Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 4 weeks since surgery

Hello all! My name is Deb. I had VSG on March 7th 2011. I was so excited that I lost 10lb prior to surgery on the preop diet. I was even more excited when at 3 weeks post op I had lost 15 more lbs!! For the past week I have been stuck on 200lbs! I know I shouldnt weigh daily, but I have to admit I am a slave to the scale. I really dont mind this, as long as I saw a lb or two of loss! I have tried to not be counting calories, just eating like Im supposed to; I am pretty savvy to all this and I know I am averaging probably 500-600'ish calories per day! my gut tells me that this is probably NOT ENOUGH and my body is reacting to this, despite the fact that I am doing well to get close to or more than 60g Protein daily. i take my Vitamins, Calcium + D and B12. I have NOT been excercising every day but I know that I need to so I started back yesterday. Its real hard for me with drinking Water.......I am just not a Fluid person.......but I do try hard to get at LEAST 32oz plain Water daily! I also sip green tea, eat sugar free popsicles...........BUT..........I am not terribly hungry! I cant see how to get 1000 cal/day only having "breakfast-lunch-supper" as my doc prescribes! I have always heard and seem to believe the every 3hr pattern is good for metabolism, and I could see it easier to get more healthy calories.

I read earlier that this is a common phenomenon to have this 3 week stall. Gosh, I hope so. I have such high hopes for success for this and I am truley committed. Also, my doctor told me that removing the grehlin producing portion of my stomach would keep me from "feeling" hungry but sometimes I do!! Of course it is NOTHING like before surgery, and I tolerate it much much better; a few sips of water, green tea or even a SF popsicle usually helps.

My body still has the same desire to have a eating pattern of "naw not hungry early" and "ravenous after five"! I had hoped this would not be so. I dont know what to do to combat this.

Thanks for listening everyone and I hope to have great feedback!

Hi there!

I also had my surgery on 3/7 and, guess what? I've lost 15 pounds! I don't think this is unusual or slow. I try to only weigh once every other week. I don't want to get discouraged by the stall that is supposed to be happening right now.

I also have the weird "must eat" compulsion around 5 o clock. I am just now at the point where I can eat a little over 600 calories. But I am only able to accomplish it by eating 6 times per day. 2 ounces of anything equals about 100 cals for me so I have to do it often. My medical direction is to eat between 600-800 cals per day during weight loss, so that has been my goal. I don't know how I would get in any more without adding the "bad" stuff.

I don't know how much you have to lose, but the lower BLI you start at, the slower it will come off.

Hang in ther and give your scale a break for 10 days :-) I had my partner hide the scale in the garage so I am not tempted.

Lara

Gosh! Great advice! Thanks. Ya my starting bmi was 40(before i lost the 10lb before surgery) so at surgery I only weighed 215 and my bmi was 38. I have been stuck at 200lb since the 27th. my block is 1/2 mile. I walked it twice yesterday. I did realize last night, that "mother nature" is only about 10 days away....and boy can I tell it! I tend to PMS; I am already feeling that "I wanna eat I wanna eat I wanna eat" feeling, even though I am not hungry. I am trying to stay busy, and when I just feel like I HAVE to put something in my mouth, of course make it good for me, a small amount and keep drinking hot green tea or Water. My husband is far away right now in Arlington VA (Im in texas) We talk several times per day with facetime on the Ipod so that helps. He is so encouraging and tells me I am just fine. I guess I had some unrealistic expectations since that first 15lbs came of SO fast! Well, I am going to go and get ready to take a walk......thanks again for responding!

Hi there!

I also had my surgery on 3/7 and, guess what? I've lost 15 pounds! I don't think this is unusual or slow. I try to only weigh once every other week. I don't want to get discouraged by the stall that is supposed to be happening right now.

