Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all May Sleevers!

Yes Lynda, we will have to keep up with our healing, successes, progress. I start my liquid diet this Sunday. How about you?

Holly

I'm still on the 1200 calorie a day diet Kaiser Fremont recommends. I don't think Kaiser has people do a liquid diet before surgery, but I'll know more after the pre-op appt Friday afternoon. Have you started getting your hospital stuff and food for after surgery yet? I bought a new pair of slippers :-) and all the non-perishable items. I'm going to get a costco roasted chicken and make chicken broth. I'm planning to freeze the broth in ice cube trays. Two cubes should be about 4 ounces. Thanks for adding me as a friend. I haven't figured out how to manage friends yet, but I will add you too as soon as I can.

Lynda

I'm still on the 1200 calorie a day diet Kaiser Fremont recommends. I don't think Kaiser has people do a liquid diet before surgery, but I'll know more after the pre-op appt Friday afternoon. Have you started getting your hospital stuff and food for after surgery yet? I bought a new pair of slippers :-) and all the non-perishable items. I'm going to get a costco roasted chicken and make chicken broth. I'm planning to freeze the broth in ice cube trays. Two cubes should be about 4 ounces. Thanks for adding me as a friend. I haven't figured out how to manage friends yet, but I will add you too as soon as I can.

Lynda

Wow Lynda, you are organized! I have bought some broths, but I bet fresh broth is much better. Can you tell me how to do that (lol not so good in the kitchen). How long do I boil the thing? The ice cube tray is a great idea! I'm buying my slippers / robe today. I've been stocking up on Protein drinks and low fat cream Soups since January so I feel like I'm getting somewhere.

Haha. Planning helps me feel less fearful about the operation and recovery process.

For the broth,

1 roasted deli chicken, about 5 lbs., cut into large pieces

2 medium white onions, peeled and cut into eigths

1 1/2 cups celery, chopped into 2 inch lenths

1 cup baby carrots

5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed with the side of a knife

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 teaspoons ground sage

1 teaspoon ground rosemary or 1 tablespoon whole rosemary

1 teaspoon dried parsley

2 gallons Water

Put the oil in the bottom of a big stock pot and heat over med-high heat. Add the garlic and stir just till you can smell the garlic cooking. Add the chopped veggies and cook for about 5 minutes to brown the veggies a bit. Add the deli chicken, spices and Water. Turn to high and bring to a boil. Skim off foamy stuff. Turn heat to low (it should just bubble not boil like crazy) and cook 3-4 hours. Add water if it's boiling down to fast and turn down the heat. After it's reached a yummy brothy stage, let it cool and dip out all the large chunks. Then strain it to remove the smaller stuff. A colander works great. Finally, strain it through the wire strainer you will use for cream Soups to be sure there are no food bits. Put in fridge and let cool completely. The fat will be at the top. Remove it. Your broth is ready for use or freezing now. It's not complicated, but it does require several hours. The messiest part is the straining at the end. I work in the kitchen sink so it's easy to clean up.

I'm making the broth today and have my pre-op appt. late this afternoon.

Lynda

Hi Katie,

Your surgery is two days after mine. Do you have a pre-op appt? My pre-op is this afternoon.

Lynda

My Pre- op is the 18th of May.

Hi Katie,

Your surgery is two days after mine. Do you have a pre-op appt? My pre-op is this afternoon.

Lynda

Woo-hoo! Yay for May sleevers :) I am getting sleeved on May 16th with Dr. Suh in Murrieta, CA. Can't wait! It has been a long road, but so worth it!!

Sandy

Surgery Date: May 23rd at SW General, San Antonio, Texas with Dr. Nilesh Patel.

Hi I'm scheduled for May 26th. I haven't got a time yet and probaly won't until I go for my pre-op and dietician visit the day before. I was scheduled to go for pre-op on 5/4/11 but as I stepped out of my car to go to the DR office he canceled. Hope its not some sort of omen that I shouldn't proceed. I have a busy schedule right up to the surgery date so I hope I won't have time to really think about what I am doing. I thought about it enought and there is no turning back now.

Hi I'm scheduled for May 26th. I haven't got a time yet and probaly won't until I go for my pre-op and dietician visit the day before. I was scheduled to go for pre-op on 5/4/11 but as I stepped out of my car to go to the DR office he canceled. Hope its not some sort of omen that I shouldn't proceed. I have a busy schedule right up to the surgery date so I hope I won't have time to really think about what I am doing. I thought about it enought and there is no turning back now. I will have my surgery at Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans, LA. Dr is James Wooldridge.

Hello,

Just wanted to say good luck to you by now you have been sleeved hope you are doing okay! I was sleeved on Tuesday May 3, at Overlake Hospital in Bellevue and I am doing good............having a little trouble getting all the Protein and fluids they want you to have....but other than that I am doing great! Best of luck to you!

Good Morning Everybody!

I found this forum and now I'm even more excited.. 2 days ago i got my approval letter!!! and within 20 mins of hearing the news i was scheduled. May 5th!!! 19 days and counting!! I cant wait. Excited, scared, nervous, all of it.

So Dr. Peter Billing with puget sound surgical center in Edmonds, WA

Thanks Lynda for the recipe! When you say "deli chicken" are you talking about one of those rotisserie chickens?

Yes, I like the one at costco. I've got my broth in the ice cube tray now! 2 ice cubes is approximately 1/4 cup.

Lynda

The pre-op diet is hard today! 12 days till surgery day and today is the first day I've felt deprived with my full liquid diet. I think it's because it's the weekend and this is typically when my hubby and I go out to eat. I'm also getting bored of Soup and sweet shakes. I just keep telling myself, this too shall pass.