Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'll be honest here...I am not taking my vitamins

I really have not taken any Vitamins consistently since my surgery on July 13th. I've been honest with my surgeon, who tells me that this "is really not a good idea." I'm not quite sure what the problem is. Are there any other sleevers out there who will own up to not taking vitiamins? I'm looking for some motivation to get on a Vitamin regimen, but I can't seem to find the motivation within myself. Generally I feel good and I've done incredibly well in losing weight - I am down about 115 pounds since starting the process, but I am wondering if I am going to regret not being more diligent about the Vitamins.< /p>

I'd really appreciate hear some thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Brian

I take my Vitamins religiously. At first I fought with myself, but when I thought about why I had this surgery,, to get healthy. I want to be healthy, not sick in some other way as a result of trying to get healthy. On the plus side, I have managed NOT to get the awful flu and cold going around all around me and I attribute that to the vitamins.

Brain, I have not taken Vitamins since the Thursday before my surgery, almost 3 months ago. chewable vitamins make me sick and the pill form of vitamins seem so big, I know its not a good excuse. I try to usually take my Vitamin D and Iron, well honestly now that I think of it its been 2 weeks. I think between trying to get in enough fluids and eating all the Protein its hard to squeeze in one more thing (another excuse). We should a least try to take a Multivitamin to start. Plus, I have to go for blood work soon and don't want my doctor to know.

Amazon job on the weight loss, you should be so proud of yourself, Janine

I too struggle with taking my Vitamins. Not because they make me sick, I just forget.

My Vitamin protocol (for now) is fairly simple, in the am I take 2 adult gummies (they taste good I buy them at Costco) 2 chewable Calcium citrate (ordered them http://www.celebratevitamins.com), 1 Biotin and 1 sublingual B12. In the pm I take the same but omit the Biotin and B12. I bought one of those granny style pill case holders and helps to remind me, and I fill it once a week. A lot of bariatric Vitamin sellers wil let you order a sample pack to "try" before you buy.

My surgeon just changed his guidelines for blood work for sleevers to be at 6 months post-op. I'm not going to take Iron unless I need to. Same for other possible Vitamins.

I don't know what to say except that I've never before taken daily meds or any other Vitamins in my life (this is the first time!) and I guess I just viewed it as necessary...you know part of the guidelines we agree to live by if we want to make our surgeries a success. I DO want to be successful, and healthy. And since I'm on the Quest for health, I don't want to short-change myself. I started the vitamins before surgery so that it would be a habit after.

Do you know what the roadblock is for you personally? Is it that you forget, or don't like the taste, etc? I think trying to identify what is hard for you personally about taking your vitamins regularly might help you figure out ways to make it easier.

I know I resist taking any kind of pills, but I guess that part of my life is over! You do not want to find out you are low on something after the fact... it can mean nerve damage or brittle bones.... When I found out I was low on D3 and B12, I started taking them and a host of low grade problems got better pretty fast. Just go out and buy all the danged things and get them into your plan. Your building a new you!

I've always been a Vitamin taker. After surgery, my thought process didn't change, but I went a couple of months without taking Calcium because I just was living life, going, going and going, and hated being tied down by taking 6 fricken pills a day on top of my 2 multis.

I had a long "come to Jesus" talk with myself.

1) I put my body through hell with surgery and major weight loss to gain health, right? Why in the hell am I half-assing taking my Vitamins? ? ?

2) Did I really want to end up with deficiencies that take months to get back up to normal levels after working my ass to get healthy? ? ?

3) Is it really fair to my body to make it suffer long-term out of pure laziness, and lack of consistency with my calcium?

Those the top three questions I asked myself, and then I really got serious about my Vitamin regimen.

I only take 4 chewables each day. 2 multis and 2 calcium citrate, both from Celebrate Vitamins. I pop a sublingual B12 about 3-4 days per week because my last levels were double the high normal range so I was able to cut back on that one.

I'm an extremely logical person. For me, and me alone, I could not find a good enough reason to let the vitamins go if I had gone through surgery to attain better health. There are tons of published studies out showing that even a "normal" person's body can not get enough of the macro and micro nutrients from food. So, I figured if I'm barely getting in 1500-1800 calories a day, and the majority of my calories come from meat and dairy, how in the hell is my body truly getting enough of everything it needs? ? ?

