Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Warning to new sleeves

Yep. Always better to follow your doctor's orders. I learned this the hard way.

I decided that I would try eating real food instead of mushies. Only 4 weeks out but it had been clear sailing and I thought I knew everything about this new stomach. Sadly, that was as stupid as it sounds.

I was careful to chew very completely. I was Ok immediately after eating, but when I began diligently drinking my Water 30 minutes later I began to feel awful. My food felt like a cement pipe in my stomach and I was terrified that I had ruptured my staple line. I called my surgeon who was less than pleased with me. I went through more than 24 hours of misery because I had been stupid and headstrong.

Be aware that advancing to the next stage of your diet early can land you back in the hospital for up to 5 weeks with a staple leak. According to my doctor, the treatment is an OPEN surgery--no less invasive laparoscopic work this time! Then massive antibiotics and about a week in the ICU. Imagine the expense! Oh, and 5 weeks of liquid diet. No delicious smelling meal is worth that.

Ya'll we got this way because we have issues with food so it is hard for us to be rational about our addictions. But please, be saner than me.

I'm embarrassed to write this but I want to warn NEW SLEEVES. LISTEN to what your doctor says! FOLLOW his food rules...HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT!!!

I will be out three weeks on Tuesday. I'm on puree food right now. Well I took out a cooked chicken leg last night and I was going to puree it. Only I got a phone call and needed to leave and go to the ER for my father in law. SO instead of puree the chicken leg LIKE I WAS TOLD TO DO...I ate it. In fact I enjoyed it so much I ate some of the skin too. Well I don't live very far from the hospital so it MIGHT have taken me 5 minutes to get there. I went in and got to go in the room to see my father in law. ALL of a sudden the Chicken hit me. I HONESTLY thought I was going to THROW UP AND CRAP MY PANTS! I quickly found out what happened and what they were planning on doing with him and told him I had to go. Went straight to the bathroom and well lets just say I didn't throw up but I did do the other and just barely made it.

I then had to leave the hospital because I felt SO BAD! Had to hit the bathroom several more times when I got home. OMG I know I MESSED UP with the SKIN but that is an OLD HABIT I have to NEVER TOUCH AGAIN!

I haven't been sick with anything else and thought I was doing SO GREAT I could have anything. I was WRONG...I HAVE to LISTEN to my doctor! Just because I feel great and normal I'm NOT!! My stomach is still LEARNING!

GOOD LUCK everyone!!

Oh my dear!! You are so right, every single day in our sleeved lives it will be a learning curve. Even far out when you find out you can once again eat things you at one point weren't able to. I'm glad to hear you didn't do too much damage.

Thank you for posting this too, because it really does show that our Surgeons know what they are talking about and we should always do our very best to follow their post op guidelines.

One day at a time!!

yes, my nutritionist told me to measure EVERYTHING. only 4 tbsp at a time, of only a couple of things. and at first i was obedient and lately i have just been eating on the fly. just grab and go. and last night i was grab and go while taking my son on the highway to his dads and wasnt listening and my drive thru sought revenge. yes, the 2 and half chicken nuggets that i can barely eat. and it was awful. i ate entirely too fast. and so today, i vowed that i was going to start re-measuring everything. and trying hard to drink more than i eat. hopefully that will also get my out of my stall. but yes, its a hard lesson and one that we dont soon forget.

Thankyou for sharing your story, I love reading what other people have been through it helps to see what others have been through and that everyone is different.. And its a great learning from others, Thankyou... Im glad you werent more sick on the chicken though!!!