want to be done with this RIGHT NOW. Impatient isn't even the word, I have gone *existential* over this.

What I really can't wait for is three days from now I can stop packing that gauze on my drain incision. It's not that big a deal -- pre-sleevers attention -- IT IS NOT THAT BIG A DEAL AT ALL. I just means I can stumble in and out of the shower without having to be conscious, which is how I prefer things.

Anyway, today I went to NuVibe juice and Java and orderd a Power Vibe -- milk, chocolate flavor, banana, light yogurt and a double shot of whey Protein. It's AWESOME and it's going down fine.

I really feel happy all the sudden. Oddly.

I agree it is hard to lose 100lbs on your own. I did actually lose 140 lbs. on my own a few years ago but the maintenance of keeping it off is even harder- hence my gaining that all back. :( That is why this time around I knew I needed medical intervention to not only help me lose but also maintain.

I love that your headquarters is from your Sealy posturepedic bed. I slept on one last week during my sleep study- oh my how comfortable! I think I need one!:D

As mostly a lurk-only board member, for some reason I just had to reply to this, because it makes me want to cry. (Except the end bit, that smoothie thing sounds awesome.)

Throughout my years of epic yo-yo battling, one thing I've commonly heard when preparing to start over again with dieting after I've lost X-however many pounds and gained them back, is that because there's 100 excess pounds to lose and that's abnormal, that it should really just "fall off" with minimal effort. BITCH, PLEASE. There is just no way to make people understand the way your body can adjust, and CLING to, that extra weight.

In the last 12 months, I have lost and gained back 70 pounds (+10, of course). I was so, so sure it was going to be the last time. I still had about 50 pounds to lose, but I was swimming and doing a bunch of yoga and feeling great. And then - back it came, like a frickin' freight train. And I felt the same way you're describing now...like the road is just so long to finish this thing - to really be DONE with it, that I just can't bear it anymore. I was majorly depressed with no idea what to do until I started researching wls (which I'd previously refused to consider) and started learning about all the benefits and success people have had. My date is now set for May 27th.

Sometimes it just helps to see someone say that it IS legitimately something that requires medical intervention, that you really can't just do it all on your own. It's funny how you can tell yourself something a million times, but it's someone else stating it that makes you stop beating yourself up. Looking forward to further updates. wink.gif

Only 6 weeks out and still about 70lbs to go, I always think it should be faster. Like almost everyone I have lost and gained PLUS. This is honestly the first time that I don't go to bed making an eating plan for the next day. Not really a plan but planned not to eat anything "bad". Would wake up to tinkle and sometimes would cry myself back to sleep wishing, wondering and praying that something would help me.

So far the last 6 weeks have been pretty good. Tough first 30 days just adjusting but am amazed that 2 tablespoons of food actually keep me full and that I am not hungry at all.

Good Luck on your journey to being THIN!!!!!!!!!

As mostly a lurk-only board member, for some reason I just had to reply to this, because it makes me want to cry. (Except the end bit, that smoothie thing sounds awesome.)

Throughout my years of epic yo-yo battling, one thing I've commonly heard when preparing to start over again with dieting after I've lost X-however many pounds and gained them back, is that because there's 100 excess pounds to lose and that's abnormal, that it should really just "fall off" with minimal effort. BITCH, PLEASE. There is just no way to make people understand the way your body can adjust, and CLING to, that extra weight.

In the last 12 months, I have lost and gained back 70 pounds (+10, of course). I was so, so sure it was going to be the last time. I still had about 50 pounds to lose, but I was swimming and doing a bunch of yoga and feeling great. And then - back it came, like a frickin' freight train. And I felt the same way you're describing now...like the road is just so long to finish this thing - to really be DONE with it, that I just can't bear it anymore. I was majorly depressed with no idea what to do until I started researching wls (which I'd previously refused to consider) and started learning about all the benefits and success people have had. My date is now set for May 27th.

Sometimes it just helps to see someone say that it IS legitimately something that requires medical intervention, that you really can't just do it all on your own. It's funny how you can tell yourself something a million times, but it's someone else stating it that makes you stop beating yourself up. Looking forward to further updates. wink.gif

Click on her username and then look for more of her posts - you will really enjoy them! I for one look for her daiy post now as soon as I wake up.

This one really resonated for me- for one thing my headquarters, due to chronic pain, truly is my bed- a bed I, incidentally, won on the radio with a story about my Mom marching topless at the community college I was attending in support of women being allowed to be topless if men were...really.

And that feeling you are having deal Crosswind? I believe , along with happiness...that is called HOPE.

