Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over 60 and having the sleeve

Hello Suzanne,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know what you mean about getting nervous about surgery. I almost chickened out several times before I finally did it. My co-worker just kept telling me it is so worth it and helped reinforce my decision. I really admire him and respect his opinion so he literally walked me out onto the edge :)

I am just at the beginning of my journey but it is nice to have someone to "follow". That's why I love these boards. I hope that I can be a mentor to someone someday who needs this surgery to turn their life around. I love my decision! I am in healthcare and got so sick of being a hypocrite. Now as I drop the weight I can lift my head up high and really help encourage others!

Hello Suzanne,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know what you mean about getting nervous about surgery. I almost chickened out several times before I finally did it. My co-worker just kept telling me it is so worth it and helped reinforce my decision. I really admire him and respect his opinion so he literally walked me out onto the edge :)

I am just at the beginning of my journey but it is nice to have someone to "follow". That's why I love these boards. I hope that I can be a mentor to someone someday who needs this surgery to turn their life around. I love my decision! I am in healthcare and got so sick of being a hypocrite. Now as I drop the weight I can lift my head up high and really help encourage others!

Hi,

Once you have been downthe road and have some experience and feel comfortable, you will be able to mentor people.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I am 61, and would get it tomorrow if I had the money. Am trying to save enough to go to Mexico. Can I ask where you are having yours done?

Surely I am not the only person on this forum that is 60 or over having the sleeve surgery.

I would love to hear from anyone that has had the surgery and how you feel now.

My surgery is scheduled for Nov. 15th, Have had all the pre-op testing completed now just waiting for the big day to get here.

I am 61, and would get it tomorrow if I had the money. Am trying to save enough to go to Mexico. Can I ask where you are having yours done?

Hi,

I have posted this before, but I thought it was worth reposting it for you, instead of you trying to find my 1st post of it. I am here to answer any question that you might have. I also want you to consider getting a loan. I know that there are a lot of companies that loan the money for this. Dr. Aceves office could help you with that. You know we never think twice about getting a car loan. How about thinkg about a body parts loan--you are worth it.

It is never too late in life to consider having WLS (Weight Loss Surgery). I was 63 years old when I had the surgery. I never had a weight problem until after having two children. And then I seemed to struggle with being overweight for years. I now know all the reason why, I became less active, and ate more than I should have. I have tried most of the diets that you have tried, some with success and most no success. But, I would always manage to gain the weight back because I NEVER changed my lifestyle. My top weight was 235 lbs and I am 5’3” tall. My body hurt, my back ached and I had a pain in my leg that felt like I had a hot poker burning me most of the time. So I must have had a high tolerance for pain. Because I remained fat for many years.

I worked with a friend and noticed that she had lost weight, so I started asking her questions. Then she told me about going to Dr. Aceves, MD in Mexicali during the summer. She is a nurse and I really trusted what she was telling me. She directed me to his Web Site and then to the Yahoo Support Group site. I researched WLS (Weight Loss Surgery) for about 6 months before I made a choice. I sat and watched the people on the Yahoo Support Group and never said much for quite sometime. I read all their postings and was getting a lot of information. Now I have learned that is pretty normal for newbie’s to sit and watch for awhile. Then I was sure I wanted to have WLS and my choice was VGS –referred to as the “Sleeve.” So that is the start of my Weight loss journey.

I just didn’t wake up one morning and say “oh in October 2008 I am going to have WLS.” I went through a process of getting here. I believe you have to have your “head” in the right place for this to be successful. I felt awful, I hated my body, and I wanted to be healthy again. If I walked very long my back and leg would hurt. I knew my head was in the right place, when I put myself ahead of everyone else. So many of us are care takers of everyone else and we come so far down on the list of taking care of ourselves. Be prepared for the opposition that you may face from your own family and friends when you tell them that you want to go to Mexico and have weight loss surgery. I believe that we really need to educate them so that they know exactly what we are doing and how safe it is. But this is about YOU and NO one else. You have to be willing to stand up for yourself; you have earned the right to do this. Believe in yourself enough and want this enough to be successful. You also can go and not tell them what you are doing. This is entirely up to you. You can bring a family member or a friend with you too if you feel you want someone to come along with you. Your room will be big enough for them to stay in it. They have some nice sofa’s that your family member or friend can sleep on. I went alone and was just fine. I also went back in April 2009 with a friend of mine who had Weight Loss Surgery after seeing how I was doing. She is at her goal now too, and is just as happy and thrilled as I am with the results.

About 5 years ago I met and fell in love with the most wonderful man. I had been single for 18 years. He is an amazing man and loved me for just who I was—overweight. It didn’t matter to him that I was fat. He has been very supportive and encouraging every step of they way. I can’t begin to tell you all the beautiful and wonderful comments that he gave me then and NOW. I had the surgery because I wanted to become healthy and wanted the opportunity to spend the rest of my life with Bob. Bob could have cared less if I had this surgery, it was my choice. Bob and I were married May 29, 2010 in Cannon Beach, Oregon on the beach.

My weight loss journey has been incredible, and I have learned so many things about myself. food is no longer my driving force. I eat to live not live to eat! When I eat, I actually think about putting good and healthy foods into my (new) 65 yr old body! What a thought. When I am eating I now look for the Protein first because I try to make sure I get 70 grams of Protein per day and then my veggies and some fruit each day. I started keeping track on line what I was actually putting in my body so I would have some idea of the number of calories I was eating each day. I started an exercise program which was just walking and to this day I do some kind of exercise at least 5 days a week. It is mostly walking. I was the person who HATED to exercise and now I actually look forward to getting up early and go walking with some of my friends. Bob and I are very active people so we are always doing all kinds of walking.

I never imagined what life would be like almost 2 years later. And the new clothes that I have purchased since I am a size 8 or 10 depending on who makes the clothing. I see people who haven’t seen me in sometime almost walk right past me because they don’t recognize me. Then they figure out it is me and want to know how I lost all this weight. I have had them ask me if I have been ill and I always give them a big NO! I am more than happy to educate them about the “Sleeve” weight loss surgery. I am very proud of taking control of my life. There is NO shame in making the choice to have weight loss surgery; it takes more courage to have the surgery than to keep failing at all the diets you have tried. This is not a miracle cure where the weight just melts off you. It takes effort on your part to take this new tool you have been given (a new small stomach that only holds 6 to 8 oz) and eat healthy and exercise, but it is going to work and you will be able to maintain your weight loss because you have changed your lifestyle. I never consider myself on a diet, but that I have made a lifestyle change that is going to add years to my life. I am healthy now for the first time in many years. I am not afraid anymore that I will regain this weight. I know that it will never happen because of my restriction I have with a smaller stomach and my lifestyle change that is so easy to do day in and day out. I NEVER feel deprived when it comes to food. I listen to my head when it “says no more food I am full.” I know that I need to stop eating and it is OK to not clean your plate and it is OK to toss the food out.

There are so many things to be thankful for. The first thing I am so thankful for is Dr. Aceves; there aren’t enough adjectives to describe this wonderful gifted doctor. Dr. Aceves genuinely cares about each patient he takes care of. Dr. Aceves will answer all your questions until you are comfortable with what he is telling you. Dr. Aceves is such a talented surgeon, and if I lived closer he would be my Primary Care Physician. Dr. Aceves is down to earth, very kind, intelligent, and honest with you. You will receive the most wonderful care from Dr. Aceves and his team of doctors and nurses. Dr. Aceves comes into your room several times a day and checks on you after your surgery—where in the US will a doctor do this? Most of the staff speaks excellent English. Almater Hospital is the cleanest hospital I have ever been in. They are cleaning 24-7. The hospitals in the US could take some lessons from this private hospital in Mexicali. I would go back to Dr. Aceves in a heartbeat for anything!

I still am shocked when someone calls me skinny—I thought who me skinny—no way? But, it was me they were calling skinny. This is something that you have to learn to get used to hearing. People treat you differently when you are thin. This is so unfair. We are just like everyone else when we are fat and the skinny people just don’t get it.

I am so thankful for my great healthy. I only take about ¼ of the medication I used to take when I was fat. That is because I have become so healthy and I make the choice to eat healthy. Now I won’t tell you that I haven’t had and cake, Cookies or ice cream since I had Weight Loss Surgery. I have, but in small tiny amounts and not all the time. My body now craves good healthy protein; fresh veggies fixed how you want them, and a small amount of fruit. You need to watch the types of carbs that you are going to eat and keep track of what you are eating when you first start your journey in weight loss. There are quite a few places on the Internet that you can write down and track what you are eating to make sure you are keeping your calories at about 800 per day. The best part of about this weight loss surgery is that I NEVER feel hungry. Your mind tries to play tricks on you. So you have to stop and have a talk with yourself. Do I really need to eat or do I just want to eat because that is part of my old bad habits? In the past I really ate large amounts of food all in one meal. We also are given large plates of food when we go out to eat. NONE of us need to eat this much food and that is why we got fat and stayed fat. Now I eat small amounts of food, and I am satisfied and feel great. When we go out to dinner now Bob and I share one meal. We as a society also eat too fast—I feel like I used to inhale my food and really not enjoy it. I took large amounts of food and shoveled it in my mouth and inhaled it. Now I take small tiny bites and chew it a lot.

