Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was YOUR last straw?

My dh and I had researched WLS and just didn't like the choices. So we resigned ourselves to the fact that I would just have to work on it on my own. Then we heard about the lapband, and researched the possibilities. OMG We jumped all over it. That was about 2 years ago. This whole time we have been researching everything, and making sure the choice I made in doctors was a correct one. I also knew I needed to have the apron surgery beforehand since it was making my exercise life a living hell. I wanted to research that as well, and have everything planned out perfectly.

I had been on low carb for three years. Went from 318 to 268 and stayed at 268 for 9 months. Could not break that plateau. Then started "cheating" again and gaining back up and up. No matter what I did, the volume of the food did me in. All the diets gave portions that were too small for me (2 oz of meat at a time...yeah right).

After being in the hospital for chest pains, borderline diabetic, foot pain, back pain, dealing with PCOS, and being fat for over 12 years I had to do something. I do not want to die at 58 like my parents.

My theory is that if I can limit the volume of the food I eat, and stay low carb then maybe I can break that 268 mark and hopefully see 200... or heaven help me I will get to 180 (my goal). I will be a 14/16 then and can live with that. The 30/32's are something I don't want to see again...ever.

My hubby suggested weight loss surgery when I hit 294 again. I was bawling on the bathroom floor, and he said we would do what ever it takes to make me happy and healthy. Then I started to research and decided the band was the best thing for me.

I was one of those fat people in complete denial. I bought a new outfit for a wedding in February, thought I looked pretty good.......until I saw the pictures!! OMG..I saw a pitcure of my poor husband dancing with me, he couldn't even come close to putting his arms around me, it was a very sad picture, along with other pictures that were totally gross. That was it, like a brick in the face. Booked my consultation the following Monday!! Never looked back.:)

OK, I wanted to add this...I forgotten all about it.

When I was with my ex ( he was 5'10 and 125!!) and never said one thing about weight...ever. We went on vacation to Gatlinburg. We had a speical room with a fire place and all the extras. He went out to get us dinner and I thought I would take a bath...I run the Water...slide in..and all of a sudden....STUCK. I mean...the suction from my back to the tub STUCK. I sat there for an hour...crying. It was so awful. He came in..and heard me...We emptied the tub...and nothing...I was stuck. He finally found away to get me out...but the damage was done. I was so embarrased that I couldnt bear to look at him. One week later...I broke up with him, even though he was perfect to me. I felt like I was setting him free...he didnt have to be burdened by my problems. He is a very well known dance teacher and I had gotten to the point where I hadnt been dancing with him in 2years...it was just too painful.

My decision cam after a life time of "last straw moments".

The week before I had my surgery I lost my job. Im a self pay and this had to be the worst thing ive ever been thru. I felt like I lost my life....then..I thought...whats so bad about that.. Im starting over! This is my new life..and my chance to do the things Ive always said I was going to do and havent....

This is my chance.

I was one of those fat people in complete denial. I bought a new outfit for a wedding in February, thought I looked pretty good.......until I saw the pictures!! OMG..I saw a pitcure of my poor husband dancing with me, he couldn't even come close to putting his arms around me, it was a very sad picture, along with other pictures that were totally gross. That was it, like a brick in the face. Booked my consultation the following Monday!! Never looked back.:)

I can relate to that. I look at pictures of myself and think they don't look at all like I look to myself in the mirror.

I had many Last Straws...

I was so tired of being on the diet bandwagon. It hit me:

There are only 5 Ways To Lose Weight (this is a trademarked Sho-ism :) phrase):

• Diets
    • Exercise
    • Prescriptions & diet pills
    • Programs & Support Meetings
    • Surgery

1. Then I realized, I had been doing the first 4 ways and nothing was working. I only had the 5th option to try. I knew surgery was my only chance.
  2. Realizing that I could no longer wear the brands, style and types of clothing that I liked. Shopping is my passion and the higher my weight crept up, the fewer fashion options I had. This finally hit me at the mall one day.

3. Having this miserable little man make fun of me & my weight in an online forum/message board (I never gave him the time of day so he felt justified in making comments about my appearance, my clothing, and me - although he didn't know me.) It made me mad that being obese made me a target.

Happy Band (And Life) Journeys To All...

It just hit me one day as I got out of the shower. I saw myself in the mirror and flipped. I cried, yelled, screamed, pinched my fat, threw myself on my bed crying. Slight breakdown I think. But I'm good now :)

At my last yearly check-up, My doctor said my blood pressure was high and I need to keep track of it for at least two weeks. I thought now this is it! My mother was diagnosed with High Blood Preasure and my Father with Diabetes in their 60's. I am going to get both in my 40's, and I will be dead by my 60's like my Father's parents and siblings! That was the last straw that made me call and schedule my surgery. When I went back to my Doctor for Pre-op testing I had been on the pre-op diet and lost 6 pounds. She said your Blood Pressure is fine. That was my sign that I was finally on the right track!

Candysmooch.....It was an awful moment particularly because my kids had to witness someone being so cruel to their mother.To be honest I was too shattered and shocked to retaliate. So I ignored him, didn't mention it and when I got home in the privacy of my own bedroom I cried and cried like I had never cried before.....it was definitely my lowest point.It actually shocked me....I knew that being 5ft7in and 276lbs made me obese but I didn't realise that I was such a "target" for someone elses anger and contempt.I suppose in a perverse way I should thank him because he was definitely a catalyst in my decision to have WLS.

I had LOTS of moments when I knew I had to do something - for YEARS. Having been fat since childhood - I had my entire life from the age of about 13 contemplate being overweight.

Several times along the way, I had "epiphanies" that put me on the path to good health - the diet & exercise path... I did lowfat, low carb, onion Soup and every other thing you could think of. It never "stuck".

FINALLY - I was sitting one day, wrapping my legs to keep the swelling from my Venous Stasis from making my ankles swell to the size of watermelons, and it occurred to me that I was going to have to wrap those legs every day for the rest of my life... and if I had THIS at 40, what was going to pop up at 45? What about 50? God Help Me - what would it all be like at 60? Would I even live that long?

I decided on the spot that no method was too drastic - I would find out what needed to be done to have the gastric by-pass. I would lose the weight - no matter the cost. I had no idea the lap-band existed - I was fortunate to discover it during the very first days of my internet research into getting the by-pass.

While I have not burned any records into the books with my loss - I am losing - and with this last fill, I am losing a little more rapidly. I have no side effects - no pb's and my life has not changed dramatically, except for the amount of food that I eat and the way that I feel after losing 25 official pounds.

"Official pounds" means what the doctor's scale says I weigh. I am happy to report that my home scale is showing the benefits of having the proper restriction! Unofficial pounds lost? 36 lbs!! woo hoo!!

I never made a better decision in my life than getting the band.

Mine was after a few months on steroids I had gained 10 pounds. The real kicker was when my new blood pressure meds helped me gain another 5 pounds. The extra weight made my joints ache at night. My feet have always been a bother and I really hobbled when I first stood up to walk.

I knew was in a vicious cycle that I couldn't break alone.:faint:

I've lost most of that 15 pounds since surgery and my aches and pains are quickly subsiding. Blood pressure is also much better!!!!:clap2: :clap2::clap2: :clap2:

A male co-worker commented on my smoking; "You could drop dead right here from smoking. What would we do? We'd have to get a crane to lift you." Another co-worker, who claimed to be my friend, doubled over laughing. (A couple of years earlier a co-worker "mooed" at me.")

I didn't recognize myself in the mirror because I was so swollen looking.

I had problems with joint pains, difficulty sleeping, tired all the time. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, .... I realized that I would have to diet the rest of my life if I wanted to quit smoking and have an active lifestyle. I don't regret my decision.

Banded: May 9, 2006

Dr. Carter

211/195/150 - 5'6"

I just can't believe how mean people are. Too bad that we can't see his penis maybe we could say, "OMG did you stop growing at birth?" that thing is pathetic....... wouldn't that be funny? We all have to remember that if someone is picking on you they are just giving some one else a break. It does hurt to the core though. This is a great thread. Very touching. so much pain caused by fat......

will be banded on tomorrow

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

weight.png

[/url]

Actually, what my co-workers said and did didn't hurt as much as it made me angry. VERY angry. I never want to be placed in a situation like that again. I'm glad I confronted them but just wish I hadn't cursed at them. I'm sure they will think twice before making comments like that again.

My last straw? Well, it had to be after the third doctor told me the only way they would remove the tumor behind my knee was if I would be banded and lose 100 lbs. Of course, they didn't know that the bariatric doctor would make me lose 123 pounds before I could be banded.

So, I've lost 56 pounds on this journey so far. The fat that was holding the tumor is now gone, so the mass is swinging between my legs. Lovely. I'm tempted to get the hedge clippers and my quilting needle to finish the job, but I guess I will wait so they can reconstruct my leg properly.

See, I have been jolly and fat so long, it feels normal. I have never felt fat in groups, and only get that "damn" look when traveling for my job. If the tumor wasn't hampering my walking, I would still be jolly and fat.

Now, that I've started losing, those near and dear to me are excited. I didn't realize how many had been planning my funeral to a heart attack.

I love discovering a wellspring of energy, furniture that I can now sit in comfortably, and I sleep better. So, it took a tumor to make me see the light.