Oh, kiddo, I know how you feel. But the thing is, it doesn't even have to be that serious of an intervention with such severe societal overtones. . Like say a person has moles. Okay, you're covered with moles. You can live just fine looking like a hag but modern science has figured out how to *get rid of tthem*. I mean no one is coming up to with their lips pursed saying, well, did you *try* rubbing a hardboiled egg on them like I told you? Seriously. I'm a hundred pounds overweight. I've contributed *liberally* to the United States GNP via credit card to every infomercial in the known world. It's not abnormal to realize you need, and ask for, help with this. The really weird thing about it all is that so few people *get the help*. Instead of medical science, our great flagship of modern western society, working on this problem to our benefit we get like, Marie Osmond.

Come on!

I was thinking today about writing a blog entitled: " BCBS: Give these people their fuqing sleeves already. "

Click on her username and then look for more of her posts - you will really enjoy them! I for one look for her daiy post now as soon as I wake up.

This one really resonated for me- for one thing my headquarters, due to chronic pain, truly is my bed- a bed I, incidentally, won on the radio with a story about my Mom marching topless at the community college I was attending in support of women being allowed to be topless if men were...really.

And that feeling you are having deal Crosswind? I believe , along with happiness...that is called HOPE.

:). Meggie Meggie,you're such a doll, love that you won your bed on the radio. I've never won anything on the radio but it would be so cool if people got more stuff that way .Like say a husband or -- parents! These people really gave birth to you and raised you? Nah, won them on the radio...

Oh, kiddo, I know how you feel. But the thing is, it doesn't even have to be that serious of an intervention with such severe societal overtones. . Like say a person has moles. Okay, you're covered with moles. You can live just fine looking like a hag but modern science has figured out how to *get rid of tthem*. I mean no one is coming up to with their lips pursed saying, well, did you *try* rubbing a hardboiled egg on them like I told you? Seriously. I'm a hundred pounds overweight. I've contributed *liberally* to the United States GNP via credit card to every infomercial in the known world. It's not abnormal to realize you need, and ask for, help with this. The really weird thing about it all is that so few people *get the help*. Instead of medical science, our great flagship of modern western society, working on this problem to our benefit we get like, Marie Osmond.

Come on!

I was thinking today about writing a blog entitled: " BCBS: Give these people their fuqing sleeves already. "

Yeah, that's a good point. Sometimes I console myself with the thought that if they'd found a medical way to extract the addict gene or something, no one would be judging any of the alcoholics or junkies lining up to have it done! No one would tell them they just hadn't *tried* hard enough. Whatevs.

And ugh, Marie, Whoopi, Kirstie. I'm very hopeful that one of the greatest triumphs at the end of this whole mess will be the ability to change the damn channel when one of them gets on, instead of guiltily wondering if I should get my credit card out.

Ha, yeah, there are a few I like to follow around on the board in particular. However I think I'm probably more intrigued by your mom than anything going on here at the moment, wooohooo laugh.gif

:). Meggie Meggie,you're such a doll, love that you won your bed on the radio. I've never won anything on the radio but it would be so cool if people got more stuff that way .Like say a husband or -- parents! These people really gave birth to you and raised you? Nah, won them on the radio...

I wouldn't have even wanted to pay the tax on my parents...so I would give that prize back.

My husband, on the other hand.... in a sense I did win him as a prize- I placed the worlds best ad on Yahoo personals and boy did I pull out a plum! I will have to post that ad....

There was a typo in my last post- it should have said "dear crosswind" not deal crosswind. I swear I have some kind of add such that I proof read, everything looks good, and it SO is not...

Ha, yeah, there are a few I like to follow around on the board in particular. However I think I'm probably more intrigued by your mom than anything going on here at the moment, wooohooo laugh.gif

\

SO here's that story....

I was at Foothill Junior College in the early seventies, and my newly divorced Mom was there too. I wasn' exactly thrilled with that, being at the age when you are spreading your wings and finding your own identity, you don't exactly want your Mom there too.

My Mom had always seemed to specialize in embarrassing me - she would start conversations with strangers wherever we went while I cringed and wanted to slide down under the table...kinda sorta the way I am now (yipes!). It might have been partly because she didn't pay much attention to me, but that's another story.

Nothing about that kind of behavior prepared me for what I would encounter that day at college...as I came out of Creative writing class that day, coming towards me were a big group of women, marching about 10 women across , with a hundred or so behind them- 10 bare breasted women calling for bare upper body equality with men...and in the middle of them was my own mother. Try as I did, the ground refused to swallow me up....

And yep, the radio station which called for Mom stories for Mothers Day a few years back liked that story too and I won a brand new comfy expensive bed.

Wow, that is so true. I have never lost 100 lbs, but I was close! And just to think how much the body likes to regulate itself.... it seems nearly impossible to lose what we need to without help. I think I really need to read something like this today.