Weight Loss Surgery really has changed my entire life and it is all for the better. Weight Loss Surgery is a life changing event. Hold on to your hats because this is going to be the ride of your life. You will never have regret. You will only wish you would have had Weight Loss Surgery years before. I think it was the best thing I could have ever done for myself. I am extremely impressed with the entire experience. Dr. Aceves’s patient coordinator Nina has always been very prompt, informative, and courteous with her replies. She is there for any question that you may have. I think this lady works 24 hours a day, because I always received an answer back right away. Nina is awesome and gives you so much support and help before you go and after your surgery too. DO NOT have any fears about going to Mexico, It is VERY safe in Mexicali and they all take such great care of you along your Weight Loss journey. I think we all have the wrong idea of what Health Care is like in Mexico, until we go there an experience it ourselves. It is far superior over anything that they have in the United States.

I feel so much better and I would like to say I feel 20 years younger. Life is fabulous, and I did this for ME and NO one else. I know I will never be fat again in my life. I thanked Dr. Aceves for what he did for me and he said “I only gave you the tool to achieve your Weight Loss, give yourself the credit for making it work.” I still want to say Dr. Aceves you are the BEST!

Suzanne Beaty

Eugene, OR

Sleeved 10/21/2008

225 120 125

Starting Now Goal Weight

Weight

Hi everybody. I just turned 66 in July and have completed all my pre-surgical tests and gotten insurance approval for the sleeve. I had failed a cardiac stress test, but had an angiogram yesterday that found no problems whatsoever. The cardiologist had also done the Holder test and an echo so the heart and circulation is surprisingly well for someone 100 pounds overweight with high BP, diabetes and a family history of heart problems.

Am hoping for an October sleeve. I figure my loss will be slower than my younger counterparts and, yeah, I'll have a lot of sag, but I will love living in Onederland!

Good Luck! Let us know how everything goes. I'm 62 and hope to get sleeved in the next few months.

Hi everybody. I just turned 66 in July and have completed all my pre-surgical tests and gotten insurance approval for the sleeve. I had failed a cardiac stress test, but had an angiogram yesterday that found no problems whatsoever. The cardiologist had also done the Holder test and an echo so the heart and circulation is surprisingly well for someone 100 pounds overweight with high BP, diabetes and a family history of heart problems.

Am hoping for an October sleeve. I figure my loss will be slower than my younger counterparts and, yeah, I'll have a lot of sag, but I will love living in Onederland!

Hi. Welcome to the club!! I am 65 but will turn 66 on October 1, 2011. My VSG is scheduled for October 17 at Mass General Hospital in Boston. I didn't think there were many of us out there getting this operation over 60 years of age. There aren't many hopsitals in Boston who will accept people over 60 or 65, but Mass General seems to do it all the time. I am 150 pounds overweight, have been overweight my whole life and just don't want to live out my last 20, 25 or hopfully 30 years like this! I think you kinda get the picture when you are looking at the rest of your life. I sure want to enjoy it as much as I can. Health problems will always be there, but why make it worse!

Where will you be having your surgery? Sorry to hear about your stress test, but will they give you another one? Let me know how you are doing and if you do get a date.

Best,

"Very" Hopeful Spirit

So glad to hear from you, Hopeful Spirit. My angiogram showed absolutely no blockages or even plaque build-up so I am good to go. The Cath Lab nurse told me that the stress tests are false positive 80% of the time!

I am having my surgery through Banner Bariatric Center in Mesa, Arizona. Their chief surgeon will not even look at someone over 65, so my surgeon will be Al Chen, a younger, but experienced surgeon. They have wonderful nutritional, psychological and exercise support services.

I suspect that I will be an October sleeve as well. Let's stay in touch!

Judy

I am 63 years old and had my surgery June 1st. I have had absolutely NO complications. I had 194 lbs to lose. I am not sure what age has to do with it but I see that there are many who are much much younger that have lots of complications. As you can see by my stats I have done very well since the surgery. When I tell people that I can eat anything I want without any problems they just look at me like I am crazy. Then I have to say I can eat anything I want just not as much as I used to eat. Now I am satisfied with just a few bites of something that I normally would eat lots of . A lot of my success I contribute to my attitude. I was so sure that I was doing the right thing that I was determined I was not going to let my surgery cause any problems. I followed the directions from the Center to the T and did not waiver from their recommendations. From the day after my surgery when I came home I never even stayed in bed one day. I was up and going just like I always had been. I have not regretted having my surgery one single minute. Good Luck to you on your surgery. I know you will be so happy with it.

I am 63 years old and had my surgery June 1st. I have had absolutely NO complications. I had 194 lbs to lose. I am not sure what age has to do with it but I see that there are many who are much much younger that have lots of complications. As you can see by my stats I have done very well since the surgery. When I tell people that I can eat anything I want without any problems they just look at me like I am crazy. Then I have to say I can eat anything I want just not as much as I used to eat. Now I am satisfied with just a few bites of something that I normally would eat lots of . A lot of my success I contribute to my attitude. I was so sure that I was doing the right thing that I was determined I was not going to let my surgery cause any problems. I followed the directions from the Center to the T and did not waiver from their recommendations. From the day after my surgery when I came home I never even stayed in bed one day. I was up and going just like I always had been. I have not regretted having my surgery one single minute. Good Luck to you on your surgery. I know you will be so happy with it.

Love hearing your upbeat personal story! I hope to replicate it in every way. Stay tuned.biggrin.gif

Love hearing your upbeat personal story! I hope to replicate it in every way. Stay tuned.biggrin.gif

Hi, I also love hearing all these success stories or people who are starting out. I am one of the success stories.:D I am 66 had my WLS when I was 63 in Mexicali with Dr. Aceves. I have lost 105 pounds :kiss2: and have maintained my weight loss.

I am always here to help support or answer questions for any of you. I want others to know that this possible with work on your part and making good food choices. I never think about being on a diet because I have made lifestyle changes when it comes to food and what I eat. You also have to be willing to do some kind of exercise. For me walking was what works. I didn't pay for a gym membership or buy lots of equipment. I walk in my neighborhood whne the weather is good and in the winter time, I walk inside a Mall.:clap: :clap:

Congratulations to all of you for thinking about doing this, or if you have already done this. You just keep doing what you are doing.:D

Hugs,

Suzanne :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Hi, I am 65 and had my sleeve on Tues. No problems post op at all,no pain meds, no nausea, just a soreness on abdomen, like you ran into something. First day home yesterday and very hard to get Protein Drink down, today much eaiser. I made a mix of skim milk and Protein Powder to equal 75 gm, keep it in fridge and take a couple sips every few hrs. I should have it gone by 4:00 and then will drink Water till tomorrow am. The amazing part is I have lost 14 pounds since surgery.

Hi gracemarie,

I'm 62 and also had my surgery on Tuesday - congratulations to you! My recovery wasn't quite as smooth as yours, but today was a good day (came home from the hospital) and I feel very optimistic. I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Take care,

Bonnie

I'm so happy to find this forum. I've been looking for info specific to "older" sleevers. I'm 61 now, and heavily in the process of research and investigating doctors. I've got a whole batch of appointments scheduled for the first week of January, and I hope to have my surgery by the end of February at the latest.

As with many of you, I've been overweight all my life and remember the first diet I was on -- Mom put me on a diet at 8 years old. Lots of mixed messages and issues with food. Plus, darn it, I enjoy it. So I have fears -- fear that I will sabotage myself, fear that my metabolism has become so "efficient" that I won't lose weight even with surgery, fear that head hunger will create huge difficulties for me (depression/feelings of deprivation). No fear about the surgery itself. And I have a real excitement about being thin for the first time in my life and being healthy so I can travel and play with the grandkids without wearing myself out and all sorts of other extras that will come along with it. I know I will need support, and I sure do like the opportunity of reading about successes of the "more mature" crowd! If any of you have any other forums or sites that you have found for support or helpful hints or whatever, I'd be thrilled to hear about them! One that I just discovered was a blog named "The World According to Eggface". She's had WLS and has lots of hints and recipes. Good site!

Nancy