Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

~*~How about Austin, Texas?~*~

July5forMe~

How did it go girl? Tell! Tell! Tell!!!!!

Are you in pain? Were you scared? How are you feeling?

I was thinking about you and I am glad to see you are doing well!

Moon

hey moon goddess.

It went pretty well. I was really nervous and scared that whole day. I've never had surgery before so i was just worrying and worrying about what might go wrong.

Once they put you out its like no time passes and all of a sudden you are being woken up. That was odd. before i knew it i was banded and waking up in recovery.

the pain right after waking up wasn't really bad. Its just a matter of getting all of your thoughts together and realizing what you just did. After that the nurses will give you pain meds if you need it and that stuff worked very quickly for me.

I'm feeling pretty good today. I woke up this morning and i could tell that some of the swelling had already gone down.

I'm just concentrating on drinking Water. I've had a few popsicles but other than that just water.

I can't believe i thought that the whole thing was going to be so painful and hard for me to handle. Its alot easier than i could of imagined it being.

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on my insurance company to "bless" the procedure with their agreement to pay. I hope to find out something shortly. Did you choose Dr. Marquez based on a friend's recommendation, after attending her WLS presentation, or was she assigned to you by someone in the surgeon group?

Randi~

I found out today that I am going to have Dr. Marquez too!! What is the date for your surgery?

Randi~

I know that waiting on the insurance is annoying! I have to get a statement from my doctor saying that they are aware of my attempts to lose weight and that it failed basically, and since I have only been to the doctor I have here for about 4 months, and this has to state that they have been aware of it for over 6 months, I probably have to go to my doctors that I had in Dallas before I moved here to get the whole thing done. Besides that, everything should be okay with the approval.

I was assigned Dr. Marquez by my Patient Advocate. My impression is that this Doctor is trying to get more bands under her belt (is that a pun?), so they are assigning more to her so that she can get the experience. I really don't have a problem with that though. She looks very qualified! Have you met with her yet?

Yes, I formally met with Dr. Marquez in May. However, I chose her as my surgeon based on a seminar I attended in San Marcos. She struck me as knowledgeable, professional and caring. She has only done about 50 or so lapbands, but the most experienced lapband surgeon in the group has only done about twice that many. I guess they've been predominately a gastric bypass practice.

Randi~

I know that waiting on the insurance is annoying! I have to get a statement from my doctor saying that they are aware of my attempts to lose weight and that it failed basically, and since I have only been to the doctor I have here for about 4 months, and this has to state that they have been aware of it for over 6 months, I probably have to go to my doctors that I had in Dallas before I moved here to get the whole thing done. Besides that, everything should be okay with the approval.

I was assigned Dr. Marquez by my Patient Advocate. My impression is that this Doctor is trying to get more bands under her belt (is that a pun?), so they are assigning more to her so that she can get the experience. I really don't have a problem with that though. She looks very qualified! Have you met with her yet?

As far as I'm aware, he's new to the San Antonio area, but I believe he used to practice in Austin. Go to http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgeon+reviews+Nilesh+Patel+pbf.html to see what his patients had to say about him. I believe when I read up on him before, the reviews were favorable. However, based on his stats, he hasn't performed any lapband surgeries, you may want to verify this with his office if that detail is important to you.

Oh, here's a link to take you directly to the patient reviews:

hi im sabrina ive got an appt. in san antonio with dr. patel ?? any info or fed back

I have not heard about southwest bariactric, but I work for the Turning Point Sugery Center in San Antonio and we also have great docs working for us. We occassionally go to Austin for seminars. Just wanted to let you know if you wanted more information about another center. I have it for you.

The seminar that I went to today was for http://www.southwestbariatric.com/

Does anyone have any info about them? I liked what I heard and am starting the process with them.

i'll be having my surgery with dr. sherrod from southwest bariatrics. he seems very nice and i've found that he really listens to what you have to say rather than giving you canned answers.

i've got a very high bmi so i've had to have quite a few pre-op tests (sleep study, ekg, echochardiogram, exercise, nutrition, and blood work) so i've been just sort of plugging away getting things done. i just finished the last of them on friday, so i'm just waiting for the results to make it to dr. sherrod so i can schedule my very last pre-op appt. with him and schedule this dang thing!