Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

which is better sleeve vs lap-ban for pregnancy

Hello all,

I’m new and I’m looking up with surgery is best for me…my INS covers the sleeve, bypass, and lap-band!!???

I looking for which is best for my lifestyle ….I have a son that is 1 but it took us almost 10yrs of trying…which we feel has a lot to do with my mothers passed 3month before we found out…so once I get the surgery and we get the okay we will be trying once again for our second!!

So please lady’s let me know why did you choose the sleeve over the others surgeries????

Thanks!

I had the band first because the sleeve was not an option. I personally would not/will not recommend the band to anyone. Not only because of my own personal horror story, but because the stats honestly just suck. You can check out my blog as I have an entire post with information from the band manufacturer in my blog with their most recent findings that 1 in 4 band patients will need another surgery to either repair, replace, or remove and revise to another surgery within the first 5 years. I chose the band because I refused to have RNY.

As for pregnancy, I can't imagine being pregnant with the band. The food intolerances along would make me miserable, and I'm so grateful that I was able to revise to VSG when it was time to say adios to my band. I can now eat a very nutrient dense, balanced diet with my sleeve without any puking, sliming, productive burping, or food getting stuck and then having to wretch it up for a good 20 minutes.

My blog also has tons of links for VSG research, and articles along with dietary guidelines, and other bits and pieces I've compiled over the 20 something months I've been researching and living with the sleeve.

The post in my blog titled "Just to bookmark this stuff" is the band post, and the one that is more recent is all the research links that I found invaluable during my research stage.

We are currently trying to conceive, and I"m only 17 months out and have actually been not preventing for almost 9 months now. We know that my body went through hell during my surgeries and rapid weight loss so we are trying to be patient. BUT, we're still hoping for a big fat positive test in the near future.

Best wishes in your research.

I had the band first because the sleeve was not an option. I personally would not/will not recommend the band to anyone. Not only because of my own personal horror story, but because the stats honestly just suck. You can check out my blog as I have an entire post with information from the band manufacturer in my blog with their most recent findings that 1 in 4 band patients will need another surgery to either repair, replace, or remove and revise to another surgery within the first 5 years. I chose the band because I refused to have RNY.

As for pregnancy, I can't imagine being pregnant with the band. The food intolerances along would make me miserable, and I'm so grateful that I was able to revise to VSG when it was time to say adios to my band. I can now eat a very nutrient dense, balanced diet with my sleeve without any puking, sliming, productive burping, or food getting stuck and then having to wretch it up for a good 20 minutes.

My blog also has tons of links for VSG research, and articles along with dietary guidelines, and other bits and pieces I've compiled over the 20 something months I've been researching and living with the sleeve.

The post in my blog titled "Just to bookmark this stuff" is the band post, and the one that is more recent is all the research links that I found invaluable during my research stage.

We are currently trying to conceive, and I"m only 17 months out and have actually been not preventing for almost 9 months now. We know that my body went through hell during my surgeries and rapid weight loss so we are trying to be patient. BUT, we're still hoping for a big fat positive test in the near future.

Best wishes in your research.

thanks so much for replying!

i'm just so scared and like i said every new to all this!! i'm trying to see whats best for me and i need something thats has a fast recovery time and hospital stay! i also want to be able to still eat!! lol

good luck on TTC!

Sending Baby dust your way!

thanks so much for replying!

i'm just so scared and like i said every new to all this!! i'm trying to see whats best for me and i need something thats has a fast recovery time and hospital stay! i also want to be able to still eat!! lol

good luck on TTC!

Sending Baby dust your way!

Thank you bunches. When figuring in time, recovery, and maintenance. Remember, you need to figure in drive time, wait time, and doctor appointment time to get fills in attempts to get to your sweet spot with the band. With the sleeve it's instant restriction, no maintenance, no follow up for fills, and if you have out of pocket expenses, those visits can get expensive if your insurance only covers so many fills per year/per lifetime.

If you're researching, I would recommend checking out the complications forum on lapbandtalk.com and check out the Band to Sleeve revision forum on here to hear some personal accounts of people that have or had bands.

Thank you bunches. When figuring in time, recovery, and maintenance. Remember, you need to figure in drive time, wait time, and doctor appointment time to get fills in attempts to get to your sweet spot with the band. With the sleeve it's instant restriction, no maintenance, no follow up for fills, and if you have out of pocket expenses, those visits can get expensive if your insurance only covers so many fills per year/per lifetime.

If you're researching, I would recommend checking out the complications forum on lapbandtalk.com and check out the Band to Sleeve revision forum on here to hear some personal accounts of people that have or had bands.

Omgoodness!! I just seen how bad my spelling is!! I think I should stop having my son sit on my lap while I type!

I'm every new to this and I cant wait for my options class to start!! I need all the info i can get!

My husband wants me to do the lap-band because he thinks it safer!!and he thinks we can eat better with the band!!???

I'm betting not. Lap_band eating sounds like a joke. Sleeve is more dangerous, but only by so much. After all I've read here, I've (almost totally) decided AGAINST the band.

Omgoodness!! I just seen how bad my spelling is!! I think I should stop having my son sit on my lap while I type!

I'm every new to this and I cant wait for my options class to start!! I need all the info i can get!

My husband wants me to do the lap-band because he thinks it safer!!and he thinks we can eat better with the band!!???

There is nothing safer about the band vs. the sleeve. If you have to worry about food issues, imagine the morning sickness and puking with a band wrapped around your stomach. With excessive puking, comes slippage and erosion.

With the stats on the band, have your husband read my blog. He can read the complications with the band long term. 1 in 4 band patients will have to have another surgery within 5 years. Does he want you to not be able to eat a good solid diet because food gets stuck? ? ?

The band may be "safer" initially, but think long term. Think 2-3 years out.

Tiffany you are an amazing pillar of knowledge!!!! Thanks so much for putting perspective into this whole journey for me. I want, also, to congratulate you on your pregnancy. This is the reason I'm opting for wls. My husband and i have ben ttc for over a year know. We lost two babies to ectopic and now I'm missing one tube and the other tube is destroyed, malformed and completely damaged, ie: no hope for natural conception....unless to get recannelization which is not really recommended.....sigh. I wish you the best and safest pregnancy with a beautiful bouncing baby!!!!!!

I had the Lapband while I was pregnant. I had a great pregnancy as I still had "some" restriction but was able to eat healthy and maintain the appropriate calorie intake. HOWEVER, when I was 37.5 weeks, my band slipped causing MAJOR complications and I had to deliver my son under general anesthesia because they had to get him out and my band out at the same time. It was awful :( My son is now 10 months and I am grateful and lucky enough to be getting sleeved July 11th. If I had the choice to do it all over again, I would have DEFINITELY gone with the sleeve! Good luck with your decision and I hope you get your little bundel of joy :)