Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice needed - strange feeling in my throat

Hi Everyone I'm completely new here and I'm getting myself in a right pickle and getting worried :eek:

The problem is the constant feeling of something lodged in my lower throat almost like a chicken bone and i've been feeling it for over week. My nurse says its just the stomach swollen/grazed from the abuse but now I'm worrying about what damage I might have done to my band and myself.

I feel really really stupid but this is driving me crazy.

It all started last thursday (11 days ago) when in a moment of madness I recklessly decided to have some Pasta. According to my diet sheet it was allowed as long as I over-cooked it (no problem). BUT I had already eaten some mashed potato for my dinner. I done the stupid thing and overate!! eek.gif

I am was 3 weeks out of op, and after some real pain and sitting on the bathroom floor crying I was eventually sick and bought up about a spoonful of well chewed Pasta. frown.gif

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? It's hard to describe the feeling, its not really a major pain just a nagging, it's not even constant.

And of course the internet is as dangerous as it is informative because now I'm worried its slipped, eroded or been inhabited by aliens (well that may be a bit extreme - but you know how it is once you start reading stuff)

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated confused.gif

Please reassure me

I think hot liquids do seem to help a bit. I'm gonna try one now just to see.

Thanks for your almost instant reply, its the reassurance I was looking for.

You're a star

I am not banded yet, but have been reading this site for a year and a half and have heard similar stories the whole time. I hope that it helps you and the lump feels like it is going away.

I've had what sounds very similar to your "chicken bone." I was over filled and threw up for 24 hours! It sounds as if you just have some swelling that needs to go down. Any time that you PB it irritates that area, according to my doc, and needs time to get over it. Also, when you throw up it can cause the band to tighten, also according to my doc. Go to liquids, get lots of fluids, and don't be so hard on yourself--most of us have done it at one time or another! Best of luck to you! Terri

I've had that feeling!! I had eaten some chicken & had lots of pain. After an hour of pacing & sweating, I finally threw it up. For 3 days I felt like something was lodged in my throat. It was very annoying. From what I've learned, it was my swollen stomach I was feeling. When it swells, it makes the band kinda sqeeze your insides & it hurts - kinda like something is sticking you. It eventually went down.

I would stay on liquids & drink lots of WARM liquids. If you truly have the same problem as I did, it should go away.

Good luck! It's not a fun feeling at all!!!

I am new to this chat room thing but not new to reflux and band abuse. I find that when all else fails, hot tea or broth does go down. Got Fluid reduced yesterday b/c I couldn't even keep down that. Band abuse tightens the belt and acid comes up...feels terrible. Don't get dehydrated! I was forced to suck on a wet towel until I got to the Dr. .3CCs down later and I am just fine. Very scared to go near anything other than tea though. Fortunately I have enough of me to live off of for a few years!

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

It seems to have worked.

I had an appointment with my nutritionist and she agreed warm liquids and sipping. And to stop it happening again I've got to slow down. Other than that she says I'm going great and has refused to do my first fill yet, she says I don't need it yet I'm doing so well without it. So I'm absolutely thrilled! :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

The phrase that pays is definately "Sip like a gerbil gnaw like a rabbit!" :)

Wendy xx

Don't get dehydrated! I was forced to suck on a wet towel until I got to the Dr. .3CCs down later and I am just fine. Very scared to go near anything other than tea though.

How very true... The nutritionist told me I had to drink a lot more.

Glad to hear you're feeling better now. Good luck

"Sip like a gerbil-Gnaw like a rabbit" You crack me up! Plus you named your band Sybil?....you are too funny! Glad you are feeling better, it is definitely an ongoing learning experience!

Not only does Sybil have a name, but also a personality.

She's not really a morning person and isn't keen on breakfasts and currently has no interest in Pasta regardless of what you serve it with.

But no matter what her mood I wouldn't be without her. :biggrin1:

My friend Sam's band we've named MC Hammer cos everytime she tries to eat naughties we can almost hear it singing... "Can't touch this!"

I'm sure we're not the only ones who've named them :)

Cute. :) Glad to hear you're doing better.

Early on, I had the exact same sensation you described above. I never knew what it was, but I know you're not describing just 'food' hanging out in the pouch. It was a definite sensation of something 'foreign' in the gullet, much more rigid than any chewed up food. If it helps, I've never had it again. :girl_hug: Good luck!

I have never thought of giving my band a name before but it's not a bad idea. I think that Betty Band may work. What do you think? She has been stretched to her limits and has recoiled mercelessly these past 3 years. I tried to eat some barley Soup tonight. Had 2 tsps. and got a violent stomach ache. Sometimes you just can't win. At least I have plenty left to live off of before I wither away. By the way, as I am a newbie, how do I get one of those horizontal doohickys that you guys have on my computer? It looks like fun.:clap2: