Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Michigan Sleevers

Happy Friday! I have a question for anyone who has had their surgery through McLaren Northern Michigan or Dr. Randal Baker...what kind of pre-op diet does he put you on? Does he require you to buy the supplements in the office or give a guideline? I have an appt with him in two weeks, but I am inpatient for answers. ;) Thanks!

Hi BethAnn. You're going to enjoy Dr. Baker. He is an outstanding surgeon and wonderful man in general. He was my surgeon too. I went through his Grand Health Partners (GHP) facility in GR but I'm pretty certain his requirements through McLaren will be similar. I would expect that you will purchase your two week pre-op and two week post op foods and Vitamins from McLaren or directly from GHP. There will be a bunch of information that will be given to you, pay close attention to their recommendations and follow them closely. That is all that I did, follow and do what I was told, and it has worked wonderfully for me. Best of luck to you.

Hi BethAnn. You're going to enjoy Dr. Baker. He is an outstanding surgeon and wonderful man in general. He was my surgeon too. I went through his Grand Health Partners (GHP) facility in GR but I'm pretty certain his requirements through McLaren will be similar. I would expect that you will purchase your two week pre-op and two week post op foods and Vitamins from McLaren or directly from GHP. There will be a bunch of information that will be given to you, pay close attention to their recommendations and follow them closely. That is all that I did, follow and do what I was told, and it has worked wonderfully for me. Best of luck to you.

Thank you so much for your for your response! How was the taste? (I will still follow their instructions, I'm just curious.) Congratulations on your success!

Hello Michiganders! I'm from St Clair Shores, had my surgery on Jan. 24 at Royal Oak Beaumont by Dr. Krause. Everything went great, and I'm 40lbs lighter as of yesterday. Looking forward to connecting with you all

Thank you so much for your for your response! How was the taste? (I will still follow their instructions, I'm just curious.) Congratulations on your success!

The taste pre op was not bad, for packaged food that is. your tastes after surgery will likely change and honestly I did not care about taste at that point any way.

Happy Friday! I have a question for anyone who has had their surgery through McLaren Northern Michigan or Dr. Randal Baker...what kind of pre-op diet does he put you on? Does he require you to buy the supplements in the office or give a guideline? I have an appt with him in two weeks' date=' but I am inpatient for answers. ;) Thanks![/quote']

Hey Beth! I'm going through McLaren as well. I just had an appt the other day and the 2 weeks prior to surgery they have you on a very strict diet. That's how they get your liver smaller so that the surgery is easier. She said that everything can be bought right through the office but I didn't ask if it was mandatory to buy through them. I know she mentioned some high Protein chips that she said were really good. It is the same for post surgery as well - you can get the supplements through the office. Think I may venture out on my own though for that stuff. I guess I will see how much they charge at the office. There are tons of places online that sell supplements and quite a few specifically for weight loss surgery patients.

Hey Beth! I'm going through McLaren as well. I just had an appt the other day and the 2 weeks prior to surgery they have you on a very strict diet. That's how they get your liver smaller so that the surgery is easier. She said that everything can be bought right through the office but I didn't ask if it was mandatory to buy through them. I know she mentioned some high Protein chips that she said were really good. It is the same for post surgery as well - you can get the supplements through the office. Think I may venture out on my own though for that stuff. I guess I will see how much they charge at the office. There are tons of places online that sell supplements and quite a few specifically for weight loss surgery patients.

Hi! Nice to talk with someone going through the same hospital! When is your surgery date? I kind of got the impression that buying through the office was mandatory but I think I will ask because it seems cheaper online. I would live to keep in touch. Good luck! :)

Hi! Nice to talk with someone going through the same hospital! When is your surgery date? I kind of got the impression that buying through the office was mandatory but I think I will ask because it seems cheaper online. I would live to keep in touch. Good luck! :)

It seems kind of squirrely to me if they make it mandatory to buy through them. It probably makes it much easier for compliance though.

My tentative date is August 19 with Dr Nagel.

We should definitely keeping touch!

They know the quality of their products as not all Protein is the same. I've ventured onto the Unjury site and have bought the protein cheese from them on line. When I got to phase iv the nut recommended Protein Bars that could be bought in grocery stores or pharmacies, as well as soy chips from meijers in an orange bag. I do like the protein bars they sell there. So talk to them when you are ready.

It seems kind of squirrely to me if they make it mandatory to buy through them. It probably makes it much easier for compliance though.

My tentative date is August 19 with Dr Nagel.

We should definitely keeping touch!

How are things? I am hanging in there. The flu is wandering around my family of six. No fun! Still plugging away, waiting for May. Hope things are well with you!

Finally lost the weight I gained after losing 50 pounds. No idea why as I had added Protein and exercise and it came on in 2 days. Waiting for this stall to break. Have lost 8 inches in the last month though so that is encouraging. Maybe my body is shifting....Wearing size 16 and XL rather than 2 x and 22/24 so I know I have made progress. My siblings don't acknowledge it but people that are friends are amazed when they see me and don't know I've had the surgery. Not sure what that is about but....hey, my husband and kids are supportive and that is what is important as well as close friends.!!!

Finally lost the weight I gained after losing 50 pounds. No idea why as I had added Protein and exercise and it came on in 2 days. Waiting for this stall to break. Have lost 8 inches in the last month though so that is encouraging. Maybe my body is shifting....Wearing size 16 and XL rather than 2 x and 22/24 so I know I have made progress. My siblings don't acknowledge it but people that are friends are amazed when they see me and don't know I've had the surgery. Not sure what that is about but....hey, my husband and kids are supportive and that is what is important as well as close friends.!!!

That is so great! Don't give up, right? I have some support in my family. My husband is finally coming around. We had an argument where I called him selfish and then he said I was the one who was selfish for having surgery because I don't like how I look. I am glad his true feelings came out because I explained to him the statistics and that my decision was because I want to be healthy and live to see my grandkids someday, not because I am vain. (Though, yes, that will also be an added bonus!) I think when the people I love that are skeptical see how happy and healthy I will be, they will stop their criticism. And if not, who needs 'em?! LOL

I had my sleeve on Jan 9 in Fl. We spend the summers near Flint. Does anyone know if there are any support meetings in the area?

I live in Jackson, but my surgeon and support group is in Muskegon. Don't know anything about the Flint area though.

Sleever in Novi. Got the sleeve done on February 27 at the Barric clinic. Down about 20 some lbs. doing a little up and down right now but plugging along. Can't wait for my April 9 appt so I can get the all clear to go back to my normal gym routine. I can't stand cardio machines. My Dr wants me to do soft foods for another couple

Months. No biggie, I like crock pot stuff. I am weighing my food as well and sticking to 2.3-3 ounces.

Hi, from kentwood, MI. Was sleeved 3/7/13 from GHP Dr. Kemmeter. Everything going really good. I have a problem swallowing the Vitamin pills is there any suggestions out there? Has anyone tried Biotin and does it work?