I also have the weird "must eat" compulsion around 5 o clock. I am just now at the point where I can eat a little over 600 calories. But I am only able to accomplish it by eating 6 times per day. 2 ounces of anything equals about 100 cals for me so I have to do it often. My medical direction is to eat between 600-800 cals per day during weight loss, so that has been my goal. I don't know how I would get in any more without adding the "bad" stuff.

I don't know how much you have to lose, but the lower BLI you start at, the slower it will come off.

Hang in ther and give your scale a break for 10 days :-) I had my partner hide the scale in the garage so I am not tempted.

Lara

I was sleeved on Feb 28 (just a week or so before you) and i've only lost a total of 25 lbs which includes a pre-op one week diet. Here is what has happened to me..... I feel your pain

Pre-op week lost 7 lbs

1 week post op 6 lbs

2 week post op 3 lbs

3 week post op 0 lbs (also had my period)

4 week post op 6 lbs

5 week post op 2 lbs

beginnin week 6 started today and my period has come again, very early so i've had 2 periods in one month . (NOT NICE MOTHER NATURE):P

I'm also in Texas (Fort Worth)

I swim on the weekends so I had hours of swimming yesterday and Sat. but other than that i'm not a walker/runner. I like riding my bike but it has been too darn windy.... like crazy windy

You are only 4 weeks out, 800 calories seems like a lot to try to get in. I remember meeting with my dietitian at 4 weeks out and her telling me that in another month or so I should be eating 1200 calories. I didn't think I would ever get there. I am a newbie to the forum but am 10 months post-op and under my Dr's goal. For me stalls came for 2 reasons, not enough Protein or not enough exercise. OK, there was a third over holidays called Christmas Cookies but I wont go there. I stalled at 4 or 5 weeks for a couple of weeks then rebounded and lost 30-40 more in the next 2 months. after that, things slowed down but my bmi was shrinking and I was getting closer to goal. It is all relevant so don't put too much pressure on yourself. Follow the plan, get your 64 oz of Water and 60g of protein, you will succeed. Walk every day if you can, if you can't , walk as often as you can. And most of all take it easy on yourself!

You are only 4 weeks out, 800 calories seems like a lot to try to get in. I remember meeting with my dietitian at 4 weeks out and her telling me that in another month or so I should be eating 1200 calories. I didn't think I would ever get there. I am a newbie to the forum but am 10 months post-op and under my Dr's goal. For me stalls came for 2 reasons, not enough Protein or not enough exercise. OK, there was a third over holidays called Christmas Cookies but I wont go there. I stalled at 4 or 5 weeks for a couple of weeks then rebounded and lost 30-40 more in the next 2 months. after that, things slowed down but my bmi was shrinking and I was getting closer to goal. It is all relevant so don't put too much pressure on yourself. Follow the plan, get your 64 oz of Water and 60g of Protein, you will succeed. Walk every day if you can, if you can't , walk as often as you can. And most of all take it easy on yourself!

That 64 oz Water is a BIOTCH! i almost cant do it! i know i only probably get maybe 40 of water plus 8 oz skim milk in the am! the protein is going very well. i drink a shake every am to start and get 38g in then the rest with my lunch, dinner. i am determined to walker every day and even bought a shake weight to work on my batwings! haha! Thank you all for the comments! I feel the love through the pages!!!

One thing I forgot, keep an eye on your urine color, as long as it isn't dark, you should be OK as far as Fluid intake(if everything is working OK). Concentrated urine is s a sure sigh you are dehydrating and need to up your fluids. This is just a rule of thumb and there are other factors and I am not a medical professional.

One thing I forgot, keep an eye on your urine color, as long as it isn't dark, you should be OK as far as Fluid intake(if everything is working OK). Concentrated urine is s a sure sigh you are dehydrating and need to up your fluids. This is just a rule of thumb and there are other factors and I am not a medical professional.

Thanks.......ya I am a registered nurse, so thankfully there is alot about this process Im okay with. but then........Im not a nutritionist and although I "thought" I knew alot.......well boy have I learned a few things as of late!