Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Michigan Sleevers

Hey all! Had my surgery last Thursday, May 16, at Beaumont Royal Oak by Dr. Chengelis. He is awesome! Recovery has been surprisingly easy. Definitely still sore, but I haven't had any horrible side affects like a lot of people experience. Worst thing has been the gas pressure!! But hopefully that will be done soon!

Good luck to you all!!

I am just starting this journey, but plan on having my sleeve done by Dr. Kemmeter or Dr. Foote at Grand Health Partners. Unsure yet if I will be having it done at Spectrum or St. Mary's. Unsure if I decide where it's done or if which surgeon I pick decides where I'll have it done. But I'd prefer St. Mary's!!

Hi Kelly,

I'm with dr foote at GHP also. They are submitting to insurance and I hope to have surgery in June or for sure August.

The submitting part has taken them over a week just to send the paperwork via fax to my ins company! Not really happy about that, just anxious to get on with it and avoid summer vacation conflicts.

TBC - that must have felt frustrating (having them take so long just to submit the paperwork). I hope that's not how long it always takes them! I'm really hoping to have this surgery sooner rather than later. I am at a BMI over 50 so my insurance does not require me to do the 6 month waiting period, but I will still have the psych eval and other consults/appointments first, I'm sure. So I'm not really sure yet when I'm hoping to have the surgery. ASAP, I guess!

I hope you get your surgery date, soon!! How do you like Dr. Foote? Dr. Kemmeter was who did the seminar I attended and I really liked him, but I've also heard really great things about Dr. Foote!

I am just starting this journey' date=' but plan on having my sleeve done by Dr. Kemmeter or Dr. Foote at Grand Health Partners. Unsure yet if I will be having it done at Spectrum or St. Mary's. Unsure if I decide where it's done or if which surgeon I pick decides where I'll have it done. But I'd prefer St. Mary's!![/quote']

I had Dr Foote in Grand Haven. A girl in my group meeting was having him do hers at St Marys same week as mine 5/15.

Grand Haven office probably not as busy as Grand Rapids office but I turned in my paperwork on a Thurs & was called with approval on Mon. They wanted to schedule surgery in 2 weeks but I had to do 4 weeks so I could arrange time off from work.

Dr. Kemmeter did my seminar too, I really liked him also. I just decided on dr foote because he has done the most sleeves and was kind of a pioneer in it. I met him last week and really liked him, very easy going and very competent. He put my mind to rest about complications and explained some of the technical things he does in surgeries to eliminate some of the main complications. I left feeling like I didn't need to worry about complications any more, that I was in very capable hands.

The insurance submission has been a frustration, absolutely. I assumed it would go in pretty much right after the surgeon/psych visit, never dreamed it would sit around over a week. Not sure if that is normal or not.

I'm not sure how many Dr. Kemmeter has done, but I would like someone who has done a lot! Right now, being as I'm right at the beginning of the journey, I'm more worried about the financing and money aspect than the complications of surgery lol. Probably because it seems so far away!

I have no idea how I missed this Michigan group, but am really glad to hear about some of you. I was sleeved Oct. 22, down 57 lbs and about 30 to go. Since many of you sound like you are surprised about the length of time it takes to get approved/scheduled, I will tell you I started in April of last year and didn't get approved until July. We have HAP and I had to jump through several hoops to get there. Then we had an all day group information meeting, scheduled visit with the Dr., Psych evaluation, Medical clearance appointment and Physical Therapy evaluation all of which took a few more months before I could be scheduled. Dr. Carlin at downtown Henry Ford was my Dr. (only one HAP would pay for), he is wonderful and so is his staff. I wasn't excited about going to Detroit, but was quite pleased with the care and the hospital (I am a nurse so might be a little more critical that most people). Staff was very knowledgeable and informative.

Surgery was easy, recovery was nothing unexpected, never took any pain meds once I got home, although I do know other people who weren't as lucky. Recovery at home was great. Weight loss has been a little slow recently, but exercise has been difficult at times due to arthritis pain in knee (facing joint replacement next). Never-the-less, I am ecstatic with the results and have never regretted my decision for a single moment. Good Luck everyone!!!

Kellysouthpaw: I had mine done by Dr. Kemmeter and everything went great. Very informative and personable. If you read his Bio it is very impressive. But all the dr.s at GHP are. I also went to St.Mary's, the staff there is wonderful, really recommend St.Mary's for the surgery. If you have any other questions about Dr.Kemmeter, hospital or anything else I will be glad and try to help. Good luck on your journey and I am sure you will be very happy with your decision.

Is anyone going to the support group Tuesday @ St.Mary's? (Dr.Zeni)

Hi Jenna. Dr Zeni is also my surgeon n surgery is June 12th. Gettin closer I am so excited! What time is the supports meeting and do u know if is in Livonia? I might go n my sis n law also. She goin through Zeni also but no date yet cuz of insurance requirements.

Anyone close to Lansing and doing the color run (I'm walking) 5K on July 13th???