Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone here ever tried calorie cycling?

Another post about calorie confusion reminded me about cycling. Has anyone ever tried this?

It's supposed to help avoid plateaus and preserve muscle and 'trick' your metabolism so your body isn't entering homeostasis. You work with a weekly calorie count instead of daily and cycle the days up and down eating more calories on days when you have more intense workouts.

Here is an easy read that explains it in more detail. http://www.answerfitness.com/316/zig-zag-dieting-fitness-nerd/

We are already learning Portion Control and keeping track of calories and measuring so I think that it would be easier for us than for someone who's just on a diet.

This would be much easier when you're a few months post op and getting in more calories but let's see now.... I'm just doing this off the top of my head but if we're told that 800 is the max daily caloric intake in the first few months and that is 5600 calories for 7 days.

Here is an example based on the example of the Fitness Nerd:

M 750

T 600

W 1100

TH 750

F 600

Sa 1100

Su 700

This doesn't seem too drastic, does it? Some might think it's too difficult to get in 1100 calories but I'm sure there must be some high quality high calorie foods that you wouldn't mind eating twice a week.

Please, tell me what you think?

You know, I have heard of this -- but to be frank, it's enough for me to remember to eat all my Protein -- I think I do a little of this unconsciously, but to do it consciously might be too much for my little brain! :lol:

Yeah, I suppose it's a bit obsessive.... lol

BUT, if you're stuck in a stall this might be the way to get out a lot faster....(?)

You know, I have heard of this -- but to be frank, it's enough for me to remember to eat all my Protein -- I think I do a little of this unconsciously, but to do it consciously might be too much for my little brain! :lol:

Yeah, I suppose it's a bit obsessive.... lol

BUT, if you're stuck in a stall this might be the way to get out a lot faster....(?)

Oh totally!!! I would totally try it out -- can't hurt, can it?? ;)

I agree, too much work! There's also that bizarre intermittent fasting program where you skip meals (or entire days). I lurk on this bodybuilding message board on occasion and there's a ton of people who end up with full-blown eating disorders a few months after embarking on these programs - it's like an anorexia springboard.They get you obsessing about every calorie, today you are following a plan, then tomorrow you are running a mile because you "overate" by a raisin.

Same here, to complicated and WAY too obsessive. I have a sleeve to not have to obsess about food like that anymore. I firmly believe if you stay within your calories, you'll break a stall. And I believe a lot of people who stay stalled are victim of hidden calories or sloppy counting (I am guilty of that with flavored Coffeemate).

I honestly believe it can hurt, maybe not on the scale but definitely your sanity.

The other thing is, if you eat normal, your calories will automatically cycle just because of the nature of food, sometimes I have 800, sometimes 900 and on other days 1000 or 1100 calories. In addition it cycles for me due to the difference in exercise or general activities during a day. On some days I most likely burn an extra 100 calories because I cleaned the house or had tu run around at work a lot, which remains uncounted.

600 calories is not even remotely enough on a regular base unless you are in the first couple of months. Hell, people are questioning whether 1200 calories are enough - no one should STRIVE to eat (anorexic) 600 calories...I mean, EVER :omg_smile:

Though I do not obsessively count calories, unless I'm stalled for more than 3 weeks or more I can guage how many calories I'm consuming per day. On days that I workout, I do add for sure one and sometimes 2 extra Protein shakes to bump up my Protein and calories. Other than that, my typical eating day is Breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack. The end.

Thank goodness I have only encountered one lenghty stall post op and I did have to seriously go over my eating routine for a few weeks and I got things back in order. I have not needed to do this again since. There is a big learning curve with this here sleeve and I needed to learn a few things. I usually end up getting anywhere from 800 calories on non-workout days and up to even 1400 calories on days that I do... depending on what I do. I do not feel any type of guilt over this what so ever. I'm losing quite well and I'm very happy with my progress.

That said, my workouts - now that's another story all together! I can be very obsessive about those!! :lol: Can't stop, won't stop!!!

That said, my workouts - now that's another story all together! I can be very obsessive about those!! :lol: Can't stop, won't stop!!!

Love that Diva, I'm working out 3-4 times a week now, no excuses anymore! How many times a week do you work out?? ! am aiming for at least 5 times a week from next week :P

Love that Diva, I'm working out 3-4 times a week now, no excuses anymore! How many times a week do you work out?? ! am aiming for at least 5 times a week from next week :P

I workout minimum 5 days per week. Sometimes I'll sneak in a little extra for 6 days of workouts. Never 7 though, I have to let my body rest or I'll gain weight. Yes, its true! I gain weight if I workout too much. So, then sometimes I need to take 2 days off in a row, then I notice my eating habits start getting bad. It's crazy - but either way I get back on track quickly.

The "exercise guy" at my surgeon said to aim for 7 days because you can almost never do that because of other commitments :-)

I guess this year I have maybe NOT worked out on 10 days, so that works for me....and should I ever get to the 7 day week, I can sit down on the 7th day, go "na na nana na" and stick my tongue out at the treadmill :P

I am obsessive about my workouts too. I walk 5 miles a day five days a week. I have found that if I try for 7 days a week I develop injuries.

Ok, I wouldn't exactly call what I did over the weekend calorie cycling, but it was calorie something!!! Let's see, I didn't really watch or monitor my eating in any way at all, if it was there an i wanted it, i ate it! Went to a basketball game, had a soft pretzel, got served Breakfast in bed, ate all of it french toast included, went to a birthday party, had pizza and cake, had pork roll egg and cheese on a hard roll (only had half). Get the picture! My 2 week stall actually broke and I'm down 1.5 pounds this morning!!!

Felt good to eat whatever and not give a crap what it was either! Today is a new day and week and i'm back on track!

Patti