Taking vitamins for me is just as important as brushing my teeth, or bathing every day. It's a habit, and while I don't personally like carrying spare vitamins with me every day of my life, I do it because I know in the long run, it's going to have more a of payoff.

2½ month out from surgery now.

3 weeks ago, I started to be lazy around my Vitamins and proteindrinks.

Simply "forgot" it.

Now I am ill, very tired and feeling blue.

I am quite sure, it has something to do with lack of nutrition

Need to get back on track

Get back on the plan... could be B vits or iron... I would get a blood panel and see whats up asap.

Here's my $.02.

Normal modern day eaters really don't need addional Vitamins unless they have a specific Vitamin deficiency due to improper diet, disease or heredity. The modern first world diet is chock full of more than enough in the fortified foods we all ate too much of. It is often said that modern people, especially Americans, have the most expensive urine in the world. It's full of Vitamins that we DON'T adsorb and simply pass through. However people not eating much caloric intake - like sleevers - CAN rack up a Vitamin deficiency quite easily just because of the lack of fortified food in the diet.

The word of caution is this - it is VERY easy to rack up a vitamin deficiency and an illness because of the lack of vitamins - it is VERY HARD and VERY EXPENSIVE both in $$$ AND in the toll it can take on your body to CURE a disease that is due to a vitamin deficiency Once you have the symptoms of a disease caused by lack of vitamins you are WELL PAST the time when it can be easily reversed by vitamin supplements. Vitamins are cheap insurance to avoid such diseases.

Hey all :) After surgery I had a hard time taking Vitamin capsules and the chewable versions as well. When I went to my doctor's appt, they put me on to the Bariatric Advantage mulitvitamin powder. It's a nice fruity flavor and settles on the stomach easily. Thank goodness for it or I too would not be taking my Vitamins. Sure can tell a difference too. not all draggy feeling like when I wasn't getting my vitamins in. Highly recommend Bariatric advantage mulitvitamin chrystals!

LOL - I hadn't seen your post, but I just posted my own post about not taking my Vitamins. At the same time, I posted my new attempt to try and get me take that stuff:

See my topic here:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/14716-reviva-the-vitamin-conundrum/

I am only taking the Reviva liquid vitamins for less than a week now, but it is so much easier on me. Maybe that's worth a try - it's not cheap but goes down much much easier than those multi Vitamin horse pills. You didn't really say why you are not taking them, but if the swallowing is part of the problem, liquid may be the way to go.

One definite change brought on by the sleeve is that your smaller stomach produces less acid and acid is needed for Iron absorption

Here's my $.02.

Normal modern day eaters really don't need addional Vitamins unless they have a specific Vitamin deficiency due to improper diet, disease or heredity. The modern first world diet is chock full of more than enough in the fortified foods we all ate too much of. It is often said that modern people, especially Americans, have the most expensive urine in the world. It's full of Vitamins that we DON'T adsorb and simply pass through. However people not eating much caloric intake - like sleevers - CAN rack up a Vitamin deficiency quite easily just because of the lack of fortified food in the diet.

The word of caution is this - it is VERY easy to rack up a vitamin deficiency and an illness because of the lack of vitamins - it is VERY HARD and VERY EXPENSIVE both in $$$ AND in the toll it can take on your body to CURE a disease that is due to a vitamin deficiency Once you have the symptoms of a disease caused by lack of vitamins you are WELL PAST the time when it can be easily reversed by vitamin supplements. Vitamins are cheap insurance to avoid such diseases.

Rootman, great post. I am getting ready to schedule my appointment with Dr. Almanza and hopefully have my surgery next month( passport). Could you tell me of your experience, good and bad. What was your expectations when you went and were you disappointed or surprised by the experience. What would you change, any tips?

Thank you.

Just listen to Tiffykins and Rootman. Vitamins are very important in maintaining health. If you don't like taking pills or they won't go down, that is no excuse. There are several different delivery systems (to get them into your body...not in the mail!!! :) ). This is one of the most important things you will do for yourself. Time to put on your big person panties and take good care of yourself. Kathe